I've recently begun to learn Extreme Unction by Necrophagist (which isn't too hard compared to their other songs), and I'm doing well so far, except for the fact I cannot find a decent amp setting at all. I know I'm not going to sound exactly like them on a little practice amp, but I can't find any good sound.

Anybody who could help me out? I'm using a Randall RX15 practice amplifier.

Thanks.

If you listen to their guitar sound properly, you'll realize they don't use as much gain as other death metal bands.
I believe they (or at least suicmez) uses an engl amp. But here's the settings I recommend on a standard 3 way EQ (may be rlly off due to difference in amps, but anywho) (all out of 10):

Bass: 3.5
Mid: 8
Treble: 6 to 7

Gain: 7 to 10 (cuz practice amps tend to have this huge gap between 7 and 10 in terms of how much static they give off and basically sounding like a bee hive).

Don't forget that their solos usually use delay/reverb and whatnot. He may be running an EQ pedal as well.

Overall, I don't think u'll be close to what they sound like just cuz it's a practice amp, but if u really want to, I suggest getting a new amp. And THAT is another story... Hope this helped.

EDIT: Well for bass, u might wanna put that to 5 or 6, just cuz u prolly won't be practicing with an ethereal bassist next to u ALL that time...
Last edited by Hell_Metalist at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by Hell_Metalist
I believe they (or at least suicmez) uses an engl amp. But here's the settings I recommend on a standard 3 way EQ (may be rlly off due to difference in amps, but anywho) (all out of 10):

Bass: 3.5
Mid: 8
Treble: 6 to 7

Gain: 7 to 10 (cuz practice amps tend to have this huge gap between 7 and 10 in terms of how much static they give off and basically sounding like a bee hive).

Don't forget that their solos usually use delay/reverb and whatnot. He may be running an EQ pedal as well.

Overall, I don't think u'll be close to what they sound like just cuz it's a practice amp, but if u really want to, I suggest getting a new amp. And THAT is another story... Hope this helped

Thanks, yeah I just checked sounds pretty good.

I will upgrade my amp when I have the money.
Hell_Metalist's settings were actually really good. I've been learning Epitaph and Extreme Unction lately, so maybe I can help.

I obviously use D standard tuning, and here are my Necrophagist settings:
Gain: 6
Bass: 10
Mid:6-7
Treble: 6-7
Maybe some reverb if you feel like it. I like to use the neck pickup for Muhammed's part of the song.

Make sure to tell me how it goes.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Quote by Hell_Metalist
I believe they (or at least suicmez) uses an engl amp.

I think Muhammed uses an ENGL SE so you'll be seriously lucky to get that tone out of anything even approaching a practice amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm sort of reviving a dead thread here, but the amp settings given to me worked great! I can play Extreme Unction's rhythm parts pretty well now, but I'm leaving the solo until I'm better.

But yeah, thanks anyway guys. I know I'm never gonna get Muhammed's tone perfectly out of a practice amp, but I got close enough.