I know all about the dorians flat 3rd and flat 7th and all of that. I can improv with it...But i'm having a hard time knowing when to use dorian in a chord progression. All I have heard is that dorian is good with minor chords with the flat 3rd...But does that apply to all minor chords? Also what chords wouldn't go with dorian and why?
You use modes in works specifically designed for them. If the song is in a major or minor key, you would use the corresponding major or minor scale, and modes would have nothing to do with it. I strongly suggest ignoring modes until you have a firm grasp on the theory behind the major scale and diatonic harmony. Modes will be far too complicated unless you understand the basics.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jan 20, 2009,
Ok. So what theory do I need to know about the major and minor scales before moving on to modes?
Quote by Rounder3
Ok. So what theory do I need to know about the major and minor scales before moving on to modes?

Start by reading and developing a complete understanding of everything discussed in the Crusades articles (hosted on this site), save for the information about modes (it's very misleading). Your best bet is to pick up a good textbook on music theory such as Piston's Harmony, or Aldwell and Schachter's Harmony and Voice Leading.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You really don't need to know classical theory to use modes.

Anyway it's all in the sticky. For each scale there is a corresponding set of chords that fit with it; find a nice progression within these chords and you can solo to your hearts content over it. For instance the E Dorian goes nicely with Em - G - A.
Quote by Rounder3
I know all about the dorians flat 3rd and flat 7th and all of that. I can improv with it...But i'm having a hard time knowing when to use dorian in a chord progression. All I have heard is that dorian is good with minor chords with the flat 3rd...But does that apply to all minor chords? Also what chords wouldn't go with dorian and why?

Use dorian over a static minor chord, or dorian progression/vamp.