hey dudes, i bought a guitar on friday with a floyd, it's a dean razorback.
its my first time buying a guitar with a floyd, and he sold me it in drop d and i want to tune to standard e. he did sort of show me how to do it, but i was too busy drooling all over the guitar to listen

so far, i have put the fine tuners down to the middle setting, and i know that i now have to loosen the locking nuts and tune the strings like 6th, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 3rd and repeat this about 4 times till its about right.

what the hell do i do next? he said something about the trem springs and some screws in the back, but i cant remember.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

you kind of have to do a balancing act- retune to drop D, but also keep an eye on the angle of the trem above the body (it should be parallel). if it goes off parallel, either loosen or tighten the trem springs (using the screws in the back)- tightening will pull the trem closer to the body, loosening the opposite. bear in mind that touching the screws will also affect the tuning too (as i said, it's a balancing act).

tuning all the strings the way you mentioned is a good idea too, as when you change one string's tuning it can knock the others off a little too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you tune your guitar, you'll notice that the bridge is being pulled upward. To fix this, you'll need to go to the springs in the back and tighten them. This will even out the increased tension from the low e string. Doing so, of course, will detune all of your strings, so you'll have to retune them. This will affect the bridge, causing the cycle to repeat until they even out. It's really a pain, so I hope you didn't buy the guitar expecting to change tunings or string sizes very often.
Quote by LochieW
Thats it, attackofnose wins LochieW's Official Trophy of Using His Googling Skills to the Max!

Hooray!
thanks man. do i have to change the way the springs are pointing in there as well?
right now theyre like this:

I\Io (the o is where theres no spring just two hooks)
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

This is why I leave the backplate on my 3 Ibanez RG570's off at all times. Essentially what you have posted is correct. Unlock the nuts and put the fine tuners about mid-height. Get the guitar essentially tuned correctly using the tuning pegs. Keep in mind that when you tighten the locking nuts down that it will cause all of your string to go sharp, so allow for this (i.e. when you tune the guitar while unlocked, tune it slightly flat).

Once everything is locked and "somewhat" in tune, then use you fine tune screws to make your adjustments. However, the part the guy was trying to tell you was to adjust the springs of the tremolo inside the guitar. You'll have to take off the back plate of the guitar to access them. Tremolos usually have 2 or 3 springs that hold the tension of the strings. There are two long screws the that can be tightened or loosened to adjust the string tension, thus changing their pitch. Since there are 2 screws, one screw will essentially adjust the tension of the bottom 3 strings on your guitar, and the other screw will adjust the tension of the upper 3 strings on your guitar. The nice part about this is that it adjusts the pitch of these 3 strings simultaneously.

Most of the time when I'm tuning one of my floyd rose tremolo guitars, it's just the top 3 strings that are slightly out of tune (E, A, D). Rather than trying to individually adjust the pitch of these 3 strings with the fine tuners I simply flip the guitar over and use a phillips screw driver to give maybe a quarter or less turn to one of the tension screws and that will usually bring all 3 strings into pitch. If one string is still out, then I'll use the fine tuners to get it into pitch.
Last edited by Whiskey Tango at Jan 20, 2009,
ok so im finished. let me start off by saying holy mother of **** that was a pain in the balls.

every time i balanced the bridge and locked the nut, i had to keep fine tuning them and every time i went back to 6th string it was exactly where it was before i had gone round the strings fine tuning them, only i had 1/2 a turn less to work with on the fine tuner. i kept maxing out the screws and having to go at the spring screws.
****ing painful that was. theres no point being able to lock your strings permanently into tune if you cant get them in fuxcking tune in the first place

thanks for the help though guys, i couldnt have done it without yez.
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

but now that youve done it you will understand how to do it again, FASTER! for any other floyd problems questions read up here
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

i know its an ibanez 'site but it apllies to all double locking trems.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Basically you tune the way you said. The way the floating system works is it has to be balanced between your spring tension and string tension this is how it "floats". This is How it should go.

-Tune up to E, if the bridge is sitting unlevel which it should be then you need to adjust the spring tension. Open up the back of the guitar there will be 2 screws in there these are the trem screws. Basically if the bridge is pulling up you need to tighten them if its sinking into the body you need to loosen them. Do this slowly though like maybe quarter to half turns at a time.

-Your strings will obviously be out of tune after leveling the trem so retune and repeat until both of these things happen, the bridge is level and all 6 strings are in tune.

It will take some time but it gets faster to do the more you do it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by munkymanmatt
ok so im finished. let me start off by saying holy mother of **** that was a pain in the balls.

every time i balanced the bridge and locked the nut, i had to keep fine tuning them and every time i went back to 6th string it was exactly where it was before i had gone round the strings fine tuning them, only i had 1/2 a turn less to work with on the fine tuner. i kept maxing out the screws and having to go at the spring screws.
****ing painful that was. theres no point being able to lock your strings permanently into tune if you cant get them in fuxcking tune in the first place

thanks for the help though guys, i couldnt have done it without yez.

i think the trick is to get it in tune as close as possible, then lock it. with any luck then it'll only require very slight tweaking of the fine tuners.

it gets easier the more often you do it, too, don't worry. you get more used to how much tuning one string will throw the others out, etc., and can compensate for that with the other strings' tunings etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think the trick is to get it in tune as close as possible, then lock it. with any luck then it'll only require very slight tweaking of the fine tuners.

it gets easier the more often you do it, too, don't worry. you get more used to how much tuning one string will throw the others out, etc., and can compensate for that with the other strings' tunings etc.

True I usually go about to the -10 point with my korg then bring it up the rest of the way with the fine tuners.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor