When i first got my guitar, it had .9 strings. they were great but at one point i decided to move up to .10s. They worked great until a broke my arm in a car accident, and now the heavyer gague just makes playing that much more difficult, so im moving back to 9s.

I recall that when i moved up to .10s, i needed to have bridge adjustments made. in particular it, the heavyer strings pulled the bridge up alot in the back (floating trem). Since i dont use the trem very much, i decided to just have it set flush to the body and be done with it. Now that i am moving back down to .9s, im wondering if i would need to have it set up again. My first thought is that since its set to the body either way, a lighter gague shouldnt make any difference because there would be even less tension, but i also know nothing about setting up guitars. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time

TL;DR
moving from .10s to .9s, do i need to have the bridge re-setup because of the change in tension?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i wasnt sure.
Last edited by specWB at Jan 20, 2009,
yeah youre probably gonna have to get the bridge adjusted for 9's and you may have to get the truss rod adjusted also.

also, what type of guitar are you using, and is the floating trem a floyd rose?
Quote by specWB
When i first got my guitar, it had .9 strings. they were great but at one point i decided to move up to .10s. They worked great until a broke my arm in a car accident, and now the heavyer gague just makes playing that much more difficult, so im moving back to 9s.

I recall that when i moved up to .10s, i needed to have bridge adjustments made. in particular it, the heavyer strings pulled the bridge up alot in the back (floating trem). Since i dont use the trem very much, i decided to just have it set flush to the body and be done with it. Now that i am moving back down to .9s, im wondering if i would need to have it set up again. My first thought is that since its set to the body either way, a lighter gague shouldnt make any difference because there would be even less tension, but i also know nothing about setting up guitars. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time

TL;DR
moving from .10s to .9s, do i need to have the bridge re-setup because of the change in tension?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i wasnt sure.

Yes, because it has a floating trem. Unless you use a method of blocking it, it will need to be set up again.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
The bridge should be fine. You might need a truss rod adjustment though, because the truss rod counters the tension of the strings, and right now it's countering the tension of the .10's. It will need to be loosened for the .9s. You can get away without adjusting it/having it adjusted, but you will never get the action as low as you want it without adjusting it.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
intonation should be fine, youll need to tighten the springs so the trem stays level, this takes time to do. if youve never done it before bring iy to a shop and ask if they can do it for you.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Thanks for the help so far. for the person who asked, its a 2008 Fender American Strat. The trem is technicaly floating, but i had it set flush to the body so that it wasnt really floating anymore. havnt gotten to having it blocked yet though. So at the moment its looking like a truss rod adjustment will be needed?
Hey I have a baritone guitar, which has a scale length of 26,25", and use 0.059-0.013 string gauge.

If I changed to a lighter gauge and tuned standard, would that work right (after a deep setup)?
Could I tighten the trust rod that much?
Would the tension be too high for bend and stuff?
Last edited by bazuriya at Jan 20, 2009,
Oh, one of those stupid American Stand trems? That won't be all too hard. You probably won't even have to adjust anything.

You may or may not need to adjust the truss rod. The only way to really tell is put the new strings on and check the relief.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
if its flush with the body you dont need to do anything. truss rod only needs to be adjusted if you go past .011 strings
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.