Ok so ive recently become intrested in recording and I am currently dl'ing cakewalk (bittorrent) and am using audacity and a little computer mic for recording. I have a jcm900 halfstack and have been told that the head sounds good when recording. But im not sure how to do it, im guessing the I would get a 1/4 jack to computer input converter or somthing but idk where to plug it into. Like to I go from the output that I usually use to plug into my cab or do I use the output on the back of my amp that says recording compensated, also there is one that says output direct? Anyways just curiose what you guys think I should do? Im just afraid that if I plug it into the wrong place my head will explode.
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by GNRjungle87
You mic the cabinet with a good mic (SM57 is pretty much the standard), put the mic into an interface such as this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CME-Matrix-K-FireWire-Audio-Matrix-Interface?sku=703040

and Firewire/USB that to your computer into a DAW such as Cakewalk.

yea that would be nice but i dont have $100 for a mic so i just want to go straight from my amp for now.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
yea that would be nice but i dont have $100 for a mic so i just want to go straight from my amp for now.

Does the JCM900 have a direct out/line out?
Here are short descriptions of three ways you can do it with the gear you have now:

1. Play through the amp normally, put the microphone near the cab, but since this mic is not meant for this it might start to distort more easily, even after you've correctly set the levels for it. Use Audacity to record what the mic pics up, Cakewalk is useless for you and you do not need it for anything.

2. Play though your amp normally (speaker and everything), but go from the amp's DI out into your computer's mic in. You might or might not get some latency doing this, and it might or might not sound better than the above.

3. Plug your guitar straight into your computer's mic in, use some sort of amp modeling application on the computer, and record that.

See the recording forum for more information.
Whoismilan:

Ok so there is a section of outputs on my amp one says recording desiganted and the other says direct so which one do I use to go to my computer? And should I unplug my amp from my cab while im doing this?
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by slorggetti
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102952

Plug into guitar and input or mic port on the back of your computer.

(PS: Plus infinity for Tom Waits quote)

yea thats deffinetly the best quote on earth, yea thats what i would use but where do I plug the 1/4 jack into on the back of my amp? the designated recording or the direct output?
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by GNRjungle87
Does the JCM900 have a direct out/line out?

yes but it also has somthing called designated recording
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
yes but it also has somthing called designated recording

Then my guess is that one is for recording. Check out that cable someone else posted with a link to the Radioshack website.
Quote by Brian8878682
Whoismilan:

Ok so there is a section of outputs on my amp one says recording desiganted and the other says direct so which one do I use to go to my computer? And should I unplug my amp from my cab while im doing this?

Either will work, but the recording out will most probably sound better for what you want.

You should never unplug your cab when playing, it will damage the amp.
Quote by whoismilan
Either will work, but the recording out will most probably sound better for what you want.

You should never unplug your cab when playing, it will damage the amp.

^^^This.

I have used the recording out from the 900 head. It works pretty good! Just go:

Recording comp. out > guitar cable > adapter from 1/4" to small audio > line in on your CPU.

We used garage band and it turned out great. Had to tweak the EQ in order to decrease fizzyness. We did 2 guitar tracks, one using rhythm pickup of a Les Paul, one using the treble pickup. When recording like this, less gain is better. If you use too much gain it gets really "processed" sounding.

If you don't keep your head plugged into speakers, you run the risk of blowing your output transformer.
'68 RI LP Custom
'90 JCM900 4100 + EQ & Boost
^^^^^
Yeah I got everything I needed and everything works, right now im using audacity but I have Sonar 8 producer cakewalk (I got it off bittorrent) but im having trouble figuring out how to get it to recognize my guitar.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by PsychomanZ
here we go again.................reported

lol for what?