hey

so iv been learning sweep picking some of you might have seen in my other thread,
but iv also learnt alternate picking and i can alternate pick very fast now, but iv been trying to get that zakk wylde sound that you can hear in farewell ballad.

iv been told that amazing sound comes from a wahwah pedal is that true?
thanks for the help
He slams his wah-wah down so that it boosts his Treble.
You're gonna need his speed, EMGs and really loud amps if you want exactly his sound.
TBH, all of his special sound comes from alternate picking, just practice that non-stop.
well iv got very fast speed at the alternate picking, i cant hit the notes perfectly though which im practicing, but i got the emgs, not cuz of him i just like the sound htey produce, although he is probably a huge reason for their popularity, but hmm i dont hav a wah wah, ill need that to get alternate picking sounding good like that then
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeah.
Just alternate pick.

sorry, what? lol im confused by that comment, like ditch sweeping or just ignore the wah wah?
aye thats true his wah pedal has it built in as a mod, hes got a less powerful version in his signature pedal i think. but seeing as zakk uses 11-70 and 10-60 strings hes got alot of strength in those hands too and contributes to his tone alot as using those sorta strings while playing in standard gives you an immense tone.....lets just hope this thread doesnt turn into a ZW bashing one

Good Luck Jimmy Hope it All Works out for you
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by JimmyBanks6
sorry, what? lol im confused by that comment, like ditch sweeping or just ignore the wah wah?

That's 'Doolooping', now. Didn't you get the memo?

Also, wahwah only changes your tone, it doesn't make the actual technique sound any different at all. If you can't properly do it now, then getting a wah-pedal certainly won't make you do it better.

If you can, look up some video's of Zakk playing. He actually holds his pick at quite an odd angle. If you really want to get his tone, try emulating that.
Quote by nav00
aye thats true his wah pedal has it built in as a mod, hes got a less powerful version in his signature pedal i think. but seeing as zakk uses 11-70 and 10-60 strings hes got alot of strength in those hands too and contributes to his tone alot as using those sorta strings while playing in standard gives you an immense tone.....lets just hope this thread doesnt turn into a ZW bashing one

Good Luck Jimmy Hope it All Works out for you

Zack Wylde is a decent player *extinguishes danger*

but as most people have said, it comes from his equipment and strings. you can probably get a similar sound by turning up the treble on your amp and playing thicker strings.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Zakk Wylde can sweep I think but he never uses it.
Slam the wah-wah down and alternate pick.
Heavy string gauge I guess too, .11 is what he uses.
hmm alright ill giv that a try,
but i aint givin up doolooping cuz im learning a7x stuff too, ill just keep learning both