Long story short (if you are busy) read the last paragraph. but if you want the full deal of what I am talking about read the whole story, it will only take a minute or 2.

I am looking for a 7 string. I play in 2 bandsK: one is progressive/technical/hardcore metal with other elements, and the other is basically a less hardcore metal band without screaming (basically avenged sevefold...only good, and we have a girl singer...wait no difference.)

anyway I first bought a Dean Razorback 7 string that Matt Heafy from Trivium used for a while. IT SUCKED. I have never really been impressed with Deans and now know never to buy one again. The paint was chipped all over the place withiin a week, the guitar was abnormally large, it was made of very cheap quality wood, it was off balance (basically if it was on a strap and i let go of the neck it would hit the floor), the frets were very scratchy, it had a Floyd Rose (which i now know never to try again, especially on a string) and on top of all that, it was 1400 dollars. When I first got it, I loved it of course, because it was a new guitar, and it was my first 7 string, you know its like getting a new car: nothing is ever wrong until the high wears off. Unfortunately for me that was after the 45 day return time.

So after finally selling it on Ebay I bought a new, much cheaper guitar, and I planned to get another guitar with the leftover money. I got a Schecter Omen 7 String for about 400 dollars after taxes. I have to say, it was a lot better than the Dean, but I was still unimpressed: the guitar was made of the same quality wood, there was no whammy system whatsoever, and it would not stay in tune for 5 frickin minutes. So I have that guitar now, but the return time has not expired so I will return it and get a new one. But, I need a new one fast. Both of my bands are getting together for practices almost every weekend and some weekdays, nothing too serious now but we want to be good by summertime. So i need a new 7 String that is good in quality, made by a solid brand, has some sort of whammy system (no floyd rose) and if possible, less than 1200 dollars.

what are some suggestions?

this is the guitar I am thinking about getting:
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S7320
i have the 6 string version of it and I would pick that guitar over a Les Paul.
Well, there is an entire thread for this stuff.

But I'd say, with 1200 dollars, you can look into a lot of stuff. Schecter's Loomis custom, also Ibanez, as you pointed out.

What's really limiting you though, is that you want a trem, but not a Floyd Rose... I read that this is caused by your horrible, horrible Dean, but don't let that fool you. Not everything is such low quality. A properly set-up FR WILL hold it's tune.
I cannot recomment the Ibanez RG1527 enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

This, but you are getting a floyd... your call
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
If by no floyd rose you mean the brand, not the style of whammy, I'd suggest an Ibanez 1527 + pup change, which will still be way under 1200 dollars.
EDIT: other people seem to dislike the 1527, i find it a pretty damn good guitar IMO.

although that Ibanez you posted seems super sweet as well!
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Neither can I.

TS, please try some decent FRs before you shut them all off. 7 strings with non-FR trems... hell, I don't even know of any.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1 to that my friend
gear:
squier fat strat
fender 15 watt amp
yamaha f310
ibanez DS7(distortion)
As you see, the general consensus seems to be to get of your trip and try a proper Floyd Rose. It will really open up your possibilities.

Also, it's funny how a thread about 7's is jumped on so massively...
Oh...didn't spot the "NO TREMS AT ALL" part.

But if that is the case you should be able to get a Schecter Loomis with no trem for significantly under your budget.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Loomis Signature Model, great guitar, I don't play any 7 string songs (I tried a few riffs on it though, what a beauty it was) but it felt and sounded great! You can get one with an OFR or a string thru body (Not sure if it's fixed or string thru, I'm pretty sure it's string thru, I haven't come across a fixed bridge Schecter yet but I'm in Australia so yeah).
Ibanez Xiphos XPT707?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Loomis Signature Model, great guitar, I don't play any 7 string songs (I tried a few riffs on it though, what a beauty it was) but it felt and sounded great! You can get one with an OFR or a string thru body (Not sure if it's fixed or string thru, I'm pretty sure it's string thru, I haven't come across a fixed bridge Schecter yet but I'm in Australia so yeah).

It's string-thru.

TS, if you want a thicker neck, get a schecter. Otherwise i think ibanez necks feel great, especially for 7 strings.
What about an Ibanez S7320?

It has a ZR tremolo system which I hear is a solid trem.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Agiles? Ibanezes? Try to find a used RR7R.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by ComradeIronMan
Ibanez Xiphos XPT707?

It's got neck thru and cool pickups. I might just order it tomorrow. No trem on it though so the TS might not want.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Trem: RG1527/RG7620

Non-Trem: RG7321FM/RG7621

+1 for the RG7321, soo much for an intro to 7 or if you've played them still worth it.
Last edited by 7StringScale at Jan 21, 2009,
I think your options are:

Solid trem systems: RG1527, RG7620, S7320, Schecter Loomis (Extended range)

Non trem systems: Schecter Loomis hardtail (ERG), Schecter C-7 range (Hellraiser perhaps/ERG), LTD SC607B (ERG), Ibanez Xiphos, used RG7621.

Those are the main production models that fall under what you need basically, most of the ibanez models leave money leftover for pickup changes/cases etc.
Holy ****, I didn't even look at the price until now. The thin neck super-large frets just made it seem cool, and slanted neck pickups just make it seem like it's great. The graphic is also nice. Not worth the price though, well for me anyway. I don't even know what I would do with 7 strings.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Holy ****, I didn't even look at the price until now. The thin neck super-large frets just made it seem cool, and slanted neck pickups just make it seem like it's great. The graphic is also nice. Not worth the price though, well for me anyway. I don't even know what I would do with 7 strings.

The price tag on that thing IS a bitch. Thing is, it's a signature model, and it will always be, because he helped design the body.

A shame, really.
Quote by Y00p
The price tag on that thing IS a bitch. Thing is, it's a signature model, and it will always be, because he helped design the body.

A shame, really.

Boner killer right there
My fellow legionaires have pretty much taken the words right out of my mouth right here.
But for future referance, the largest thread in this forum will help you out for these sort of situations, that's why it was created
I agree with hum though, what he listed is basically to the same degree, or more, of what I would've said
Last edited by bowen at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by bowen
My fellow legionaires have pretty much taken the words right out of my mouth right here.
But for future referance, the largest thread in this forum will help you out for these sort of situations, that's why it was created
I agree with hum though, what he listed is basically to the same degree, or more, of what I would've said

Great minds think alike!