I am not sure, but when I picked up a 2008 S7320 (made in indonesia), I notice it have more nicks. I recall that it was suppose to be made in Korea in the past?

In any case, when I hear the SA120, which used to be made in indonesia too, have move to China, i am wonderign if Ibanez is beginnign to go to the period of diminishing quality.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Hmm, I've heard bad things about Ibanez's newer models too... But I haven't tried any of the latest ones.

But it seems like generally, quality control (for any company/ies) is getting looser. As long as they can sell it, they don't care. I'm not talking about Ibanez, Just instruments in general. Hell, just items in general.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Jan 20, 2009,
Yeah, but it's happening to a lot of other companies too: ESP/LTD for example, has just moved production (401 series) to Indonesia.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Killedelphia19
idk bout the other ones, but their prestige series still feel, and play really nicely

+1
I actually think they have the best QC for the price range. Even better than stuff that costs twice as much
I've heard about the frets really sucking on Prestiges from last year, and seen a few pictures. Apparently, they don't even file them anymore. It's not really a big deal to go to a luthier and have him or her dress your frets for you, but I'd rather not do that when a guitar is over $500. That is, when the guitar's new. Obviously, I'd have them periodically redressed.
Their stupid price increases this year doesn't justify their quality control.
Quote by Paroxysm
Their stupid price increases this year doesn't justify their quality control.

I know. They jacked the prices up way too much. Of course, they're just trying to maximize profits; they figure that enough people will still buy them with the price increases to increase the amount of money they're making.
Quote by Jestersage
I am not sure, but when I picked up a 2008 S7320 (made in indonesia), I notice it have more nicks. I recall that it was suppose to be made in Korea in the past?

People like the ones on this forum (lost without hope) go to guitar stores everyday and play them... I think that explains the nicks. -_-

Second, just get Ibanez's prestiges you'll be fine.
Quote by nan0
People like the ones on this forum (lost without hope) go to guitar stores everyday and play them... I think that explains the nicks. -_-

They raised the prices of Prestiges by at least 100 bucks.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yen is stronger than our dollar, shipping cost is getting a little more expensive, hence why the price is jacked up. Ibanez also no longer has affiliation with Cort factory Korea, so now all guitars are produced in Fujigen Gakki Japan, Cort Indonesia, and several others from China.

Quality dropped even from japanese team-J models (mostly finishing touches and hardwares, yes the Edge Zero is made in China) and the laziness to change the Edge Pro route to the newer Edge zero route.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Oh one more thing, if you like the older models, get it now before 2nd or 12th (cant remember) February. New price is going effective then. Some shops are already taking advantage now.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by nan0

The nick is at neck pocket area. Second, is there a 7-string S-prestige? No.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
It's obviously just been damaged in shipping etc, a simple cosmetic flaw. My S7320 has held up phenominally, gig after gig. I recieved it in perfect condition, no flaws what so ever, even the fret-work was significantly better than most MIK Ibby's i play.
good my new s320 is an old 2007 model lol
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
good my new s320 is an old 2007 model lol

Same - My JS1200 is also a 2007 and is still perfect in every way. No lacquer cracks or anything.
I've thought modern, import Ibanez RG, were pieces of crap for several years now. Though I will say the one JS1200 I played at a GC when demo'ing an amp felt cheap beyond belief, and I was pretty let down by it. My former guitar teacher's Jem, which is probably 8-10 years old also had an odd thing where the middle single coil was some fakey looking piece of crap. Their semi-hollows on the other hand on very nice, despite the at times sloppy fit and finish, the actual guitar is very nice.

Now on the other hand, I think Jackson's import quality have gone up slightly, but some of the higher end MIJ's are way over priced, like the RR5FR. The biggest problem facing guitars now is I feel the cheaper ones are rushed, and the fit and finish, along with fretwork quality suffers for it. Another funny is my MIM Strat is far and away better built than my MIK Tele imo. Better fretwork, nice feeling, smoother neck, and everything fits together just a bit more tightly.
My S7320 was made in Korea, and my XPT707fx was made in Indonesia, and regardless, the quality I find in my Xiphos is great. No flaws on it, the fretwork is good (some frets get a bit of buzz on my S7320) but tbh, I think the whole "Area = Quality" thing is forever changing. As their may be a higher chance of getting a lower quality guitar from a place like Indonesia compared to MIJ, I find that all of the ones that I've owned or played that are MII and MIK are still very good quality, and that sort of problem isn't nearly as big of a problem as it used to be.
But I will agree that I have played my fair share of **** quality RG's and other's. I think that if it's a higher end guitar, but is MII or MIK, it will still be worth it's value. But of course, if it's a lower end model, the quality isn't going to be too great, thusforth the low price.
Last edited by bowen at Jan 21, 2009,
after reading this thread i looked at the back of my ibanez' headstock and i was pretty happy to read made in korea
I would say Ibanez's overall quality is pretty good, just about all of their guitars feel rather nice after a setup.

My biggest gripe with Ibanez and their current lineup is the number of higher end guitars with Edge III tremolos. Not to mention their pickups are better off being replaced. I might add, the Edge III is miles better than the LFR's that come on comparable jacksons, and at least all of the pickups on Ibanez aren't EMG or the same Duncans over and over again.

I believe Shecter is still winning the best bang for buck out of any superstrat/metal based guitar.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

I believe Shecter is still winning the best bang for buck out of any superstrat/metal based guitar.

I think the possible declining Ibanez quality may have sealed the deal for me. It's likely to be C-8 if I can afford it.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by MESAexplorer

I have to agree with this. The wood used and the quality of the guitar may not be as nice, but they're still pretty good for the price imo. There are some cheaper alternatives for the Hellraiser though: they're way overhyped on UG.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
I have to agree with this. The wood used and the quality of the guitar may not be as nice, but they're still pretty good for the price imo. There are some cheaper alternatives for the Hellraiser though: they're way overhyped on UG.

The thing that makes Shecter so respectable is that they're using official hardware on their guitars in the $500+ range. Most companies will charge at least $1000 to get an OFR and some real duncans or Dimarzios.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Jestersage

In any case, when I hear the SA120, which used to be made in indonesia too, have move to China, i am wonderign if Ibanez is beginnign to go to the period of diminishing quality.

Every company has it's ups and downs and makes questionable business decisions. A few I can think of in recent memory:

Takamine - Anything under $500 now is China, they aren't anywhere near the quality of the South Korean ones.
Ibanez - I had a South Korean AX7221 from 2003, the store I bought it from also had a "newer" version of the same thing from Indonesia made in 2004 for the same price...it was night and day, the South Korean one was terrible.
PRS - S.E.'s have to be the worst guitars available for the price point, almost every other company makes way better guitars for $500-$800
B.C. Rich - 2005's shift to China for all the entry levels now has made B.C. Rich's public non-custom line for the most part a laughing stock among casual guitarists. I count myself lucky to have a 2001 Beast from South Korea.

Where companies have improved:

Squier - All the vintage resissues, even their standard series now and the limited ones using duncan designed pickups..yes they are made in China, but we've only had to send back 2 out of probably 200 squiers in the past year and a half that have come through our doors, and one of them was damage caused in shipping. We've sent back more Guild acoustics with unfinished headstocks, bubbling lacquer, and twisted necks.

Epiphone - Made in China for the most part BUT! solid mahogany bodies, grover tuners on the standard series and up, alnico pickups w/wax sealing, and set necks instead of the old bolt ons. We can't keep the vintage cherry red SG's in stock, we order them 4 at a time now and they're gone within 2 weeks, and the amount of people who own gibsons who now try out the rough equivalent in epiphones (i.e. like an LP custom), are shocked that there isn't a whole mountain of difference anymore.

Schecter - expanding their line to 3 times what it was in 2006 is a phenomenal feat. Tonepro bridges, grover tuners, tusq graphite nuts even on the mid to low level stuff is incredible value, and almost all their basic models have coil taps build in and now have quilted or flamed maple tops. The 2009's look gorgeous if you haven't already checked them out you should.

Godin (and all things godin Seagull, Art and Lutherie, Simon and Patrick, La Patrie). Handmade in North America (either Canada or the states) for as low as $200 is simply the best deal around. Highly recommend them if you get a chance, much respect for Robert Godin keeping the quality of his guitars up by letting them be built by schooled luthiers here in Canada.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Demon_dave

Ibanez - I had a South Korean AX7221 from 2003, the store I bought it from also had a "newer" version of the same thing from Indonesia made in 2004 for the same price...it was night and day, the South Korean one was terrible.

So Korea is actually worse?! Guess 2008/2009 S7320 is actually better (especially for those wanting the white s7320.)

P.S. Can someone point me to the spec page of their C-8? Can't find it on their website.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by MESAexplorer
The thing that makes Shecter so respectable is that they're using official hardware on their guitars in the $500+ range. Most companies will charge at least $1000 to get an OFR and some real duncans or Dimarzios.

I've heard that their OFR isn't made in Germany, but aside from that, I agree.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Jestersage
So Korea is actually worse?! Guess 2008/2009 S7320 is actually better (especially for those wanting the white s7320.)

P.S. Can someone point me to the spec page of their C-8? Can't find it on their website.

no the korean one's are better than the indonesian ones

South Korean and Japanese cultures both take a lot of pride in handmade items in general, even if it's done in a factory setting, they double and triple check their work more than china and indonesia do
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
Quote by aznrockerdude
I've heard that their OFR isn't made in Germany, but aside from that, I agree.

If I'm not mistaken, both LFR's and OFR's are made in 2 factories. Both are pretty close to one another, it's just the materials used that differ.

About the Shecter C-8, run a UG search, it should bring up something from the 7 string legion, there was a pretty big discussion on it a few days ago.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
As far as i'm aware the Schecter C-8 was merely a limited edition run, with only like 100 or so being produced, some figures say as low as 50, either way there isnt going to be many.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
As far as i'm aware the Schecter C-8 was merely a limited edition run, with only like 100 or so being produced, some figures say as low as 50, either way there isnt going to be many.

drumcity guitarland has one up, only $900 U.S. pretty cheap for a run that limited. I'd want one just to learn some of the stuff from Meshuggah's Obzen album
Gear:
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear: