How precisely does it work? I'm aware that it interconverts between an AC and a DC signal, but what applications does that have in amplifier technology? What are the benefits of a rectified amplifier?

Thanks.
Not sure of your question here, the application in an amp is just what you stated, it converts the AC from your wall to the DC that powers the amp. The benefit of having a rectifier in an amp is that one without a rectifier doesn't work.

You might be a little confused when people say "rectifier," sometimes they're talking about a line of Mesa/Boogie amps that have the designations of "single rectifier" or "dual rectifier" (probably referring to multiple rectification modes), but a rectifier in itself is a component that is in every amp.

But if you're question is about different types of rectification, then that opens up some discussion, whether tube rectifiers or solid state rectifiers are preferred etc. They both have their pros and cons (well, not really pros and cons, more preference based really...). I've run both tube and solid state rectifiers in my amp, the SS rectifier is more efficient, your amp will run at a higher B+ and you will get more headroom, your sound is cleaner, tighter, brighter, and more aggressive, with a tube rectifier, you get a much looser, and more touch sensitive feel, it is less efficient, you get less headroom, and as you turn the amp up, you will get a noticeable sag in your low notes and bloom in your high notes.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 20, 2009,
Thanks, that clears that up a little. I was trying to figure out whether rectification was some kind of special technology M/B uses...guess not