Ok my band has been through about 7 change ups so I should probably already know the answer to this, but I'm not sure if we're doing it right.

When you're about to invite a new member to practice with your band what do you do/tell him a few days in advance of the practice?

edit: you guys have already met and you 2 know the general things about each other.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
7 change ups? wow.........

anyways... just say "hey, practice is at my house saturday around 3."
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Well, what I'd do is say, "hey, I'm in a band, and we know you play (whatever) so we wanted to know if you'd like to come in and jam or something. We sound like (whatever), and we're (writing, gigging, smoking drugses) all the time. If you're interested we practice (whenever), and we'll (show you what to play, let you do your own stuff)".

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
We always made our ads very descriptive about who were are and what we want, etc. as a means of weeding out the people we can't be bothered talking to anyways.

After the initial weeding out, the next step is to sit down with them over coffee or whatever and talk about goals, expectations, stuff in general that needs to be sorted out in the beginning for the whole thing to work. You'll get a sense if he is the right guy or a jerk or whatever.

After that weeding out process, you should give him a list of songs you do (or a CD if you're doing original stuff) and have him pick three to learn. Or, what we did, is we strategically picked the first two (one to see if he was doing his homework and memorizing arrangements... without study, that song would easily lead to a train wreck), and another to see how he approaches texture and dynamics. We let him pick the third song.

Have him out for about 20 minutes. Even if you only have one person, tell him that someone else is coming for the next time slot. If he's good, you'll get through all three songs once or twice, and have a sense that he might be the right guy. If he sucks ass, then you only have to endure him for 20 minutes before sending him home.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
We always tell em what time and where, if they can't jam along by ear it's their problem and they ain't good enough. If I'm in a good mood I'll tell em what key I'm playing in.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
As a guitar player with over 20 years experience playing in bands, I wouldn't even show up to something like that. I would interpret that as unprofessional and showing a lack of seriousness, preparation, etc.

When I rehearse, I want people to be prepared. If I'm auditioning for a band, I expect them to be prepared, and I expect myself to be prepared.

Either that, I would interpret it as "we don't have any songs prepared, so we can't really ask you to learn any" in which case, I'm really not interested there either.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
As a guitar player with over 20 years experience playing in bands, I wouldn't even show up to something like that. I would interpret that as unprofessional and showing a lack of seriousness, preparation, etc.

When I rehearse, I want people to be prepared. If I'm auditioning for a band, I expect them to be prepared, and I expect myself to be prepared.

Either that, I would interpret it as "we don't have any songs prepared, so we can't really ask you to learn any" in which case, I'm really not interested there either.

CT

Really? It was this way for me at every band I've ever played in. Some sent songs but in the end I've never used them, and just played what the other guitarist played by ear wich worked perfectly fine.
I've never worried about not being able to play something a band would play and it has never been necessary. The way you see it is something I can understand, but for me it's more like a test. For a bassist I will not write whatever he/she has to play, that's not my job. If he or she can't play along the moment you hear something you'll realise yourself(and if not we'll say so) that that person is just not skilled enough.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Difference is, I've been playing in bands since before you were born.

CT

Make sure you antique him when he walks in the door for the first practice.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

= Oh hAI STFU AND SUBMIT TO MY SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE, YOU ARE WORThLESS! YOU hEAR ME BOY? WORThLESS I TELL YA WORThLESS! BACK IN MY DAY WE PLAYED ShAKE RATTLE N ROLL ALL DAY LONG AND ShANKED ON BLUES PENTATONICS TILL IT WAS TIME FOR DINNER. YOUR APPROACh TO A BAND IS WORThLESS YOU hEAR? WORThLESS WIThOUT MY APPROVAL AND ENDORSEMENT. WORThLESS! YA hEAR!?
Pacman of the UG Hero's and Villians club
Last edited by Lex Davids at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by axemanchris

CT

wrong, I'm afraid.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
wrong, I'm afraid.

Your profile says you were born in '87. I've been playing in bands since '85/'86.

That would be before you were born, no?

@lexdavids - I'm not saying my viewpoint is the only right one. I'm just saying that, as someone who has a ton of experience playing in bands, that would put me off. It's just a difference of perspective, that's all.

I was 17 when Appetite for Destruction came out. There's a perspective for ya.

What's right for me isn't necessarily what's right for you. However, if what is right for you is not what is right for me, then we probably wouldn't wind up being in the same band anyways. Funny how it all works out like that, eh?

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 25, 2009,