Page 1 of 2
I don't care if there's already a thread. If there is, no one's used it in a long time anyway.

So anyway, Savatage. Amazing band, criminally underrated. I really wish Jon Oliva would get off his fat ass and get the guys together to record a new album, do a tour, whatever. Even if it's just a one-off thing before they officially call it quits (they never officially broke up, right?), I'd be happy.

Anyway, discuss. I'm listening to Chance right now, genius song.
Awesome band...or they were. Poets and madmen, Handful of rain and edge of thorns get a major 'meh' from me. The Wake of Magellan had a few goodies, but overall not great.

On the other hand, Hall of the mountain King and Dungeons are calling are 2 of my favourite albums. Gutter Ballet, Streets, Sirens, and Power of the Night are Great too.
I agree, very under-rated. I still listen to Gutter Ballet, Hall of the Mountain King, 24 hours ago and Jesus Saves. Love all these as they are my favorites. Like you really wish they would put out at least on more.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Awesome band...or they were. Poets and madmen, Handful of rain and edge of thorns get a major 'meh' from me. The Wake of Magellan had a few goodies, but overall not great.

On the other hand, Hall of the mountain King and Dungeons are calling are 2 of my favourite albums. Gutter Ballet, Streets, Sirens, and Power of the Night are Great too.

So I guess you're just not a fan of the Zak era overall? As blasphemous as it sounds, I prefer Zak's albums to Jon's. My favorite is Edge Of Thorns, though, because Zak + Criss = musical sex.
Yeah, pretty much, but it's not because he's a bad singer or anything, i think he's awesome...i just think the songwriting took a direction i didn't like so much, what with Jon kinda taking a back seat and all...

Oh and i defenitely prefer Jons singing.
Jon is a monstrous singer, there's no denying that. As much as I like Zak I would definitely appreciate hearing studio versions of Zak-era songs sung by Jon.
HOTMK = epic Jon Oliva vocals.

"MAAAAADNESS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIGNSSSSSSSSS.... haha, my friends.... IN THE HALL OF THE MOTHERFUCKING MOUTAIN KING!"

Well maybe not the "motherfucking" part, but you get the idea.
Quote by Butt Rayge

I thought I was the only one with that opinion. :ihartu:
Quote by HamburgerBoy
I thought I was the only one with that opinion. :ihartu:

We should make babies.
Edge Of Thorns has some killer songs, such as the title track, Handful Of Rain has it's highlights, but it's not as good

but still Hall Of The Mountain King is their best, Gutter Ballet is a close second for me

Criss Oliva is one of my favourite metal guitarists ever
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

A never ending suicide
OF NIGHTMARES YOU HAVE INSIIIIIIDE!!!

AH!

OOOOHOOOOHAHHHOHHHHH, beyond the doors of the dark yeah
Beyond the doors of the dark,
AH!
Oh yeah

I love his super awesome, high pitched, rhythmic 'AH!'s'
HOW IS THIS THREAD NOT WORSHIPPED DAILY?

bamp
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
BECAUSE PEOPLE HERE THINK HAMMERFALL IS GOOD POWER METAL

Sirens is my favorite, but these guys have put out a few impressive records.
City Beneath the Surface is my favorite song off of the EP.

The riffs on every song are so... memorable.
Sorry for the bump (someone actually used the searchbar!)

But I propose that a group be made in Savatage's honor.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Criss was pretty good at creating memorable riffs.

Thisthisthis. Though I'll go out on a limb and say Chris Caffery and good ol' Skolnick did a great job filling his shoes.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by The Frayed Ends
Thisthisthis. Though I'll go out on a limb and say Chris Caffery and good ol' Skolnick did a great job filling his shoes.

This is true. Usually when a band loses a member like Criss the fat lady is warmin up...
I have to say the fat lady had well and truly sung after 'The Wake Of Magellan' and i think she may have even sung on it...
Quote by Butt Rayge
I have to say the fat lady had well and truly sung after 'The Wake Of Magellan' and i think she may have even sung on it...

To be fair, Jon only sang two songs on that album.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
You can't be the same guy who was posting at the start of this thread...

In the 80's and 90's these guys were ****ing amazing. They are so incredibly under-appreciated.
My favorite 'Tage song at the moment is Chance. The ending is just too god damned epic.
Quote by guitgrinder
Last edited by The Frayed Ends at Jan 18, 2010,
My favorite Savatage tracks at the moment are 24 Hrs. Ago, Beyond the Doors of the Dark and Hall of the Mountain King...although I only own HotMK which is excellent and Handful of Rain which is pretty meh. The song 'Taunting Cobras' makes me emit roflcopters.

Which other Savatage albums are worth picking up? I plan on looking into Sirens and Edge of Thorns next, although I much prefer Oliva'a vocals to Steven's.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Edge Of Thorns is absolutely brilliant. Zak's voice is a bit of an acquired taste I'd say, but I actually prefer his to Oliva's honestly.

But anyway, listen to the title track from EOT if you haven't already, it's just so good.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yes, you really should.

Quote by The Frayed Ends
My favorite 'Tage song at the moment is Chance. The ending is just too god damned epic.

Mine are 'Tonight He Grins Again,' 'Agony and Ecstacy,' and 'Strange Reality,' because they're basicaly the songs that have made me love playing guitar again. I figured them all out by ear yesterday.
Quote by Penisaur
My favorite Savatage tracks at the moment are 24 Hrs. Ago, Beyond the Doors of the Dark and Hall of the Mountain King...although I only own HotMK which is excellent and Handful of Rain which is pretty meh. The song 'Taunting Cobras' makes me emit roflcopters.

Which other Savatage albums are worth picking up? I plan on looking into Sirens and Edge of Thorns next, although I much prefer Oliva'a vocals to Steven's.

Taunting Cobras is ****ing awesome.the rest of the album is pretty average, but I love that song.

Personally, I think you should go with Streets or Gutter Ballet. They're fantastic and a bit different from Hall of the Mountain King, so go with them if you want a bit of variety.

If you want something very similar to Hall of the Mountain King, you can't go wrong with Sirens or The Dungeons are Calling.
^ Will do.

Cmon, the chorus to Taunting Cobras is hilarious
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Page 1 of 2