What's the point of Alternate picking when you can just use Economy picking?

Would it not just be more efficient to use economy picking?
just to set up a good foundation for learning to pick properly in different situations i'd say, beginners should alternate pick so they can learn how to play better and then move on to economy picking when they understand more on how to play.
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Alternate picking is part of economy picking really. Economy picking is the final product of having a variety of picking styles and using them in the most economical (geddit?) way.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
I used strict economy for over 2 years...

And now i mainly use strict alternate

There are advantages, perhaps not so much in lead but very much so in rythm. It allows you to accent notes in the right places more easily for one.
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
they're both good in their own respects.
if you're playing something that ascends or descends the strings, economy picking would be good.
however, if you're alternating between two strings, you'd want to use alternate picking.
plus, you can always use a combination of the two.

they're both useful tools. you can't really throw out one as useless because of the other.
Alternating picking makes you a much tighter player I reckon.

Economy picking can just make you sloppy in some cases as your not on your feet like you are with Alternate picking
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Quote by Ze_Metal
They are both different. Learn and practice them. Sometimes you will be forced to Alternate pick.

Exactly. For me it varies. Some things are just easier to play in alternate picking, and some things are easier in economy picking. Since you're obviously trying to make your playing as smooth and as easy (for yourself) as possible, then it just depends on what you're playing and how it's made easier.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Besides, its not easy to economy pick any even note runs, like 2, 4, 6, 8 or notes per string.

I do both, I economy pick all odd number runs, and alt all even runs.

this is ths best way to play, i think.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Why economy picking isn't so economic (taken from the Advanced Techniques forum):
Quote by edg
In alternate picking each subsystem is relatively uncoupled. Regardless of what the
left hand is doing, the right hand is just doing DUDUDUDU
.... But, there is still a synching
requirement between the 2 systems.

In economy picking, there is still the same synching requirement. But, in this case
there is now a MUCH higher degree of coupling. In physical systems terms you'd say
constraints have been added to the system and degrees of freedom of been reduced.
The right hand must now "know" when the left hand is going to change strings AND
it must factor that with the state of whether or not it has just completed an U or D
stroke
. When a total system gets MORE complex by adding constraints and decreasing
it's degrees of freedom, it requires MORE energy to operate it. In this case its mostly
a lot more mental energy.

So, overall I'd say, if you've found economy picking to be more "natural", you're going
against nature. Probably it's because, considering only physical efficiency and the
ever-present obsession with speed, you practiced the types of things that lend themselves
more easily to economy picking over and over in order to reduce the mental energy
needed at playing time. What you'll find is that as the left hand complexity goes up,
economy picking requires A LOT more total energy to keep the system operating, whereas
alternate picking tends to be an even amount of energy over all kinds of left hand
complexity (because it's far less coupled).
Last edited by leephan at Jan 22, 2009,
Alternate picking has a more aggressive tone whereas economy picking has a softer feeling almost like hammers/pulls.
Economy picking is generally thought of as sounding uneven. This is because it isn't practiced correctly by the player using it. It CAN sound just as even as alternate picking. Ex. Yngwie Malmsteen or Shawn Lane.

However, enonomy picking isn't possible to be used all the time. This is why I support alternate picking more. It is possible to have extremely fast alternate picking. Ex. MAB, Gilbert, and most other shredders. The majority of shredders that I know of, use alternate picking. I do, but I'm not fast at all.

It's really up to you whether you play eco. or alternate. This is an argument that has been going on since eco./alt. picking was first learned by shredders. It has been around forever and will always be there. However, if you choose eco. please get a half decent alternate picking ability and make sure you practice it smoothly and evenly.
They sound different I would think like downpicking master of puppets sounds better than alternate picking it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
ok .... so when playing the intro to Nirvana's song Heart-Shaped Box i have realised that i play that using economy picking. Would it be better technique to play it using alternate picking?
well what i first learned was alt picking and i kept practicing at that and after a while i sorta started unconsciously economy picking. i didnt even know it was a technique at the time until i read it then i said "oh, so theres a name for it" well i guess my point is, do what you feel is right/more comfortable
I have played guitar for over four years now and really don't grasp the idea of this. I suck at sweep picking anyways, but minimizing the movement of your right hand (Just wikki'd this) seems just common sense to me. Then again I haven't even played more than 20 minutes with another guitar player before while I was playing. Just saying, I am all self taught and have no outside input on anything technical and barely know the terminology for guitar playing. Totally technical-illiterate. Does that make sense? XD
Unless you're going to be playing one-note-per-string licks all the time, half the time you'll have to use alt. picking.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Besides, its not easy to economy pick any even note runs, like 2, 4, 6, 8 or notes per string.

I do both, I economy pick all odd number runs, and alt all even runs.

That still is economy picking though. It just happens to be one of those times where the two overlap.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Tkm
What's the point of Alternate picking when you can just use Economy picking?

Would it not just be more efficient to use economy picking?

Because you're just looking at playing the guitar from a fixed perspective of "efficiency" with blinders on and your eyes half closed, you don't understand.

They are simply 2 different things. One works better in some cases than the other, sometimes it's just a matter of mood or what you feel like, sometimes a sound you're
looking for.
Quote by Psychomyth
I have played guitar for over four years now and really don't grasp the idea of this. I suck at sweep picking anyways, but minimizing the movement of your right hand (Just wikki'd this) seems just common sense to me. Then again I haven't even played more than 20 minutes with another guitar player before while I was playing. Just saying, I am all self taught and have no outside input on anything technical and barely know the terminology for guitar playing. Totally technical-illiterate. Does that make sense? XD

Yes it does make sense BUT you have to understand: physical effort is only half of the equation, with economy picking you have to expend considerable effort THINKING about what you're doing and which pick stroke comes next.

Not only that but economy picking and alternate picking do have slightly different tones, alternate picking sounds more machine gun and staccato where economy has a smoother tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I study with Andre Tonelli in Barcelona and he is veeery specific when it comes to alternate picking.
He says if you can't control something as apparently simple as alternate picking, your other techniques will almost inevitably be inefficient and not "pure". At least that's how I would explain it. It is true that it gives you a sense of control that you won't get by just casually playing.
I've seen him play live and he is absolutely free of any preconceived technique when it comes to expressing music. But he's dead on with all the techniques I have seen him play when he teaches.
He posts short lessons on youtube. Wait...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8p183CW-eE