this is my first build, and i'll be needing some help here and there.

planning so far:

maple mighty mite strat neck.
walnut body in shape of a jazz bass.
REVISED LIST COMING SOON.

could i follow the wiring of a p bass? i'm planning on this being stupid-simple and rear-routed to minimize drilling and allow me to ***** out the beautiful wood grain.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Last edited by forstringwonder at Jan 20, 2009,
a few things to note here :

dont bother with wilkinson ex-lok tuners, they are worthless crap

GFS rails pickups are mostly worthless crap, very muddy, no character

if you want a jazz tone, dont bother with maple or walnut

dont use ceramic capacitors, use oil/paper capacitors or orange drops.

order everything through allparts.com and send me the invoice and ill knock 35% off your total, allparts is all japan made from high quality materials.

i made a tele out of all GFS stuff, the chrome finish was really awful on all of the hardware, it is all soft-metal and the bridge showed string groves in the finish after i took the first set of strings off. the pickups were LITERALLY falling apart, the base fell off the bridge pickup and the metal cover of the tele neck pickup was very loose.
Last edited by LP Addict at Jan 20, 2009,
even with your %35 allparts looks too expensive for my current situation. can anyone either vouch for guitarfetish or fill me in on an alternative?

jazz was referring to the body shape, not the tone.
oh okay then, walnut has a very strong attack, and its a very expensive wood, and difficult to find in pieces big enough for a guitar build, its usualyl full of cracks and holes and stuff. and im not sure what parts you are looking at at allparts, but 35% off should cut you realll close to gfs costs. i know you can score a gotoh string thru bridge for about 25 bucks, and a set of gotoh tuners for about 30. GFS stuff is about the quality of what you find on mexican fenders and epiphone guitars, just cheap mass-produced soft steel chinese stuff.
i wanted a tele bridge just so i would be able to keep the routing clean and to a minimum.
ok thanks for your help, i'll pm you with whatever i decide to order.

anyone else have an opinion on this?
I'll agree with LP Addict on things from guitarfetish being really crappy.

Also, tele bridge or regular hardtail doesn't require routing, and they both need about the same amount of hole drilled.... so, no need for a tele bridge unless you prefer the look or feel.

Pics of the walnut?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
I'll agree with LP Addict on things from guitarfetish being really crappy.

Also, tele bridge or regular hardtail doesn't require routing, and they both need about the same amount of hole drilled.... so, no need for a tele bridge unless you prefer the look or feel.

Pics of the walnut?

+1 to pics of the walnut

and from my experiences, tele bridges are extremely uncomfortable.

check out this tele i made :

still needs work, was planed from 5 inches to 2 a bit ago. and i just realized that about the bridge.. i'm redrafting my list of parts.

EDIT: excuse the ghetto picture. my camera is crap.
You know your fingers are in front of the lens, right?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
you know thats the lens cap that doesn't quite open anymore, right?

EDIT:
Quote by LP Addict
that walnut looks great man, that s gonna make a nice guitar.
yeah i am looking forward to starting on this, have been planning it for a while and life has been getting in the way.
Quote by forstringwonder
even with your %35 allparts looks too expensive for my current situation. can anyone either vouch for guitarfetish or fill me in on an alternative?

jazz was referring to the body shape, not the tone.
dragonfireguitars.com has good deals
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by necroscience13
dragonfireguitars.com has good deals

their stuff is on the same level as GFS. all from the same factory, notice alot of their hardware is the same stuff just with different names.
Quote by LP Addict
their stuff is on the same level as GFS. all from the same factory, notice alot of their hardware is the same stuff just with different names.
yeah but i like them because some of there parts are the cheapest around, like pickup rings and knobs. good stuff
the only problem ive ever had with knobs being cheap is sometiems they are made out of cheap materials, alot of times they dont sit FLAT on top of the pot so it wobbles when you spin it, and the set screw will strip out so fast its not even funny. pickup rings you cant really complain about, except for the gold/black finish wearing off rather quickly.