So it seems lately that I've realised my current distortion on my Pod X3 Live is less than adequate. It sounds fine at low volumes but when it's turned up or I do some rough demo recording onto my laptop it sounds so.. well, crap. It's fuzzy and fizzy and not that nice at all.

I have a nice high gain tone that I'm pretty happy with. However most of the time I'm using a lower end distortion, so I want something that's nice and crunchy but tight without being too fuzzy. Something that will suit bands like Funeral For A Friend etc. Can anyone reccommend anything, or even send me their own tones?

No multi-fx bashers please

-Guy
http://www.facebook.com/someofusneverdie

Check us out, we'd really appreciate any feedback or support.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Boss TU-2, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy
Dude. You've got the problem I had, most likely. I just outgrew the sound of the pod.

I see you have a rocker 30, can you not get the tones you need out of that? Because in my opinion, a good amp, or even the better of my two OD pedals, kicks the pod in the crotch. And from what I know, that's a hell of an amp.

BUT when I found my pods tones too harsh, I'd sometimes add a touch of chorus, and it smoothed them out a bit. Just to give you that line of advice too.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Last edited by echo_4190 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by echo_4190
Dude. You've got the problem I had, most likely. I just outgrew the sound of the pod.

I see you have a rocker 30, can you not get the tones you need out of that? Because in my opinion, a good amp, or even the better of my two OD pedals, kicks the pod in the crotch. And from what I know, that's a hell of an amp.

BUT when I found my pods tones too harsh, I'd sometimes add a touch of chorus, and it smoothed them out a bit. Just to give you that line of advice too.

Thanks dude, it always makes me feel better when people have the same problems as me

The Rocker 30 IS awesome, but there's a couple of reasons I still need the Pod. One being that I don't have an amp footswitch anyways, two being that I still want the Pod for other effects, and three being that I tried running the amp's distortion through an empty Pod bank and it didn't work (any help on that last one??)

Thanks for the advice though Maybe I'm just growing out of the Pod

-Guy

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Mess with the Air setting, I just got a 2.0 yesterday and was not impressed at all until I turned on the Air feature, which on your model is much more advanced than mine. Really although I have only had for a day I must say that I am very impressed with the higher gain tones, the lower gain models on the 2.0 lowend is really loose, but that's how most of those amps were when pushed overly hard. I think you need to just mess with it some more I think I could fool most people with mine. Now I am not using it live, Studio use only, and that may be where your problem lies.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
first of all, make sure its set correctly to what your using it with (amp, studio direct, etc...). like everybody else said, mess around with A.I.R., and btw what settings are you using?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Guy101
Thanks dude, it always makes me feel better when people have the same problems as me

The Rocker 30 IS awesome, but there's a couple of reasons I still need the Pod. One being that I don't have an amp footswitch anyways, two being that I still want the Pod for other effects, and three being that I tried running the amp's distortion through an empty Pod bank and it didn't work (any help on that last one??)

Thanks for the advice though Maybe I'm just growing out of the Pod

-Guy

I can't run the amp through the "amp" spot on my pedal cause it doesn't have effects send and return, thats new with the X3, but search 4 Cable Method in here or in google and you should find how to do it. I hear that works pretty well. But, then again, I think you need an effects loop on your amp, and I don't know if you have one or not on that thing.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Thanks for all the comments guys. Although it's time for me to look like a n00b now, what's the AIR feature? I hadn't heard about that, just did a quick google search and its something about microphone placement, how does that help me?

Also how do I configure it to what I'm using?

Thanks alot,

-Guy

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
You did get a manual with your X3 right? It stands for acoustically integrated recording. Without just typeing the manual here it deals with cab, speaker, mic etc interaction.

To kinda address your original complaint about distortion. It could be you just don't like the particular distortions modeled. I had a ts808 for a while and actually like the POD version better, but still wasn't crazy about it. I have since got a distortion pedal i really like and just plug it straight into the POD. Turned off the POD distortion and like the whole unit alot better. As cool as these POD's are doesn't mean your gonna like everything in them.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD