Page 5 of 7
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
it has a power cord but no speaker cable if you buy the head.

Okay thanks, i'm buying the stack btw. Okay so i'll just get a nice speaker cable then call it a day.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I really wanna hear some clips of that hot head. I'm seriously debating getting one. Either that or a handsome devil combo to keep in my room.

But seriously if the hothead is like the rest of their amps that thing should be effing awesome.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
I am glad to say I can finally join the ranks of Blackheart users!
Fender Mexican Strat W/ Custom HSS Pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony
Blackheart BH5H
Epiphone 1x12 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Crybaby Original Wah
EHX Big Muff
A/B Selector Pedal
Quote by PadawanGeek
I am glad to say I can finally join the ranks of Blackheart users!

hope you like it
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Does anyone have any tips on getting good Metallica tones from a Little Giant? I have a Les Paul.
Fender Mexican Strat W/ Custom HSS Pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony
Blackheart BH5H
Epiphone 1x12 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Crybaby Original Wah
EHX Big Muff
A/B Selector Pedal
^use a distortion or a gainy OD

and put the Mids on 0-3, treble on 8 and bass on 6-max
feel free to add me
I haven't heard much about the BitMo mod, but there is a Handsome Devil head for sale on ebay that has the mod and upgraded tubes. If I buy it, what should i expect from the mod?
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
thx i tried my best to keep this thread well informed.

Best overall information about those great amps!

Keep on your good work!

Peter
Last edited by paruwi at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by Dragonis
I really wanna hear some clips of that hot head. I'm seriously debating getting one. Either that or a handsome devil combo to keep in my room.

But seriously if the hothead is like the rest of their amps that thing should be effing awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htnh5E2PDyo

Look no further, although it's in German...

Also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb1a4ekuA1w&feature=related
I just sold my Little Giant today and am waiting for my brand spanking new Handsome Devil to arrive. I can't wait.

I started playing in a group and need something more than the Little Giant could deliver. I am hoping the Handsome Devil can cut over teh drummer for small venues such as picnics, get-togethers, etc.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by Rio38
I just sold my Little Giant today and am waiting for my brand spanking new Handsome Devil to arrive. I can't wait.

I started playing in a group and need something more than the Little Giant could deliver. I am hoping the Handsome Devil can cut over teh drummer for small venues such as picnics, get-togethers, etc.

it would if you crank it and it depends how loud your drummer plays
feel free to add me
Man, I just saw the HotHead and think I wet myself. I need one of those.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by Rio38
Man, I just saw the HotHead and think I wet myself. I need one of those.

Great tone
Loud as Fuck

feel free to add me
My Handsome Devil arrived Saturday morning via UPS and I have to say that I love it so far. One question though, since my Little Giant didn't have a "Drive" knob. I want to get a nice clean sound out of it. I need to essentially play the part of an acoustic guitar using an electric through the amp, so I don't want any drive or gain.

As I turn the Drive down, the volume decreases and if the Drive is at 0, there is no volume. How would I get a true clean sound out of this at a good volume level?

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by Rio38
My Handsome Devil arrived Saturday morning via UPS and I have to say that I love it so far. One question though, since my Little Giant didn't have a "Drive" knob. I want to get a nice clean sound out of it. I need to essentially play the part of an acoustic guitar using an electric through the amp, so I don't want any drive or gain.

As I turn the Drive down, the volume decreases and if the Drive is at 0, there is no volume. How would I get a true clean sound out of this at a good volume level?

Thanks.

for the little giant?

vol = 2-3 that is where i get cleans
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
for the little giant?

vol = 2-3 that is where i get cleans

No, for the Handsome Devil. I also still need to cut over a drummer. This would be for songs such as Free Fallin' by Tom Petty or Runaround by Blues Traveler.

I know it would be better to use an acoustic mic'd, but that is not possible.

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Last edited by Rio38 at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Rio38
No, for the Handsome Devil. I also still need to cut over a drummer. This would be for songs such as Free Fallin' by Tom Petty or Runaround by Blues Traveler.

Thanks.

i dunno.

try putting the gain on 1 and put the volume on 5
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i dunno.

try putting the gain on 1 and put the volume on 5

Is it normal for the master volume to diminish and even go completely away with teh drive control?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I'm sorely tempted to get one.

Just a few questions, really How, on a grand scale, do they sound? They're all tube, yeah? And how do they take to distortion (as in pedals)? Oh yeah, and if anyone works in a guitar shop and can tell me how much they run for I'd be more than happy.

Edit: And how necessary is one of the stack/cabinet dealys? Do some of them not have their own speakers? My first amp was a Roland Microcube 5 watt and it could go hella loud itself, never mind what it could do mic'd up.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by TheBurningFish

Just a few questions, really How, on a grand scale, do they sound? They're all tube, yeah? And how do they take to distortion (as in pedals)? Oh yeah, and if anyone works in a guitar shop and can tell me how much they run for I'd be more than happy.

the prices are in the front page i believe.
and they sound good for the price.

you wont expect good cleans from them but you can expect a great british crunch out of it.
feel free to add me
Quote by TheBurningFish

Which Blackheart are you referring to? I have owned both a Little Giant and a Handsome Devil.

They are all tube.

How they sound is dependent on what type of sound you are looking for. They have a great classic rock and even modern rock sound when you drive the tubes. Add pedals and you will be able to get whatever sound you are looking for. I have both single pedals and a multi-FX unit and the amps take to them very well.

Pricewise, you can't beat them. They are built to last and you can get some good deals on Ebay if you go that way. I got my Handsome Devil off of Ebay from a music store that was blowing them out for about 50% off and it was brand new in the box.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the prices are in the front page i believe.
and they sound good for the price.

you wont expect good cleans from them but you can expect a great british crunch out of it.

Oh, I never saw the prices, but God daaaaaa-yuuuum.

I don't use clean sounds with much regularity. I think If it was ever necessary I'd probably just borrow something from my Dad.

Quote by Rio38
Which Blackheart are you referring to? I have owned both a Little Giant and a Handsome Devil.

They are all tube.

How they sound is dependent on what type of sound you are looking for. They have a great classic rock and even modern rock sound when you drive the tubes. Add pedals and you will be able to get whatever sound you are looking for. I have both single pedals and a multi-FX unit and the amps take to them very well.

Pricewise, you can't beat them. They are built to last and you can get some good deals on Ebay if you go that way. I got my Handsome Devil off of Ebay from a music store that was blowing them out for about 50% off and it was brand new in the box.

Thanks for the epic answering. I was speaking generally, but I think the Little Giant is where it's at for me in terms of price.

And yeah, I intend to buy a lot of gear used, since I can't really afford a very professional/high quality set up unused.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Rio38

Thanks.

Try rolling back the volume on your guitar.
Quote by TheBurningFish

Edit: And how necessary is one of the stack/cabinet dealys? Do some of them not have their own speakers? My first amp was a Roland Microcube 5 watt and it could go hella loud itself, never mind what it could do mic'd up.

Overall, they take to pedals well. All of mine sound decent, with the exception of the Big Muff clone I have, which I don't care for on the LG.

As far as the speaker, the stock is ok. Personally, I'd buy the head and look for another cab to use with better speakers.
Im an amp noob so I need a yay or nay from the amp gods

I really need some advice on these amps. I have a Crate V33, its cleans are great. Overdrive totally sucks but it sounds good with my fuzz pedal. But for some reason Im just not happy with it and want to swap it for the Handsome Devil. Would this be stupid of me...? They are both made by Crate, so is the blackheart a step up at all...?

I'm hearing alot of mixed opinions of whether the HD is loud enough or not for gigging. So what is? I would just be playing small venues like bars, cafes, picnics with a 3-4 piece band. I dont need a crystal clean tone because I like playing cleans songs with a bit of edge. (Like the hendrix clean sound)

also are they noisy...? My other Crate hisses and sounds like the ocean when turned up.

One more thing, are these reliable..? for some reason I feel like my v33 is gonna explode, because it has alot of features for cheap.

tl;dr - Not totally happy with my Crate v33 212, should I swap it for an HD...?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Im an amp noob so I need a yay or nay from the amp gods

I really need some advice on these amps. I have a Crate V33, its cleans are great. Overdrive totally sucks but it sounds good with my fuzz pedal. But for some reason Im just not happy with it and want to swap it for the Handsome Devil. Would this be stupid of me...? They are both made by Crate, so is the blackheart a step up at all...?

I'm hearing alot of mixed opinions of whether the HD is loud enough or not for gigging. So what is? I would just be playing small venues like bars, cafes, picnics with a 3-4 piece band. I dont need a crystal clean tone because I like playing cleans songs with a bit of edge. (Like the hendrix clean sound)

also are they noisy...? My other Crate hisses and sounds like the ocean when turned up.

One more thing, are these reliable..? for some reason I feel like my v33 is gonna explode, because it has alot of features for cheap.

tl;dr - Not totally happy with my Crate v33 212, should I swap it for an HD...?

Changing up to the HD isn't stupid at all, it's a good choice.
Yes the HD is loud enough to gig with (you always can mic it up to PA)
and it is not noisy at all
The BlackHearts are 'boutique-amps' without a boutique-amp-price!
Never read a bad review

Peter
^ Alright thanks man. I kinda want to downsize for the sake of convience and being able to crank it more in a small gig. So is the HD my best bet for a 15W amp in this price range..?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Think so. Blackhearts are freakin loud for their wattage all across the board, but the HD should be just fine
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by GuitarNinja12
^ Alright thanks man. I kinda want to downsize for the sake of convience and being able to crank it more in a small gig. So is the HD my best bet for a 15W amp in this price range..?

At least one of the best in this range.

Peter
I'm selling my MG and I think I'm gonna buy the Little Giant Combo, my questions:

Is this amp really good?
Does it sound good with pedals?
Will i get loud cleans for home practicing?

My other option is a Laney LV100 (i know it's a solid state)... Which one should I get?

Nowadays i just use my amp for practicing, but i'm trying to join a band.
Styles: metal, blues, rock, classical music

Thanks.
Laura: Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Sam: Samick Stratocaster Copy (first guitar)
----
Marshall MG250DFX
----
Boss SD-1
Onerr Super Distortion
Just ripped open a bh15-112 I got NiB on ebay ($261!!) and had my first Amplification-related orgasim.

Just wanted to share.
Hell yes! I dimed it today and almost lost my ear drums. With it cranked, outside, and me sitting 20 feet away it wasn't painfully loud. I can't wait to tube it. It definately needs higher quality tubes all the way around. It gets very noisy with either the gain or volume above the 2-3 o'clock position. I expect the gain is too much for me so I may back down from the 12ax7.

I got a Bad Monkey pedal today as well. Nice I think. I played a bit but the kid is passed out so I will have to wait to crank it tomorrow. I hope it gets me closer to my tone goal. Definately need to tube and mod the amp.

Anyway, wanted to share in case anyone gives a crap. Not much of a community for the BH anymore it seems.
hey im still around! i've still got the killer ant in my room.

i must say though, after i purchased the GT-10, i kinda stopped using it on a regular basis.
Hey guys, just got my Blackheart Handsome Devil, and I was wondering what settings you guys use? I've got my bass on about 11 o'clock, middle on 4 o'clock, treble on 2 o'clock, and presence on about 10 o'clock.

What about you?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Hey guys, just got my Blackheart Handsome Devil, and I was wondering what settings you guys use? I've got my bass on about 11 o'clock, middle on 4 o'clock, treble on 2 o'clock, and presence on about 10 o'clock.

What about you?

Right now I play with a Dean Vendetta XM electric which is very twangy. Kinda rockabilly with a a GFS VEH pickup in the bridge. (upgrading to agile AL-3100 soon)

I use a modded Bad Monkey pedal (awsome pedal! Love it!)

The pedal's mod takes away some of the mid range boost, and adds a good bit of bass. Level - 10, bass 5-10, treble 5, gain 0. This adds a ton of drive and really "tightens" the input up a bit. I like it.

With this pretty bass heavy input I usually EQ the amp w/ Bass:3oc, mid 9oc, treb 1oc, pres 12oc. Always 15watt. I usually put the power amp up to 9oc and use the preamp as a volume.

EQing is always going to be a personal thing. I played with mine for hours and when I put a MXR m-108 in a custom effects loop, it will probably take days to trim it all out.

Back to my original reason for posting: TUBES!

I broke down and hit up the local music shop for some tubes today. They had a matched set of Ruby Tubes (JJ el84) tubes, and 3 different types of preamp tubes. (All groove tube rebranded)
12ax7-c, 12ax7-r, 12ax7-r2

I got the el84s, and the 12ax7-r2 tubes because they only had 2 of those. I will be getting the 12ax7-c tomorrow (didn't bring enough cash)

The R2's are long plate versions with more bass response. let me be heard: Replace the stock tubes immediately! They are total garbage!!! The new tubes aren't completely broken in yet (still sound a little sterile) but they were 10x better than stock after 2-3 minutes of playing!!! No more hiss/such until you dime it. Knocking the presence down to 10oc removes all the hiss, but there is zero hum. Love it! The 12ax7-r are known as having more mid and treble and lower bass response and gain. Not going to get one.

I am going to get 1 12ax7-c tomorrow if what I think is right, is right. It is my understanding from examining the schematic, that the preamp tubes can be completely different. IE, it hits one 12ax7, then moves on to the next. I want to get a single 12ax7-c to put in one of the preamp valves (probably the 2nd). It is suppose to be very high gain, and very very clear sounding. I think it will suit the kind of metal I want to play.

I donno. Will report.
Quote by PimpSmurf
Right now I play with a Dean Vendetta XM electric which is very twangy. Kinda rockabilly with a a GFS VEH pickup in the bridge. (upgrading to agile AL-3100 soon)

I use a modded Bad Monkey pedal (awsome pedal! Love it!)

The pedal's mod takes away some of the mid range boost, and adds a good bit of bass. Level - 10, bass 5-10, treble 5, gain 0. This adds a ton of drive and really "tightens" the input up a bit. I like it.

With this pretty bass heavy input I usually EQ the amp w/ Bass:3oc, mid 9oc, treb 1oc, pres 12oc. Always 15watt. I usually put the power amp up to 9oc and use the preamp as a volume.

EQing is always going to be a personal thing. I played with mine for hours and when I put a MXR m-108 in a custom effects loop, it will probably take days to trim it all out.

Back to my original reason for posting: TUBES!

I broke down and hit up the local music shop for some tubes today. They had a matched set of Ruby Tubes (JJ el84) tubes, and 3 different types of preamp tubes. (All groove tube rebranded)
12ax7-c, 12ax7-r, 12ax7-r2

I got the el84s, and the 12ax7-r2 tubes because they only had 2 of those. I will be getting the 12ax7-c tomorrow (didn't bring enough cash)

The R2's are long plate versions with more bass response. let me be heard: Replace the stock tubes immediately! They are total garbage!!! The new tubes aren't completely broken in yet (still sound a little sterile) but they were 10x better than stock after 2-3 minutes of playing!!! No more hiss/such until you dime it. Knocking the presence down to 10oc removes all the hiss, but there is zero hum. Love it! The 12ax7-r are known as having more mid and treble and lower bass response and gain. Not going to get one.

I am going to get 1 12ax7-c tomorrow if what I think is right, is right. It is my understanding from examining the schematic, that the preamp tubes can be completely different. IE, it hits one 12ax7, then moves on to the next. I want to get a single 12ax7-c to put in one of the preamp valves (probably the 2nd). It is suppose to be very high gain, and very very clear sounding. I think it will suit the kind of metal I want to play.

I donno. Will report.

Nice post man, interesting stuff you got there.
The tubes in there now are just no-name Chinese tubes, aren't they?

I'm still pretty happy with the sound, especially since I've been tweaking the settings for like 5 hours .
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!