Yes
23 41%
No
13 23%
Not sure/no opinion
20 36%
Voters: 56.
Page 1 of 2
After discussing Carvin amps, Anarkee said I should make a poll, since I asked what the general consensus on transparent amps were.

Thanks!

My summary thing sucked ):
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Jan 20, 2009,
so what's the question?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i mean, they are alright, but i think it is kinda weird. so i put no
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
man, it depends. some people like the classic tones from ampeg and ashdown which are not transparent at all. i suppose with a transparent amp you could get the amp to be more versatile but it would be harder to get the classic tone of those amps. the best bet would be to try them out, but im assuming you have no carvin dealer nearby?

like i said, its all personal preference.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
See-through guitars and drums are cool. So I say yes to amps too.

edit: disregard, I was operating under the wrong definition of transparent.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Last edited by civildp1 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by Tatersalad1080
...im assuming you have no carvin dealer nearby?

nope. It's a bit of a gamble, because there's one guitar store where I live, and they have maybe 10 bass amps, most of which are starter 35w stuff.

I was looking at this carvin, seems pretty good to me. https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR515N Ihad no notion of this transparent stuff though.
well carvins are usually a bit cheaper and i suppose you could always run some kind of preamp into it if you truly were unsatisfied with the tone.

what kind of music do you play?
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Everything but country and rap. I no longer do classical-esque on my electric, since I got my upright. Being able to plug my upright in once I get a fishman full circle or something would be nice, too.
Depends. A lot of the time, they're only as transparent as you want them to be. Other times, they're bright and there's nothing you can do about it. In the case of Carvin, like I said in the other thread they're only as transparent as you want them to be.

Otherwise, all you have to do is throw a Bass Driver in front of it and voila, instant color.
Nope, no sig here.
hmmm. well im thinking the upright would actually sound better through a more transparent amp actually. but i personally like a more classic "British" tone with my electric.

have you checked out any ashdown amps? i know it sounds like im following everyone else on this forum but i have one and i actually really like the tone. Compared to its price, its amazing.

you should actually try some country basslines :P they're pretty fun, and they sound great on uprights lol.
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
lol. I'm completely unbiased to different genres, country's just not one I like. Playing the bassline by myself- sure. Soon as you add a singer, I'm gone :P

I was actually deadset on an ashdown, until I saw the carvin. It just seems a better deal than the ashdown. http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034

I'd do that fancy link-naming thing, but I don't know how.
I love transparent amps, so far I love Acoustic, but have been looking at Carvins for a while...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
lol @ the singer comment.

i actually own that exact amp. like i said, pretty damn great, worth the money without a doubt in my mind.
i was gonna buy a carvin as well, the one of the BR series but it was more money with shipping than my MAG so i got it instead, shipping off of carvin.com is ridiculous. you're canadian as well so i'd take a look at their shipping info if i were you, its just plain offensive how much they want.:P
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
I read the shipping policy concerning Canada, but I didn't know what expedited meant. It said I have to pay 5x shipping on the third day. So, if I don't mind waiting, will it gradually get even lower?

It's $70 additional for the weight plus whatever extra I have to pay to get it in Canada on MF. I think I have to pay the regular shipping fee on top of that too. :P which seems like a lot.
Quote by Mutant Corn
^

Wasn't bad for me, considering what was being shipped.

true, but are you from Canada? its a lot higher to ship to Canada
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
are you in ontario? i could see if i can dig up my receipt for the amp if you're wondering what the duty charges are. gimme a few minutes.
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I love transparent amps. Transparency translates into versatility in my mind. I have no patience for old school sounds. Get a ruddy time machine...

Your just jealous 'cause you never saw the Who, Zeppelin or Floyd live.

Old school ftw. I'm sorry, I'd love to own a Trace Elliot, HiWatt or a Bassman!
A transparent amp can give you a totally different tone according to what bass you are playing. All amps will sound different but I find it's much more noticeable with the "transparent ones" Although i've only played on a couple. I personally like tube amps so that colors my tone quite a bit.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Transparent for me.... my Warwicks give me 99% of my sound, so I need an amp that is clear, dynamic, flexible, and clean. SWR, Eden, GK.... all are cool in my book. And with the music I play it works out extremely well. I can even get away with going ampless in live situations if I wanted to. You'll notice that most of the people who hate DI's and desire a "colorful" amp or all-tube amp are usually playing vintage-type basses. The amp is the other half of the equation in their situations.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 21, 2009,
I like passive basses and tube-sounding amps. I need ridiculous amounts of mids, give me MORE MIDS!!!

I don't have a need for a transparent amp, I want something that I can get the throatiest tone out of and a wee bit of grit when necessary. On top of that I really only have two clean amp settings that I use, everything else is done via my pedal board or the tone knob on my bass and position of my right hand.
The BR heads aren't totally transparent. When you take the drive control up above 5ish it is not a very clean amp. It grits and growls at you a little. But I still like transparent amps all the same.
I'm all for the classics. I love my Ashdown to bits, can't wait to try out a BTA400 either!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I'm all for the classics. I love my Ashdown to bits, can't wait to try out a BTA400 either!
Oh God. I just looked at the BTA400 on Ashdown's website and now I have serious G.A.S. It's a 400 watt all-tube!
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Jan 21, 2009,
i love my LH500 it's really transparent so you can hear the bass through it uncoloured.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Oh God. I just looked at the BTA400 on Ashdown's website and now I have serious G.A.S. It's a 400 watt all-tube!

And more solid than a tank too! Bet it weighs a ton though.

Dan the Hartke arrived?! Bet that sounds great!
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
And more solid than a tank too! Bet it weighs a ton though.

Dan the Hartke arrived?! Bet that sounds great!

yeah it came 3 hours ago

i posted a thread about, with pics obviously
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.

??

Nah not really, I prefer amps with a bit of colour and classic feel.
Go ,i cant decide, i really cant, its a question of how much i like my bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by skater dan0
yeah it came 3 hours ago

i posted a thread about, with pics obviously

Nice!

Ahh yeah I see the thread now.
Quote by Bumper

I think a lack of transparency is the byproduct of poor/antiquated amplifier design. Transparent doesn't mean characterless - it means it plays exactly what you put through it. You can make it sound however you want, except for extremely branded. My SWR has a unique as hell tone under my fingers, and it's the king of transparency.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I much prefer a transparent amp to one that colours it in a bad way, but I have yet to get fully decided on the issue.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I still see it as, if you enjoy the tone of your bass completly and just want it, then use a transparent amp. But you can also really like the tone of your bass, but want to get moretones. You can bypass the eq on alot of amps, maybe this is more usefull on more"colourful amps". For instance, i really like the tone of my jazz, but would love to Run it through an ampeg svt 2, which has alot of colour to it. Does this make sense in a way, can someone clarify.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
This depends, would you consider Gallien Krueger transparent? If so, YES! Transparency FTW.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Page 1 of 2