So I've tried searching for pre-slotted nuts and I feel like an idiot because I can't seem to find one. I've looked up tutorials people here have suggested and nothing, so I'll pay someone, we can bargain over it, I can give you measurements and everything.

Any takers?
...What are you talking about?

I know people on here who make pick ups for each other and guitars. I'm just asking if they can make me a nut
I am actually having a similar problem.

I am ordering a custom made strat-style neck and it doesn not come with a nut. So I am in the same boat you are, I will let you know what solution I come up with. Although most nuts are made out of bone so you should be able to file it down with a razor zine file.

Home Depot, friend. Home Depot.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Why can't you find a pre slotted nut?

Unless you'e using some wierd custom measurements, you can buy the nut.

Also, VertigodowN, you've been *reported* for spam.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Why can't you find a pre slotted nut?

Unless you'e using some wierd custom measurements, you can buy the nut.

Also, VertigodowN, you've been *reported* for spam.

I thought you reported me for a second there lol, But I've got measurements but I used a regular old ruler so I get measurements that are Like 1/2" and stuff, and when I go to look for it, I see measurements that are like 22/36" so...i'm kinda lost.
It's for an LP rip, Saga kit. And yes yes I know i've heard the crap about it, I just wanna try and see if I can make it a decent guitar by swapping out the bits and pieces.
Quote by LP Addict
it should be either 1 5/8'' wide, or 1 11/16'' wide.

Err...maybe I should re-measure it.

by wide you mean from side to side right?

Edit: Ya it's 1 5/8
Last edited by SGlover69 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by LP Addict
that will be 1 11/16'' x 3/16'' x 1/4'' tall

Ok so...my guitar nut is 3/8'' tall...but I think that would cause the action to be way too high.

but thank you you really helped LP lol
That's not why i want a new nut.

The one I have, is made of plastic, and..i heard plastic nuts suck badly, especially with the friction caused by the bends.

Mislead info?
When did we ever discuss why you wanted it?

I meant file the new one down if it is too tall.

ust lubricate the contact points with graphite (pencil lead) and you'll be OK, or get just get a new nut for $5.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
When did we ever discuss why you wanted it?

I meant file the new one down if it is too tall.

ust lubricate the contact points with graphite (pencil lead) and you'll be OK, or get just get a new nut for $5.

Oh i thought that's why you told me to file it down my bad.

That's a good idea, I thought about it, but I wasn't sure if I should try it, but I think i'll do it, just cause it'd be easier.

By the way, what should i use to put it in?Epoxy?
No!

You want to be able to take it out if it ever gets damaged.

A tiny, tiny dab of superglue, just enough to hold it lightly in place.

String tension will take care of the rest.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I've found none that fit. They're all too small in one way or another, but I need one that's curved. Like the picture (The one that says "end") and i can't find any that are atleast a little shorter then what I have with that.

So if anyone can put one together for me, It'd be nice.
Attachments:
nut_gibson_shaped_1&5-8.jpg
Stewmac, and all parts both have preslotted LP nuts, in several materials. But making a nut over the net not gonna be easy cant just tell me slots so deep etc. If you want it done right you gotta have the guitar in front of you. Filling the string slots down for a really good fit takes the special files and and some experience. I have to make mine from scratch being a lefty, pretty much impossible to find preslotted lefties. Ive made at least 20 and still screw some of em up. So you can spend the money on tools or getting it done at a shop, probably about the same cost.