The Hardwire DL-8 has a lot more features, but the Carbon Copy is analog. It all depends on what you like, and what you want from a delay pedal.
i can't speak for the hardwire, but the carbon copy is amazing. i love it.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
CC doesn't color your tone, doesn't sound over processed digital, simplicstic yet complex, so I would say MXR hands down.
depends what you want.

simple analog delay - carbon copy
digital delay with more options and looper - hardwire dl-8
I personally think that the Boss DD-7 is the best choice if you are going digital. Double the looping time, external tap tempo switch and only slightly shorter delay time. It's bypass is good as well.

If going analog though, CC and also the DMM are good choices.
Quote by mwalluk
CC doesn't color your tone...

actually it does. quite a bit in fact. oh, im sure i know what you mean (especially with the other stuff you said) but the fact remains that it does color your sound. there is some very serious signal degredation going on with the repeats (from my experience), but it happens in a pleasing way. like with most analog delays (or ones ive tried) the repeats lose high-end and become a bit more mushy as the repeats increase. it also has a fairly distinct sound, so your original tone is not completly going through anyway. again, its not a bad thing, it just is.

as for the choices, i would go for an ibanez ad-9. similar to the CC without the modulations, but i like it better. my brother prefers the CC over the ad-9 though, so you have to try both out. or if you want those pristine delays with no changes to the sound, go digital.
I used to own a Carbon Copy. Suffice it to say I traded for the Hardwire delay and it's fantastic. The only reason it doesn't get more press is because very few people have actually messed with one yet. It's a great pedal. Better than the DD7 IMO,
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I used to own a Carbon Copy. Suffice it to say I traded for the Hardwire delay and it's fantastic. The only reason it doesn't get more press is because very few people have actually messed with one yet. It's a great pedal. Better than the DD7 IMO,

Yes, I decided on the DL8. Found a good deal ($132 shipped which is about half of what it would cost me locally) It's gotten some excellent reviews by people who know delay pedals. Apparently that whole line of Hardwire pedals is excellent and they are in fact tru bypass. Should be shipping out to me today.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Yes, I decided on the DL8. Found a good deal ($132 shipped which is about half of what it would cost me locally) It's gotten some excellent reviews by people who know delay pedals. Apparently that whole line of Hardwire pedals is excellent and they are in fact tru bypass. Should be shipping out to me today.

Awesome! Trust me, you'll love it. I think it's one of the best sounding delay pedals out there. Try the Hardwire Chorus pedal too if you're into Chorus. It's great also. Congrats on your new pedal.
I actually own a Hardwire DL8, a Carbon Copy and a AD9 reissue. I've had the AD9 for 2 years. I just bought the DL8 and the CC at the same time in order to do a shootout, and see which I like the best.

These are my thoughts: The AD9 and the CC are VERY similar. But...

-The CC: has a brighter, stronger, more in your face voice to it.
-The AD9 is somewhat darker and grittier. The repeats get more dirty on the AD9 than in the CC
-The CC's longer delay time is a BIG plus. And it's nice that it has modulation.
-The CC's can cause bad feedback if the repeats are too high. My ears are still ringing. The AD9 has not done that to me.
-According to MXR the CC has True-Bypass. But I won't believe it until I take a look inside. The AD9, does not have TB.
-The AD9 has stereo outs. I big plus on that, at least for me
-The CC is smaller. Good.
-Overall I like the CC more in all aspects. The only thing is... I wish it had stereo outs.

Which brings me to the DL8. The DL8 is different enough that you could actually have it share the board with either of the analog delays. If you use a lot of delay in your music, you might benefit from using both an Analog and Digital delay. I'll admit, the model of the Analog Delay in the DL8 is not bad at all.

The DL8 is a more versatile pedal, but that might not be good for those who like simplicity. Still, I like simplicity, and I find the DL8 simple enough to work well for me. I like the fact that it not only has stereo outs, but also has stereo ins. This way I can feed it with my Ibanez Stereo Chorus (in stereo). Still, I enjoy the sound of analog delay. It's more musical. But, the versatility of a digital unit is hard to beat.

In conclusion, I think I going to sell my AD9, and keep both the CC and DL8. The only thing I like more about the AD9 over the CC is the stereo outs and the fact that it's Ibanez (I have a thing for Ibanez). But, since the DL8 will take care of the stereo issue... The AD9 can go.
I don't know if you noticed, but TubeAmpGuy bought the AD9 already.

Edit: ooops sorry

Good review though. You should do a formal review of each and submit them as contributions.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't know if you noticed, but TubeAmpGuy bought the AD9 already.

Good review though. You should do a formal review of each and submit them as contributions.

I did?
Quote by dannycruz
I actually own a Hardwire DL8, a Carbon Copy and a AD9 reissue. I've had the AD9 for 2 years. I just bought the DL8 and the CC at the same time in order to do a shootout, and see which I like the best.

These are my thoughts: The AD9 and the CC are VERY similar. But...

-The CC: has a brighter, stronger, more in your face voice to it.
-The AD9 is somewhat darker and grittier. The repeats get more dirty on the AD9 than in the CC
-The CC's longer delay time is a BIG plus. And it's nice that it has modulation.
-The CC's can cause bad feedback if the repeats are too high. My ears are still ringing. The AD9 has not done that to me.
-According to MXR the CC has True-Bypass. But I won't believe it until I take a look inside. The AD9, does not have TB.
-The AD9 has stereo outs. I big plus on that, at least for me
-The CC is smaller. Good.
-Overall I like the CC more in all aspects. The only thing is... I wish it had stereo outs.

Which brings me to the DL8. The DL8 is different enough that you could actually have it share the board with either of the analog delays. If you use a lot of delay in your music, you might benefit from using both an Analog and Digital delay. I'll admit, the model of the Analog Delay in the DL8 is not bad at all.

The DL8 is a more versatile pedal, but that might not be good for those who like simplicity. Still, I like simplicity, and I find the DL8 simple enough to work well for me. I like the fact that it not only has stereo outs, but also has stereo ins. This way I can feed it with my Ibanez Stereo Chorus (in stereo). Still, I enjoy the sound of analog delay. It's more musical. But, the versatility of a digital unit is hard to beat.

In conclusion, I think I going to sell my AD9, and keep both the CC and DL8. The only thing I like more about the AD9 over the CC is the stereo outs and the fact that it's Ibanez (I have a thing for Ibanez). But, since the DL8 will take care of the stereo issue... The AD9 can go.

Thanks for the review but I already bought the DL8 and it arrived today so I've been playing a lot of Van Halen and Boston with it and I am very impressed by the sounds I am able to get with it. It sounds really good in the loop. Haven't tried it in front but don't think I need to. Very sweet pedal.