i was watching a video on youtube of some kid trying out his new custom built EVH guitar, and he was actually shredding on a MG, anyway, he did this thing (he later called it a 'harmonic roll') where you tap frets 5 &3 [repeatedly], meanwhile lightly slide with your picking hand down the tapped string, starting from the bridge, and it made this pretty sweet sound. does anyone know about this technique? does it have a different name? and are there some other scales to try to perfect it?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
post a link.....
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
It has nothing to do with scales...there are a bunch of harmonic nodes near the bridge. By sliding your picking hand down the string while trilling with your fret hand, you're bringing out the natural harmonics at the different nodes near the bridge (they're close together).
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by bjovi400
i was watching a video on youtube of some kid trying out his new custom built EVH guitar, and he was actually shredding on a MG, anyway, he did this thing (he later called it a 'harmonic roll') where you tap frets 5 &3 [repeatedly], meanwhile lightly slide with your picking hand down the tapped string, starting from the bridge, and it made this pretty sweet sound. does anyone know about this technique? does it have a different name? and are there some other scales to try to perfect it?

ZOMG REALLY!?!?
MGs are amps, too, now please get off your high horse.

On topic, yes, I do know of this technique.
It's quite simple.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by bjovi400

yea ive seen that before. not really much more to it than what you described actually. as someone said, its not really a scale thing. just practice doing the hammer ons in different spots and trying t get the same effect. im not sure what its called though. that might be the name, who knows?
It's used by EVH not long after the solo in Somebody Get Me A Doctor.
As described, it is really just bringing out natural harmonics located near the bridge.
Not a huge fan of bees
Is it the kid with the black and white Frankenstrat?
IMO he has a great tone with the MG proving that tone is more about fingers than your amp.
check out guthrie govans sevens live video from the guitar show in london, about 3:33 there is a monsterous version of this technique.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BuPJtyJh3Hk
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

IMO he has a great tone with the MG proving that tone is more about fingers than your amp.

There's a good deal of ignorant stupidity about amps when you take into account
volume levels and any effects used. If you're using an MG at typical home volumes
it's not going to sound much worse (or better) than anything else.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
ZOMG REALLY!?!?
MGs are amps, too, now please get off your high horse.

On topic, yes, I do know of this technique.
It's quite simple.

my high horse?

I've played on a Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider III 75w, & Crate GTD65; all being SS combos, for the past 6 years straight.

Trust me, i'm not on a high horse by any means.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
my high horse?

I've played on a Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider III 75w, & Crate GTD65; all being SS combos, for the past 6 years straight.

Trust me, i'm not on a high horse by any means.

Actually I think he was referring to the way you seemed to be insinuating that no one who owns an MG should be able to shred, as if shred-like chops are restricted to those with $2000 rigs...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i apologize for not being clear, i ment "shredding" as very nice tone.

Most who shred(& show it [even professionals]) usually have exceptionally nice tones because of their amps and technique as they shred
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by Gelato
It's used by EVH not long after the solo in Somebody Get Me A Doctor.
As described, it is really just bringing out natural harmonics located near the bridge.

Also in the beginning of Good Enough and the very end of Sucker In A 3-Piece... Such a cool technique... But when i try it, it sounds like crap...
Quote by bjovi400
i apologize for not being clear, i ment "shredding" as very nice tone.

Most who shred(& show it [even professionals]) usually have exceptionally nice tones because of their amps and technique as they shred
I'd say most shredders have exceptionally BAD tone, and it has nothing to do with their amps.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Quote by ramm_ty
I'd say most shredders have exceptionally BAD tone, and it has nothing to do with their amps.

I'd say it depends how you define "most", I think all of my favourite shredders to listen to have wonderful tone but I would agree that 99% of the bedroom shredders on youtube have terrible tone.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'd say it depends how you define "most", I think all of my favourite shredders to listen to have wonderful tone but I would agree that 99% of the bedroom shredders on youtube have terrible tone.

Yes, this is what I meant. I think guys like PG and GG have great tone.
Quote by TGautier13
Quote by ramm_ty
Yes, this is what I meant. I think guys like PG and GG have great tone.

That's all right then, as long as everyone shares my opinion we're all right.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
i was wondering about this too
so any one can further explain how to do it properly?
^^

Put your first finger on the C on the 5th string (3rd fret). Now do a trill onto the D (5th fret) and slide your picking hand slowly against the 5th string starting at the bridge. Don't press down too hard. Treat it like you would a normal harmonic.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
^^

Put your first finger on the C on the 5th string (3rd fret). Now do a trill onto the D (5th fret) and slide your picking hand slowly against the 5th string starting at the bridge. Don't press down too hard. Treat it like you would a normal harmonic.

so im doing hamer on and pull offs normally and just sliding my hand on the string so the harmnics go off?
thanks