hey i didnt really know what to put this is, so i chose the pit. I wanna get an external hard drive and i have some questions. Currently im running on windows XP and have a **** load of music programs and music files and recording files. If i can an external i can back up everything to that and delete it off my computer, but can i run it all directly from the hard drive? and also does an external like this

P2167:CL142595">P2167:CL142595">http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Western-Digital-My-Book-trade-Essential-Edition-trade-2.0-External-Hard-Drives_193956_Business_Supplies_1_10051_FEATURED:SC3:CG104P2167:CL142595

take up any ram on the computer to run it? i have 1 gb of ram on my computer
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
You could store all your music on that, but loading times are a lot faster if it is stored on the internal hard drive. External drives are usually USB or firewire and those aren't nearly as fast as whatever the internal connections are.
And it takes up no RAM.
Quote by RPGoof
You could store all your music on that, but loading times are a lot faster if it is stored on the internal hard drive. External drives are usually USB or firewire and those aren't nearly as fast as whatever the internal connections are.
And it takes up no RAM.

This.

The point of an external hard drive is to back up/store files to which you don't need immediate access (music, movies, photos, etc.) to clear up space on your internal hard drive for programs.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by RPGoof
And it takes up no RAM.

ok thanks. and one more question, would i be able to have all my files like acid pro projects and all that and GP file on their, and have like Acid Pro and Guitar Pro on my internal, and have it still run well? like have the files on my external, but the programs themselves on the internal, but run the projects off the external
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by Tig Bitties
ok thanks. and one more question, would i be able to have all my files like acid pro projects and all that and GP file on their, and have like Acid Pro and Guitar Pro on my internal, and have it still run well? like have the files on my external, but the programs themselves on the internal, but run the projects off the external

Look for an external with a speed of 7200rpm and a 16MB buffer and you're set. I don't use mine all the time, but I can play movies off of it and even work on Cubase files without any lag.
Quote by Tig Bitties

Yes.
USB is faster than IDE which is what older computers use for internal hard drives, the new connection is SATA which I believe is than USB, so speed is not really an issue. The main problem is it is external so it is susceptible to accidents. If it gets dropped from where it is placed, something spilled on it, hit with something, or a magnet (HD's worst enemy). Since the hard drive is the computer's only actual moving electrical component (cooling systems not counted) it could crap out over time. I suggest internal HD if you have a slot on your computer for it.

EDIT: If you have eSATA then you're in luck if you get an external HD
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Last edited by kingofdudes161 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by kingofdudes161
USB is faster than IDE

No, IDE's faster than USB, (e)SATA is better than both of them.
Quote by acersucks
No, IDE's faster than USB, (e)SATA is better than both of them.

well what if i got an USB to ESATA adapter. Would it still run like usb? of would i have to buy ESATA hardware and install it on my computer?
Has nobody heard of the Computer Thread anymore?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Tig Bitties
well what if i got an USB to ESATA adapter. Would it still run like usb? of would i have to buy ESATA hardware and install it on my computer?

Why would you want to do that? Just get a external USB hard drive. No it's not as fast as IDE, but it's not shit slow.

Edit: I could have swore (lol) that the admins uncensored 'shit', or was that another word?
Last edited by acersucks at Jan 20, 2009,
Unless you have a laptop I would suggest getting an internal hard drive. My 1TB hard drive that I just bought was $100. I moved my games and music over to it and left windows on my 160GB.
Oh, and if you're thinking of getting a WD My Book, read some reviews on New Egg, because I remember something about them dieing out quickly. Probably doesn't happen with the new ones, but just to be sure.
^ Ah really? I just got a 320GB WD My book. Hope it doesn't cark it on me.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
1: USB 2.0 has a transfer capacity of 480 megs per second, you'll never max this out.
2: Yes, you can have the program on your main harddrive and the files on your external
3: There would be no point in getting a USB to eSata adapter since the disk wouldn't transfer files faster than the USB port would allow on it anyway.