Bass forum, what are your opinions on steinbergers? And I don't mean just the looks, but has anyone actually played one, how do they sound?
Ask Geddy Lee
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
same company as Gibson...

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Typically, they sound honest-to-God like those synth bass lines did back in the 80's. The bodies are composite so it has a really plastic, composite sound that suited those 80's Frankie Goes To Hollywood style songs. Horrible neck dive, believe it or not.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Typically, they sound honest-to-God like those synth bass lines did back in the 80's. The bodies are composite so it has a really plastic, composite sound that suited those 80's Frankie Goes To Hollywood style songs. Horrible neck dive, believe it or not.

Really now? It seems like it would have hardly any neck dive, what with no headstock and all. Don't the more expensive ones have a graphite core or something that should reduce the weight? And as for the sound, I guess I'll have to go back to dreaming of a Rick, as 80's synth tones are not my bread and butter
Quote by Tostitos
Really now? It seems like it would have hardly any neck dive, what with no headstock and all. Don't the more expensive ones have a graphite core or something that should reduce the weight? And as for the sound, I guess I'll have to go back to dreaming of a Rick, as 80's synth tones are not my bread and butter

I assumed that as well. Then I did some thinking.

It has a tiny composite body that weighs about nothing. So if the neck weights anything, its going to tip that way.
The new ones are a wood/composite hybrid and have an extending shoulder strap piece, which balances it out perfectly. There's no headstock, but there's still much more neck than body. Steinbergers with strap buttons on the bodies themselves dive terribly, but not so much with the strap extension (like the Nobby Meidel). However, that totally defeats the look.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmmm, Im thinking I might just get one of the cheaper spirit models anyways, mostly just to cannibalize the bridge and headless system, maybe keep the neck. I was looking for new ideas on a bass build, and looking for aftermarket headless bridges is one of the most frustrating things I've ever done. Might as well just rip the bridge and nut thingy out, along with some extra pots and knobs!
Quote by Tostitos
Hmmm, Im thinking I might just get one of the cheaper spirit models anyways, mostly just to cannibalize the bridge and headless system, maybe keep the neck. I was looking for new ideas on a bass build, and looking for aftermarket headless bridges is one of the most frustrating things I've ever done. Might as well just rip the bridge and nut thingy out, along with some extra pots and knobs!

Contact Status. They DID sell the headless bridges at one time. Funnily enough, there's one on eBay UK at the moment, I was tempted just to experiment with it. If I was ever going down the headless bass playing, it would have to be a Status Streamline.

Status website
^^
That is one of the sexiest basses I've seen in a long time (add LEDs in the fretboard for maximum sexyness). I have found one or two sites that sell the bridges, in addition to ebay, but they're like $200 here in the states for the whole bridge + headless endpiece. I figure, why not buy a whole steinberger on musiciansfriend for like $450, and get the whole package. I get the bridge, plus some pots and knobs and stuff I can transplant into my next build, plus a whole bunch of other steinberger parts I can do god knows what with.
I'd recommend playing one to see if you like it: The early models that were made by Ned Steinberger (before Gibson bought him out) are probably the best out there. The classic bass is an XL2, classic guitar would be GL4T.
The new synapse is pretty cool but you would just need to give it a whirl to see if it's for you.
There is an interesting internet community specifically for the Steinberger underworld might want to check them out and throw some questions at them.
Steinberger Community
i played a hohner headless steinberger copy and i loved it, it felt really light and easy to play, plugged in it sounded exactly as fitzy described it. synthy it's great if that's your thing but if you want old school bass tones it's not the bass you're looking for
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
They are nice to play but way too synthy for me. The sound reminds me of far too much of the 1980s, a decade that I committed more fashion faux pas than I care to admit too.
Quote by anarkee
They are nice to play but way too synthy for me. The sound reminds me of far too much of the 1980s, a decade that I committed more fashion faux pas than I care to admit too.

ahh the 80s, the one decade i'm glad i'm too young to have been a part of
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Warwick do a similar design, slightly more classical design, I forget what it is called though
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by skater dan0
ahh the 80s, the one decade i'm glad i'm too young to have been a part of

Yes in the 1980s you too could have looked like this and played a Steinberger bass.
Quote by anarkee

Yes in the 1980s you too could have looked like this and played a Steinberger bass.

The picture doesn't show up for me, only an add for "fortune city"

I want to play a Steinberger to see if it fits my body how I think it would (as well as a violin bass or something. I guess the concept is having a small instrument that I can comfortably wear on my sternum)

Plus that bass tone sounds dashing in the Jesus video :0
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Ewww, I was born in the 80's, but I'm glad I don't look like a FortuneCity placeholder logo
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by anarkee
Ok I found an even better picture of John Taylor.

Post has been corrected.

Oy gevaldt...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Confused2316

I think that's not a steinberger, though.
If you look at the bridge/tuning posts and body shape, you'll notice it's slightly different fromt he steinberger basses.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Hmmm, does the design and the materials really affect the tone that much, or is it just steinbergers pups + the piezo bridge that brings back the days of cheap polyester and the worst decade of automotive design we have yet to see?