I haven't really seen any place to put funk topics, but as funk WAS derived from jazz, I assume it belongs here Anyways, I've recently become addicted to a band called Galactic. They're from New Orleans, I believe their first album was in '92. Stanton Moore is the grooviest drummer alive!! They don't exactly have a plethora of guitar work in their music, but they're amazing to say the least. Vintage Reissue is a SWEET album but most of their new stuff is kinda hip-hop-ish unfortunately. If you have any videos or anything you'd like to share, place it here
I love galactic!! I've been listening to ruckus a lot lately. Have you ever been to their concerts? I'm assuming they'd be really good live, and I think I might seem them in feb.
I saw them in November 2007 (there were here again this past fall but I didn't catch that show) and they are fantastic live. Their drummer Stanton Moore is very talented. I'm not as big a fan of the whole rap approach they've been doing since From The Corner To The Block and admittedly I never listen to that album, but it was a lot more fun seeing it live.
I totally agree with you Shpongled, the rap approach is less than desirable, but the band still holds its own I think. I heard somewhere that they don't tour too far out from New Orleans, is that true?
i love them. and i like the rap approach, alot of rap was inspired by by funk.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i'll check them out.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by chea_man
i love them. and i like the rap approach, alot of rap was inspired by by funk.

With their last album I listened and just kind of felt like the band had taken a backseat to the rappers who rap over their music. I still listen to Ruckus regularly, but I don't think I've put on From The Corner To The Block since the first time I played it. Their live show was still fun since I was able to try and tune into the band and the level of excitement from the show as a whole helps to overcome stuff that I wouldn't normally like. They also still played a few instrumentals without any rappers. But still in the end I much preferred their previous sound.
I had to bring this back because galactic is the ****. I haven't heard From the Corner To The Block, but I'm downloading it now. I heard a concert where Chali 2na(from Jurassic 5) played with them and it was awesome (I like hip-hop a lot too). They did a great cover of What's Golden. If it is like that I will probably like it, though Ruckus and Crazyhorse Mongoose will remain my favorites probably.
dere cool. Check out Garage a Trios, stanton moore drums in that too, and Charlie Hunter is in it.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Ramblin'_Man
I had to bring this back because galactic is the ****. I haven't heard From the Corner To The Block, but I'm downloading it now. I heard a concert where Chali 2na(from Jurassic 5) played with them and it was awesome (I like hip-hop a lot too). They did a great cover of What's Golden. If it is like that I will probably like it, though Ruckus and Crazyhorse Mongoose will remain my favorites probably.

Yeah if you like rap then you'll probably dig From The Corner To The Block. Just not my thing really, I liked their straight funk style much more.
i'm a mod now¬!

funk thread, my good man
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish