I was wondering how would change the feel in my baritone guitar if I tuned standard (now its tuned BEADF#B) and put a lighter gauge.

Did the math and the results are that string tension will be about the same as it is now, but the force will be smaller, so that I had to loosen the truss rod.

Does this sound qualitatively right to you, according to your experience?

Also, as it has a floyd, I had to loosen the trem screws to keep it leveled.
Are they long enough to loosen them that much? I dont want to bel killed by a trem screw
Last edited by bazuriya at Jan 20, 2009,
Im not going to ask how much math and all went into that, but I will just say kudos to you sir...
Quote by littlephil
I wouldnt worry about the trem screw. They're usually like 1 3/4" long.

How does the trem screw come into this at all?

TS, the only way you'll know for sure is if you try.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface

Did you actually read the first post? Have a look at the last paragraph.
Quote by Doodleface

My bad. I edited the post a few times cause I didnt make up my mind about if I had to loosen or tighten the screws in the trem, but now I know I had to loosen them.
the truss rod should not be touched unless the neck is bent, and to bend it back.

if you turn it, it will bend it either towards the bridge, or away from it.

point is, you tune higher, you need lighter strings. you tune lower (B standard in your case) you need heavier gauge strings. it all depends, your neck may be weak, and susceptible to heavy gauges with high pitches.

then again, if you put 11's and tuned to E standard, and tightened the truss rod enough, i would guess it would become stable sooner or later, but i would tune it to D first, then E flat, for the stresses sake.

good luck
Quote by filthylittleboy
the truss rod should not be touched unless the neck is bent, and to bend it back.

if you turn it, it will bend it either towards the bridge, or away from it.

point is, you tune higher, you need lighter strings. you tune lower (B standard in your case) you need heavier gauge strings. it all depends, your neck may be weak, and susceptible to heavy gauges with high pitches.

then again, if you put 11's and tuned to E standard, and tightened the truss rod enough, i would guess it would become stable sooner or later, but i would tune it to D first, then E flat, for the stresses sake.

good luck

Ok. So you mean that if I put lighter gauge and tune to standard my neck will suffer more stress?
^Not with lighter strings, no. At least not a whole lot. I'd say just put put them on, tune up and after a day or two you can do the diagnostics on your neck to see if you need to adjust the rod.
Quote by bazuriya
I was wondering how would change the feel in my baritone guitar if I tuned standard (now its tuned BEADF#B) and put a lighter gauge.

Did the math and the results are that string tension will be about the same as it is now, but the force will be smaller, so that I had to loosen the truss rod.

Something is wrong here. Tension is a force, so if your total string tension before and after are the same, the neck should have the same force on it. The same should be true of the trem springs. Either you're talking about tension in some manner that i'm not understanding properly, or you did the maths wrong somewhere.
Quote by Mad_BOB
Something is wrong here. Tension is a force, so if your total string tension before and after are the same, the neck should have the same force on it. The same should be true of the trem springs. Either you're talking about tension in some manner that i'm not understanding properly, or you did the maths wrong somewhere.

Thats my main concern. Because actually tension is not a force, is a force/area [Pa] (a language problem??), so if the tension is about the same the force would be smaller because of the smaller gauge

EDIT:

Ok, now I think I understand. Tension in english is force[N]!! I always thought that tension was another word for stress. Besides, stress is spanish is tensión WTF!!

Anyways looks like I wont have to adjust anything on my guitar after all...
Last edited by bazuriya at Jan 21, 2009,
That's pressure you're refering too. Tension isn't normally used to refer to negative pressure like that in english, and is usually viewed as the pulling force exerted by the string, measured in newtons. If the system is in equilibrium, it must be the same as the force pulling on the string.

Really, you should just try it. Putting lighter guage strings on in higher tunings will balance out at some combination, but it's probably quicker and easier to test it than to try and calculate it. Worst that will happen is a tiny bit of neck bow - and you can always adjust for that by changing guage again, or in worst case, a little truss rod adjustment.

Edit: that's cool, you learn something new every day i guess (-: