Hi everyone... I can't think of a better way to introduce myself than to drop some links to my one-of-a-kind Fred Carlson "Oracle" Harp Sympitar in action here. This instrument, in case you've never seen it, is dedicated to Michael Hedges.

Jeff Titus & Michael Manring playing Chava's Song (Michael Hedges) live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjFOTwr4Uo&fmt=18

Jeff Titus & Gregg Miner playing Wood Dragon (original) live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbS1gwj3j5w&feature=related&fmt=18

Jeff Titus playing Chava's Song (M. Hedges) at home, solo arrangement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBKKRBc9avA&fmt=18

Enjoy and I hope I can post more focused information here on this forum over the years. Feel free to ask any harp guitar or questions about fingerstyle!

Best wishes -J
i love these things my guitar teacher has like 10 of them and he let me play one of them. they are truly a beautiful instrument. they are really expensive though
Chava's Song is quite a dark and beautiful composition. Great stuff! I wish I could get my hands on a Harp guitar just to try, but I fear I wouldn't be able to play it well anyway. I have enough trouble with 6 strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by TropicalBlend
i love these things my guitar teacher has like 10 of them and he let me play one of them. they are truly a beautiful instrument. they are really expensive though

Just to make sure it's clear what's different about my harp guitar... mine's a harp sympitar, the first of its kind. 6 main strings, 6 sub-bass strings over the wood extension (so far like most harp guitars) and 12 sympathetic strings that travel over a jawari bridge inside the guitar (made of piezo material, so it's a pickup) and up through a graphite channel inside the neck up to the headstock. It's a custom-built instrument dedicated to Michael Hedges (you can see his spiral motif logo on the back and in front on the 12th fret) by Fred Carlson, the master luthier. (met him through Alex de Grassi)

You really should take a look at all Fred's amazing custom-built instruments. The Sympitar alone is one of the coolest things in wood and steel ever. Since my harp sympitar order, Fred ONLY builds harp sympitars!

Anyway, go to Fred's website to be blown-away - http://beyondthetrees.com/gallery.html
Quote by Acoustic_Drew
can tuning that baby sometimes get annoying? Hehe.

Yes, but only because it's hard to wait when you want to jam!

Actually, like any instrument... after you become more familiar with the particular details involved in tuning it can go rather quickly. The good news is that once the Oracle is in tune, it holds it very well and I rarely have to spend a lot of time tweaking and re-tuning everything unless (as I do) I change tunings for a new piece.

-J
Quote by captivate
Chava's Song is quite a dark and beautiful composition. Great stuff! I wish I could get my hands on a Harp guitar just to try, but I fear I wouldn't be able to play it well anyway. I have enough trouble with 6 strings.

Personally, I had never touched a harp guitar prior to receiving my custom instrument back in 02. The fact that I took bass guitar fairly seriously at one point was a great lead-in to working with sub bass strings. String stopping techniques, use of various tunings, etc. help quite a bit with definition in the lower register. The long pedaling notes can be used for great dynamic expression.

Tap notes / touch style appears quite native to the sustain, construction and accessibility of a harp guitar. With the added depth of sympathetic string waves behind each tone (as planned or discovered) it's easy to great creative in a hurry.

I think, like any distinct instrumental configuration of strings, harp guitar has its own challenges. It inspires unique technique approaches and it requires that you apply yourself to it for some time in study of the many capabilities available.