I've been looking into a new amp recently, but not really a marshall,because i've heard they dont have enough gain for my music style. to be honest slash is probably the biggest reason i havent been looking at them, i dont really like his tone

(I play modern hard rock/alternative metal. Think chevelle sevendust tool)

i have an oppertunity to get a JCM 900 halfstack for $600

first, can a JCM 900 work for me?

second is $600 a good deal for the halfstack?

lastly, can it clean alright?
i have the high gain dual reverb and it has plenty of gain for what i need. that's about what i paid for my halfstack its pretty good for a marshall tube amp. cleans are nice too. defiantly not the best marshall out there but worth the money imo. u still need to be able to crank it to get that true tube sound and u really can't do that with a halfstack.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Look into used Mesas or other high-gain 6L6 based amps, Marshall isn't really your zone from the bands you listed.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
here we go:
1. budget (is that the top, or can you go farther)
2. do you need a lot volume?

alright, its a modernly voiced amp, so that will work well for you
it has great cleans, really great cleans for a marshall

does that include the head and a cab? (probably a 1960a?)

and yes even if it is for just the head that is a decent deal, if its the head and the cab than buy it, even if you don't like it you could turn around and sell it for 1000 plus

I don't know chevelle, sevendust, or tool really, but i do know that it is modernly voiced, and has a lot of gain on tap, so i assume it would work great for alternative metal
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Doodleface
Look into used Mesas or other high-gain 6L6 based amps, Marshall isn't really your zone from the bands you listed.

you realize that the jcm 900 is a 6L6 based high gain amp right?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
that amp will work well for what you want, and $600 is a steal for that half-stack.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by acdclandon

you realize that the jcm 900 is a 6L6 based high gain amp right?

well technicly it`s not a 6L6 if it`s a earlyer model, mines a EL 34, but they are high gain....

No $600 is a horrible deal, now tell me where this amp is so i can buy it LOL

My JCM 900 4500 1/2 stack in total cost me $1400

my 900 does Thrash so i`m sure it`ll do chevelle. i boost mine a bit with a MXR 108 10 band EQ. i`m now running a EMG loaded guitar with the PA 2 gain booster, so i`m running extreme high gain now, but the amp itself will do high gain but not to the point of death metal. but it`s not hard to get it to that point., i LOVE my JCM 900 and i highly recommed it to just about anyone.
Quote by Slayerdeath
well technicly it`s not a 6L6 if it`s a earlyer model, mines a EL 34, but they are high gain....

No $600 is a horrible deal, now tell me where this amp is so i can buy it LOL

My JCM 900 4500 1/2 stack in total cost me $1400

my 900 does Thrash so i`m sure it`ll do chevelle. i boost mine a bit with a MXR 108 10 band EQ. i`m now running a EMG loaded guitar with the PA 2 gain booster, so i`m running extreme high gain now, but the amp itself will do high gain but not to the point of death metal. but it`s not hard to get it to that point., i LOVE my JCM 900 and i highly recommed it to just about anyone.

yeah but in all about 75 percent or more of the models you run into are originally 6L6, people do change the tubes though

wait, if you want higher gain (and i'm assuming more headroom) why don't you put in 6L6's?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
yeah but in all about 75 percent or more of the models you run into are originally 6L6, people do change the tubes though

wait, if you want higher gain (and i'm assuming more headroom) why don't you put in 6L6's?

LOL trust me you`d sh*t your pants if you heard the gain i`m pulling out of my 900, with my EQ and my guitar, it`s just crazy, to the point that i`ve dailed my gain back to about 1/2 just because i pretty much have a O/D pedal built into my guitar with the PA2 20db gain booster. and with the EMG`s, my amp could do cannibal Corpse.

BUT i am going to be looking into trading my 4500 for a 4100 100 watt JCM 900 with 6L6`s. i`m not sure if i want to though, because A, my 900 is my 1st REAL amp, B, i LOVE my amp and C, it`s a 1st year 900 (1990) so it`s more desirable. oh and i had a local amp builder tell me that my 900 is one of the best he`s ever heard he told me never to get rid of it.
I've got a 1990 4100 (when they came with el-34s). Haven't seen any from this year for sale online, but the ones from the mid-90s seem to be going for less and less. If it's truly the half stack for $600 I'd do it in a heartbeat. You can sell the 4x12 alone for $450 if its in good shape.

I can get Undertow/Aenima Tool like crunch from the 900 no problem. The secret is an EQ pedal in the FX loop. However, these amps and cabs don't really like drop-d and drop-c tunings. Also, you couldn't pull a Jambi-esque tone from this amp. Its voicing is more Rage/Soundgarden.
'68 RI LP Custom
'90 JCM900 4100 + EQ & Boost
$600 is a crazy good deal for a 900 stack! But it's probably not the best amp for the kind of tone you seem to be after.

I say pick it up anyway, and if you don't like it, you could definitely sell it for more than that.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I really like the JCM900.

Imo, it would be cool for those kind of sounds, won't be right on as it's going to be a different voicing, but at least you will be making your own sound instead of trying to sound like someone else. With a boost, you could get some pretty sweet saturated rhythms too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com