Here's a problem I've been having on and off when i've been playing electric guitars. When i'm plugged in, and I put my left hand on the strings (without fretting) and I slide up and down the neck, I get this weird echoy-slidey sound from the amp. I haven't experimented with it enough to find out what the cause of it is, but sometimes I have it with different guitars and amps, sometimes I don't. Does anyone know what the cause/ cure is to thins problem? I will be getting my first electric guitar and amp by the end of February, and this is one of the main things I am trying to avoid, it is annoying as hell.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.

EDIT: But seriously, play guitar for a month, then ask... The "echoy" part is either an amp effect, or ur not exactly aware of what fapping ur fretboard sounds like.
Last edited by Hell_Metalist at Jan 20, 2009,
Was it the amp's reverb? Maybe the trem springs vibrating (if they had any)?

EDIT: Nvm, i just read it closer... Yeah pickups will pick up a lot of extraneous sound that the guitar makes from the body vibrating when something hits it, etc.
Did those amps have Delay on them?
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by Hell_Metalist

EDIT: But seriously, play guitar for a month, then ask... The "echoy" part is either an amp effect, or ur not exactly aware of what fapping ur fretboard sounds like.

String make that sound when you slide your fingers across them. Fret notes if you don't like that sound. Also, turn OFF your Reverb/Echo/Delay and turn down your Gain/volume.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
are you used to playing acoustic? just guessing from the way you put it as "first electric". if so its just that youre not used to the compression of the sound of an electric vs an acoustic. electrics when plugged in will give much more audible string noise especially when playes with a high distortion setting on the amp. amplifying the instrument levels off the dynamic range of the volume so quieter string sounds will be louder and big right hand input like banging at open chords wont sound as loud compared to normal picking. if youre used to acoustic playing you will have to take time to learn how to accurately control the unwanted input (especially left hand playing) that you might not even notice while strumming on an acoustic.
Well, does anybody have a SOLUTION to it, if any?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't drag your fingers across the strings

BESIDES this.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Not really. If you slide your fingers along the strings it will cause a sound that will get picked up. No way around it.
Quote by cohen5250
BESIDES this.

No.

dragging your fingers around makes that sound...if you don't like that sound then stop doing it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
first off, it is a bit of a learning curve getting used to unwanted noises coming out of an electric. i am assuming you have your gain on 11, if so turn it down, the more gain you have the more string noise you get. also, does your amp have modulation and delay effects (modulation = chorus, flanger, phaser etc), if so turn them off. finally, you do not need reverb on ten, turn it down, i personally have my reverb between 3 and 6.

that should solve your problem.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by cohen5250
Well, does anybody have a SOLUTION to it, if any?

Stop sliding your left hand on the strings without fretting them.

amirite?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top