I posted this in my sam ash post but no one answered and I'm assuming it's because it was mislabeled. I was just too lazy to make a new thread on a similiar subject. Anyways, I have a dilemma. I want to possibly get an aguilar 4x12. or really any other 4x12 setup that i find that i like. I'm just looking at aguilar right now. I've noticed that if you buy a single 4x12 it is cheaper than buying two seperate 2x12s. Example: Aguilar 4x12 $1200, Aguilar 2x12 of same model line $750. So two =1500. That's a hefty difference. But, a 4x12 is rather large and heavy so 2 2x12s would be much easier to transport. Also, for smaller gigs there's no reason to take a huge 4x12 cabinet. Thus, 2 2x12s makes sense in that I can only take what's needed. And with the 2 2x12s i could just get one now, and add another later. I would then be running a 2x12 4x10 setup for a while if I did this which would be fine. Who knows, I might decide to stick with that.

So I ask thee, O patrons o' UG, which would you do? And which one is probably the smarter path to take?in your opinion.

EDIT: should've made a poll but now that i'm editing can't figure out how. i never do them.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jan 20, 2009,
in my own opinion since you already have the 4x10, i think you should just get the 2x12 first and if you find you need the other one than add it on.

i myself was using just a 1x18 which was really just muddy, but i added a 2x12 and now am really happy with the tones im getting as i have the highs and lows covered now. you didnt really ask what i have but maybe it applies in some way.
Last edited by suggy88 at Jan 20, 2009,
Do you really need all of that volume?
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
I have 2 4x10s now actually. I find that I like the sound of 12s much better. I run a tube amp so i get the same wattage whatever impedance I'm at. Different speakers and # of speakers will make a volume difference though.

I do see what you're saying in that I could gradually add and see if i like it with the 4x10. I'll put your vote down as that. thank you.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by thedarkest5432
Do you really need all of that volume?

Sometimes. yes. We are somewhat of a party band and get pretty loud. Wouldn't NEED all of it except for outside gigs. I do not like running my bass through the PA. I'd rather give all the headroom to the drums, singer, and guitars. mostly drums. This is a big reason I feel that 2 2x12s would be better because our practice space is on the second floor so for every gig I'd have to take the rig up and down stairs. If it weren't for the price difference I'd just get 2 2x12s no questions asked.

EDIT: oops sorry for double post.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Jan 21, 2009,
Depends. You have a tube amp, so wattage won't be a problem, but impedance may. If the 212's are 8-ohm, and the 412 is too, then you'll get 4-ohms from the 212's and 8(duh) from the 412. Depending on what impedance your amp can handle, the 212's may not leave room for another cab if you need the extra volume.

On the other hand, two 212's compared to a similarly-constructed 412 are going to be louder due to the increased volume of air available to the speakers, and also much more portable.
Nope, no sig here.
Well the 4x12 will naturally be way more middy than 2 2x12's. Other wise i would get the 2x12's. All aguilars seem very middy, so its something youll have to live with.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
It depends, if the 4x12 is neodymium speakers then it's still in the running. If it's not I would throw it out completely and just get the two 2x12s. A 4x12 will be a BITCH to carry if it's not Neo equipped and that alone makes it not worth it in my mind.
You hit it on the head. The advantages to having 2 212s is worth the difference in price.

I like my 212 because I can carry it in one hand and my SWR in the other hand. I can literally take my entire gear loadout out of a truck in 2 trips.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ok i'm gonna look for the 2x12 this weekend. just wanted to thank you guys. the 4x12 is 112lbs while the 2x12 is 70.

the 4x12 has tilt back wheels but that doesn't help with stairs.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
stairs are easy with big refrigerator cabs.

take it out of the vehicle, roll it to the stairs, then get around behind it, grab the bar @ the top, and just slide it up.

most refrigerator cabs have the grab bar on the top/back, and they have little bars to keep the tolex from directly rubbing against he steps.

i love my 8x10, i just need a new head.

and i have my eye on the Carvin B1200 or w/e. mmm yumm.