hey guys

just wondering which pickups are better for metal in your opinion.

i tried out two shecter c-1 hellraisers at a music store, one in a V shape with emg 81tw/89 pickups, the other an rg with emg 81/85 pickups

to me the 81/85s sounded quite alot better and that they had more gain, but im not sure if it was just a one off bad 81tw/89? as ive been told they are supposed to sound the same.

The 81tw/89's are coil splitting, and the 81/85's are not.

please offer your opinions...

EMG 81/85'S OR EMG 81TW/89'S FOR METAL.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I'm a fan of versatility, so I would go with the 81TW/89. Also keep in mind that the woods are different. The Schecter was probably mahogany and the RG was probably basswood. I know 89s an 85s sound different. 81s and the 81TWs are supposed to be the same.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm a fan of versatility, so I would go with the 81TW/89. Also keep in mind that the woods are different. The Schecter was probably mahogany and the RG was probably basswood. I know 89s an 85s sound different. 81s and the 81TWs are supposed to be the same.

they were both hellraisers... one in a v shape, and one in an rg shape.
Quote by Mad Marius
I'd say do some research on the metal sound that you want. If you're trying to find what your favorite metal guitarists are using then check it out. Also your amp is going to have alot to do with the sound too. I'd say go to a shop and check out combinations of guitars and amps to find your sound. :p
bump
Quote by Mad Marius
81tw /89 much more versatile but more expensive. (worth the money imo)
Quote by Tempoe
81tw /89 much more versatile but more expensive. (worth the money imo)

they are both the same price.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SOADriff
they are both the same price.

usually the 81tw is about $35 more than the 81, I'd go for the tw, sounds sweet as single.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by Tempoe
usually the 81tw is about $35 more than the 81, I'd go for the tw, sounds sweet as single.

i would never use it in single coil mode. plus i thought it sounded muddy.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SOADriff
i would never use it in single coil mode. plus i thought it sounded muddy.

then get the 81....even if it sounds identical...why ask about an 81tw if you never want to use it as a single, are u a retard?
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 27, 2009,