Im looking for a third electric to add to the arsenal. i have a modded ibanez semi hollow and a mexican fat strat and im looking for something thats more hard rock/metal. an SG looks to fit the bill nicely. obviously the gibson would be better quality in every department. however, with the money saved by getting the epiphone i could afford to put premium pickups, electronics, and tuners on it and have the fretboard/trussrod/neck/action worked over as extensively as needed by a very good leuthier for optimal everything and still spend less than the standard SG. so basically, how would the gibson stand up to a professionally finished and fully custom upgraded epiphone?
It would be put to shame..
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Marijuana makes everything better. Everything.

Quote by TooFast
Yeah. Nazi's FTW.
id still spring for the gibson because the body and neck material will probably hold up better
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
without knowing what exactly you would do to this epi, i will give you my opinion.
1) you could potentially make the epi very nice and a great guitar to own
2) i highly doubt that all the mods you are talking about would cost less then just buying a gibson
3) even with all of those mods, the gibson would still be made of better wood and be made with better worksmanship. both will affect tone.

i'm not saying epi's are bad by any means, but it seems like you are looking to spend a ton of money, so why not start off with a very well made guitar and then gradually upgrade that if you feel the need?
If you have the resources (i.e. shops) available to you to go and try out lots of Gibsons then I would say that is the way to go - when you do find a good Gibson, no Epi is going to beat it no matter how much you modify and upgrade.

The problem is Gibson's quality control is atrocious. You could easily try out 20+ Gibson SGs and still not find a good one. On the other hand you can pick up just a couple of Epiphones and you'll find one which is acceptable in a quarter of the time. This is especially important if you don't have enough stores near you stocking lots of Gibsons or if you're looking at buying online.

The other advantage of course is you could get the Epi sounding pretty much however you wanted, whereas with the Gibson you'd be blowing all/most of your money right away just on the basic article and if you decided the pickups weren't right for you or the tuners need changing to locking ones or whatever, you'd be more or less stuffed. Not to mention changing anything from stock on a Gibson kills it's resale value immediately, whereas you can change nearly everything on an Epi and though it'll never be worth a fortune, it's resale value won't really go any further down than if you kept it stock, so you're not really losing out.

If you're in a position to try tons of Gibsons out then go at least try some, but otherwise getting an Epi and upgrading is a wiser choice.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Go with the Gibson. The Gibson will have a better tone because it has a better wood, a better finish, and a better construction. The Epi is also neck heavy. You'll end up spending about the same, but the Gibson will have twice as much resale value no matter what you do. A premium upgrade will probably play better than the gibson, maybe even sound better. But resale value will be crap. I have a G-400 with 2 dirty fingers, and no one will buy it for more than $400 (with extras) even though it's one of the sickest sounding guitars. The pickups alone were $240. I originally paid $400 for it. The resale for Epis really suck. No modern G-400 will ever be worth anything in the future. But that Gibson might be. You can always upgrade the Gibson, and then you'll have an amazing guitar. An upgraded Epi just isn't a Gibson.
I guess it comes down to what you want. As others have said you get better resell value with the Gibson. A used Gibson would be even better value if the price was right. The G400 will never be worth more than a the price a new G400 sells for and more than likely much less. You could spend money on the G400 and have an excelent guitar play it for a few years. If you decide to sell the G400 you can remove the upgraded hardware and sell it stock for the current used market value. You can then sell the hardware separately it you don't need it.
Personally I would look for a nice used SG or one that is on sale if you can find one.
I have a Gibson V (stock except tuners) and a customized Epiphone Explorer and I can tell you an upgraded Epi can play and sound great but resale value is not very good. A Gibson will have better resale value but if you mod it then that hurts it's value. As far as the wood goes different woods will sound brighter or darker not really better because not everyone wants the same tone. I have a friend that has had an Epiphone SG (customized with Gibson pickups) for several years. He finally bought a Gibson SG about a year ago (with the same pickups he put in his Epi) and the Gibson has a brighter tone than the Epi but he likes the Epi's tone better. Better wood does effect tone but it can effect it in a way you don't like. It depends on what you want really. As far as quality goes both Gibson and Epiphone are hit and miss. So play alot of guitars and buy the one you like best and customize it suit your needs.
It costs alot to upgrade an epi. Ive been doing mods to my epi black beauty, both cosmetic and electronic wise. So far ive put burstbucker pros in the neck and bridge (planning to also put a gibson in the middle pup), added strap locks (duh), and put a gold bigsby tailpiece on it. So far ive spent around 800 bucks on a guitar i spent 600 on...and im still planning to do more mods...im gonna replace the pup switch to suit the bb more, change the pots, and also get rid of the speed knobs with nickel headed top-hats (i hate speed knobs). So yeah i probably couldve bought a cheap gibson with the money ive put into it
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
QC on recent Gibsons has been crap.

Quote by Pac_man0123
The Gibson will have better wood (real mahogany instead of an asian relative wood like Nato) and you can get that and save up to upgrade it later if you need to.

If they were Nato wood, they would have to say so...

Epiphone stock pick-ups suck, but other then that there's very little that needs upgraded on a G-400. My G-400 is the nicest feeling guitar I own, I used to have an 80s American Kramer, I preferred how the G-400 felt, and couldn't notice any significant difference in quality.

Gibsons will maintain their value, or go up, especially in the long term, especially if left stock. If you're planning on doing upgrades, the Epi can't lose resale value by adding aftermarket parts, however you're unlikely to recover the whole value of any upgrades.

All I've done to my G-400 were put in EMGs and swapped the top-hats for speed knobs that much better suit it's aesthetics.

I'd say try a bunch of both, and pic a winner.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jan 21, 2009,
My recommendation is to look for a used Gibson SG Standard.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
^ second that
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by STABxYOU

If they were Nato wood, they would have to say so...

I can't confirm the G400 uses it, but the low and mid ranged Epi LPs use it. They add an African mahogany veneer over it, or at least they used to. Head over to the Epiphone forums if you don't believe it.
if you go used you can save a lot of cash on either the gibson or the epi. and idk why people are saying that all those mods would cost more than an sg standard...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
I can't confirm the G400 uses it, but the low and mid ranged Epi LPs use it. They add an African mahogany veneer over it, or at least they used to. Head over to the Epiphone forums if you don't believe it.

He's talking about a G-400, not a low end Les Paul. High end Epis (like the G-400) are mahogany. If we were talking about Les Paul Special IIs we could mention plywood, but it's totally irrelevant to the actual topic, G-400s.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I think g-400s arent real mahogany, thats what they were trying to say...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by STABxYOU
He's talking about a G-400, not a low end Les Paul. High end Epis (like the G-400) are mahogany. If we were talking about Les Paul Special IIs we could mention plywood, but it's totally irrelevant to the actual topic, G-400s.

How is the G400 high end? It's in the same price range as the Les Paul Standard which uses nato wood and Epiphone clearly gets away with calling it mahogany which they can. I haven't bothered to check if the G400 uses it but I would have a hard time believing they don't do the same thing for the G400 which as I mentioned is in the same price range as a Les Paul Standard, in fact I think it's much cheaper.
Quote by prsrulz91
id still spring for the gibson because the body and neck material will probably hold up better

Mahogany is pretty much mahogany. The U.S. model might have a slightly higher grade of it...but is that really worth almost $700 U.S. more? I don't think so.

Beyond that the only difference these days is not coming with a hardshell case, and different pickups (mind you the vintage epi alnico's sound really nice).

I'd vote for the epi, then you've got enough to spring for a really nice tube amp to improve your tone much more than just a really expensive guitar.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Demon_dave
Mahogany is pretty much mahogany. The U.S. model might have a slightly higher grade of it...but is that really worth almost $700 U.S. more? I don't think so.

Beyond that the only difference these days is not coming with a hardshell case, and different pickups (mind you the vintage epi alnico's sound really nice).

I'd vote for the epi, then you've got enough to spring for a really nice tube amp to improve your tone much more than just a really expensive guitar.

No it's not. Your opinion though.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
How is the G400 high end? It's in the same price range as the Les Paul Standard which uses nato wood and Epiphone clearly gets away with calling it mahogany which they can. I haven't bothered to check if the G400 uses it but I would have a hard time believing they don't do the same thing for the G400 which as I mentioned is in the same price range as a Les Paul Standard, in fact I think it's much cheaper.

Gibson SGs are cheaper then Les Pauls too.

It's high end because it's the nicest one they offer, short of the Elitists.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!