Page 1 of 2
Hey...In the future...Far future i am gonna be buying a few guitars now just like every guitar the is a floyd rose and non floyd rose version.Well...If you have floyd rse do you regret paying the extra $$$ for it? I mean divebombs are great and everything but...How many can you really do before its another thing? I mean im not dissing FR at all.But What are the main uses of them besides they stay in tune and divebombs? Are they worth it? Do you think every guitarist should have atleast one guitar in their collection that has FR? Thanks...Just trying to be safe ya know? Thanks
I dont regret mine at all I have wished it wasnt there before but then I remember the awesome tuning stability it gives me and i forget hating it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
really it just comes down to if you want to change tunings alot. its relly not that hard to change the strings and the tuning stability is just great.
Yeah make sure you want to play in one tuning most of the time thats the major con on the floyd systems is that its a bitch to change tuning
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
I'm curious about this too. Is it worth the pain in the ass it seems to be to change strings, make adjustments, etc.?
Terrible even.
Quote by Bad Technique
I'm curious about this too. Is it worth the pain in the ass it seems to be to change strings, make adjustments, etc.?

Yeah I think so for the added tuning stability of the system. Its not a pain to change strings it just takes a little more effort than a hardtail.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
it took me alittle over a year to get used to mine, and dont even think about changing tunings to not gonna happen.
You have to weigh the benefits against the costs:

Benefits (Generally speaking, assuming the tremolo is good quality etc.)

-Good tuning stability in most cases
-Awesome whammy tricks (dives, squeals, quavers, flutters and whatnot)
-Chicks dig Floyd Roses

Costs

-Takes longer to restring, intonate, and set up (generally speaking)
-Bit of a learning curve (pertaining to general use and maintenance)
-Changing tunings can be a bit of a process, but gets easier with repetition, like anything else.

That's about it, without going into specifics. If you think you can deal with the drawbacks, go for the Floyd. If the "costs" seem like too much of a pain, don't bother.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I think its worth it. all good guitarist should have at least one guitar with a fr. I have been able to change between drop d and standard on mine without having to push the bridge up via screws in the back of the guitar so if you set it up well you can get away with that. Honestly, i think there great for accenting notes (not just dive bombs). You can always just push down on the bridge to get a subtle rise in the note instead of just bending, and I personally love to use it to get a wild vibrato (just have to mute out the stings your not using). Really there is a whole lot you can do with one, you just have to get creative which makes it a lot more fun.
I never regret it and will have one on all my guitars from now on. I have a flip down blocker I made for drop tunings and keep the back plate on with velcro.
Never regret it, love it, don't want a guitar without it but its gotta be flush mounted, hate floating Floyds
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i hate my floyd rose, but mine never worked well, it would lose tuning after about 3 dive bombs. so i took the screws off and its much easier to tune now when the fine tuners run out of space and you have to unscrew it all... omg i hate my floyd so much, its just in the way now
I have a floyd rose, and it's just awesome. Sometimes i wanna play in drop tunings and i really wish it wasn't there, but i managed to get a guitar with a tune o matic bridge so i'm okay now. Yeah every guitarist should have a guitar with and a guitar without a floyd rose in my opinion.
Quote by Tempoe
I never regret it and will have one on all my guitars from now on. I have a flip down blocker I made for drop tunings and keep the back plate on with velcro.

flip down blocker? i want one! where'd you get it?
I've got 1 guitar with a bad FR (TRSII, yucky... the thing that holds the trem arm in actually snapped off) and 2 with good FR's (2 guitars I've made with Ibanez original edge's).
The experience I had with the TRSII was alright, I played it for about 2 months before it broke... It wasn't too stable in tuning.
But when I did the trial runs of my guitars the Edge could withstand divebombs, 2 full tone pull ups and lots of whammy-bar-wankery and still be in pretty much perfect tune.

Just make sure you get a good one, otherwise you'll end up spending more time setting the bloody thing up and tuning it than playing it!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
I got one guitar with a FR and one without, and to be frank, i wish the other one was a hardtail too. The FR is too much of a hasle, and i realy dont use it enough to justify that.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The only regret I have is not using it more really... nice piece of hardware, but I find myself needing to event uses for it to justify having it on there.
you know, i bought a jackson soloist with a real floyd rose and i thought i would really like it, but to be honest im not really that impressed. its such a pain to change the strings and to change anything for that matter. its ok, but the next guitar im buying, im making a definate point of not getting a tremolo.
I never found it to really be a pain in the ass, but I much prefer a hardtail.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Hmm ok. It seems you either really love it or really hate it. I think i will have one guitar in my collection that has FR. Sometimes you just want that versatility ya know?
For 6 strings, if you multiple guitars sure, it's great. For 7 strings I find them to be a big pain. Way too much trouble to get it stable and in tune.

Ibanez Edge Pro ftw. Stays in tune much better than the floyds I've used. Floats much smoother too.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MetalMilitia212
YES. It's a gimmick that's cool for like 2 months, then you hate it.

Sir I dont believe staying in tune for weeks at a time is a gimmick Through all the whammying it still comes back into tune most of the time.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Sir I dont believe staying in tune for weeks at a time is a gimmick Through all the whammying it still comes back into tune most of the time.

A good set of locking tuners does the same thing. And really, is it such a hassle to adjust a knob in between songs?
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
A good set of locking tuners does the same thing. And really, is it such a hassle to adjust a knob in between songs?

Meh not really I guess im just a trem guitar person always have been. Like everything else you start to get good at it with some practice I can tune mine via machineheads in under 10 minutes now when it used to take me 20.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Hardtail + Locking tuners is much more stable than a locking system. The locking system's advantages as far as tuning goes is how much more precise you can tune.

The fine tuners are in the area of 1/40-65. You can get 100% dead on with the tuning. However, a hardtail, say a graphite nut and locking tuners will stay in the same tuning without deviating much much longer than a tremolo...but you can't dive.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Hardtail + Locking tuners is much more stable than a locking system. The locking system's advantages as far as tuning goes is how much more precise you can tune.

The fine tuners are in the area of 1/40-65. You can get 100% dead on with the tuning. However, a hardtail, say a graphite nut and locking tuners will stay in the same tuning without deviating much much longer than a tremolo...but you can't dive.

You can but problem is its not gonna stay there with the locking system most of the time especially if you bend alot. But the difference in the tuning is so small that you cant really hear it unless you have super ears or something I can only tell by checking my korg.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You can but problem is its not gonna stay there with the locking system most of the time especially if you bend alot. But the difference in the tuning is so small that you cant really hear it unless you have super ears or something I can only tell by checking my korg.

Depends what you're playing and how you're checking it. If you do the 5-7 fret harmonics I can distinguish when a string is in or out of tune. Not to mention, when I put a new set of strings on one of my Gibsons, I put the strings on, tighten em, stretch em, then tune them. I retune after about 3 weeks. I find myself retuning my locking tremolos every few days depending on how much I use the trem.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Depends what you're playing and how you're checking it. If you do the 5-7 fret harmonics I can distinguish when a string is in or out of tune. Not to mention, when I put a new set of strings on one of my Gibsons, I put the strings on, tighten em, stretch em, then tune them. I retune after about 3 weeks. I find myself retuning my locking tremolos every few days depending on how much I use the trem.

Agreed mine does go out of tune occasionaly with bends but It isnt audible to anyones ear I have had several people at both guitar stores and friends try it out and all said they couldnt hear a difference in tuning.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Agreed mine does go out of tune occasionaly with bends but It isnt audible to anyones ear I have had several people at both guitar stores and friends try it out and all said they couldnt hear a difference in tuning.

I should have mentioned I'm talking about a floating system. That makes all the difference.

A flush mount or fixed locking tremolo has the best tuning precision, stability can be argued to a point. My RG2228 has the fixed locking tremolo, that guitar is tuned during a string change and thats about all.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I should have mentioned I'm talking about a floating system. That makes all the difference.

A flush mount or fixed locking tremolo has the best tuning precision, stability can be argued to a point. My RG2228 has the fixed locking tremolo, that guitar is tuned during a string change and thats about all.

ah ic yeah that makes a big difference my floating system goes out of tune with bends but only 1/100th of a cent my luthier said so like i said its not even audible to most people. Its gotten better since I got new strings too they bend alot easier too.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Yeah, the problem with floating trems is that if one string deviates the other 5 go in the opposite direction. I find myself turning the spring holding screws in the back like 1/8th turns just because if you're not precise the plate will pull foward or lean back...

I might be trying too hard to make it perfect... i dunno

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
My 3 sound sticks:

Old Aria acoustic (inherited, circa 1972)
HSS Strat Custom
Schecter Damien FR

I have to say the FR is great for metal, considering you can really punish your guitar. When I feel bluesy, I go to the HSS. When I write, with the exception of metal songs, I use the Aria.

Conclusion: If all I had was FR axe I'd go f-in' insane, but its great to have as an option.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I'm considering it. I'm so freaking undecided. I have a whammy on my strat, and never really used it until recently. I'm starting to use it a little more and stuff. When I went to my guitar shop last week, I kinda considered a guitar with a Floyd Rose on it. I saw the G-400, started having second thoughts, saw the high price tags on Epi LPs (which still somehow makes me mad), then, there was a Washburn WM24V. I thought it was interesting so I picked it up. I liked it. I thought the Floyd Rose would be a pain though. I normally change from Drop D to Standard pretty often, so I don't know if the EVH D-Tuna would be good or not, or how easy it would be by just down-tuning to D standard and use the fine-tuners.
And I heard something about Slinkys not being good with Floyds?
UG's AC/DC Lover
Well Im looking at a hellraiser avenger and its hardtail and has schecter locking tuners with seems much more simple : DDD
Quote by yoyodunno
I slightly regret it, I just prefer fixed bridges in general for tone, and being able to drop tune easily.

Same here, I just sold my ESP because the Floyd was starting to get on my nerves...and I just got my Strat for Christmas.
Every floyd Ive had has F*cked up so I personally dont like them. If you're going to get a guitar with a floyd, make sure its an OFR or one of the good Ibanez ones like the Edge or ZR. Id take a hard tail and locking tuners any day though.
Page 1 of 2