So we just found out our dog might have heartworms. From what ive read its not a good thing to have. We suspect its from the recent increase in Mosquitos in the area.

I really cant bare the thought of losing him. Hes been with us for almost 4yrs now. But this time during Xmas last year, we had some ppl staying with us who didnt like the dogs in the house. But they are house dogs. So we suspect thats how he got it..

Its really really heartbreaking and i dont know what to do. Were taking for an Xray and some bloodtest in an hour, hes got an appointment.

I woke up this morning thinking JD might not be around with us someday and I just broke into tears, and im the kinda guy that NEVER tears for anything. But i felt this headache sorta thing and suddenly tears just fell out..

Anyone have any experience with your dog and heartworms? is it something you can cure? I just really need to hear some good news..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Urgh..I hate to think of the day my cat dies.....

Just be super nice to him and give him the medical attention he needs without being miserly about the vet bills.
Im doing the best i can spending all my time with him. I just had a bath and stopped to check out UG for a bit... This sucks big time..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Send a letter to Hugh Laurie, he'll find a cure after berating Kumar and making racist remarks to some black dude.

EDIT: Reading up on heartworms, I realise how insensetive I was, to be fair I was struggling for humour. For what it's worth, I'm sorry your dog was diagnosed with that crap. During the summer, our dog we had for 16 years (2 years younger than me and like three months older than my little brother) was dying of kidney failure. Sad times man , remember the good times you had with him.
Last edited by st.stephen at Jan 21, 2009,
Well, I guess the only thing to do is be optimistic and hope for the best.
I've not done much research at all on heartworms so I can't really help you about knowing if it can be cured.
I'd say be extra nice to him, and hope for the best, that's what I would do.
I'm sorry man, I know how you feel, my dog's gotten slipped discs before and my family's not really the greatest financially at the moment, and we wouldn't have been able to pay for surgery, so it was nervewracking thinking of what might have happened.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Our dog did have heartworms for a while, but with enough treatment he was able to get over it, and he's now been with us almost seven years.

I can't bear the thought of losing him either.

Good luck, man.
i had a dog that had them the vet just gave us some tablets to feed her twice a day for something like 6 weeks, from what i remember they were expensive as hell but she was cleared up after the 3 weeks and perfectly healthy.

Now you got me thinking about her and i miss her she got run over last year
Never heard of heartworms before, but I'm sorry to hear that your dog has it. I hope it all works out for you and your dog.
Damn that sucks dude my dad's boxer died from that.

I'm sorry that doesn't exactly make you feel any better does it? I'll pray for him.
Quote by st.stephen
Send a letter to Hugh Laurie, he'll find a cure after berating Kumar and making racist remarks to some black dude.

No, lately ol' Hugh has been giving thirteen a lot of shiit, ever since she got caught having a lesbian one night stand in that one episode. He even hired her back under the false pretense that she "did good work," just to rag on her until her system fails under the effects of Huntington's disease.
Quote by gucio93
Well, I guess the only thing to do is be optimistic and hope for the best.
I've not done much research at all on heartworms so I can't really help you about knowing if it can be cured.
I'd say be extra nice to him, and hope for the best, that's what I would do.
I'm sorry man, I know how you feel, my dog's gotten slipped discs before and my family's not really the greatest financially at the moment, and we wouldn't have been able to pay for surgery, so it was nervewracking thinking of what might have happened.

Yea, sorry to hear that bro.. But yea, were not doing great financially either. Luckily its pay day today for my mom. So thats a great thing..

Anyways, im off to spend more time with him.. See ya'll later guys..
Quote by InvaderTSN
Get some heartbirds.

/terrible joke

But yeah, heartworms are treatable. Just spend all the time you can with him now before you lose him.

he must be heartsick

/even worse joke
Quote by skaterskagg1
looks like you're gonna have to kill it.

Big wonder your roommates don't like you.

Anyways TS, that's awful, hopefully they'll treat it and he'll be ok. I don't even want to think about the day my dog goes. Luckily she's always been healthy, even if she's kinda fat at the moment.
Heartworm is easily preventable. Why your dog wasn't on HeartGuard or IverGuard in the first place is beyond me. Not to lecture you or your family, but it's ridiculously irresponsible to not have your dog on preventative medication.

By the way, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartworm#Treatment
Quote by skaterskagg1

Get off of UG.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Heartworm is easily preventable. Why your dog wasn't on HeartGuard or IverGuard in the first place is beyond me. Not to lecture you or your family, but it's ridiculously irresponsible to not have your dog on preventative medication.

That's completely true, but not really what he wants to hear right now.

I don't know much about heartworm, we don't get it over here due to lack of mosquitoes and stuff. Even my textbooks barely mention it.
I've just read up on it on Wiki though, doesn't sound too nice.

Is the vet going to try any treatment on the heartworm?? It looks like surgical methods can possibly be tried, even if the heart is greatly affected, although I don't know how likely they'd be to try that/how expensive it would be.
It also looks like it could possibly be treated by using ivermectin-based heartworm preventive products to get rid of the immature worms, and then a drug called melarsomine dihydrochloride to kill the adult worms, although I don't know how expensive that would be to use....

For now though, the best thing you can do until you find out what stage he's at, and what the next best step is, is keep your dog comfortable and warm, give him lots of attention and love

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Last edited by pInK_eLePhAnT at Jan 21, 2009,
when a pet dies you get over it after about a day or two, then you buy another one, it sucks that its a dog thats dieing i prefer them over cats
Quote by hb15577
when a pet dies you get over it after about a day or two, then you buy another one, it sucks that its a dog thats dieing i prefer them over cats

It depends how close you are to the animal. If that animal is a central part to the person's day, then it's going to take a lot longer. There's the 5 stages of grief to go through, and that can take a long time.

How can you say that it's worse that it's a cat dying than a dog?! That's a terrible thing to say.
That's horrible

I hope the best for your dog (because let's face it, dog's are freakin' loveable) and you should spent tons of time with him/her.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
i thought i had a trivium related joke then, but it wasnt anything to do with anything....

dude that sucks good luck to you and JD. hoping for the best.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Last edited by elliott FTW at Jan 21, 2009,
Well, at least it's something you can cure.

If your dog ends up having heart-worms, hopefully he'll pull through if he gets treatment.
Quote by skaterskagg1

that wasnt even remotely tasteful, just get off UG now..

and omg D: i dont want to ever think about the day my cat dies

i hope sir doggy gets through it OK D:
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
you've got it diagnosed so he/she should be ok. as long as medication is administered you should be ok

EDIT: it can be cured btw they use a form of arsenic that just affects the worms don't worry dude most people only know their pet has them when the pet dies. This is the case when a diagnosis isn't made
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Last edited by Andy2k64 at Jan 21, 2009,