My question is... could you buy one of the medium range epiphone les pauls and upgrade it with parts and electronics into a much better guitar?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar.gc?src=les+paul&o=1

I was thinking of getting the epiphone les paul studio, which looks something like:

And transform it into:

I'd love to turn it into an adam jones silverburst. But I'm not sure if it would actually be worth it in the end.

Should I do this upgrade? Or should I just build one from a block of wood from scratch?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Do one from scratch. You'll learn heaps and you can say that you build it yourself, not just upgraded one.
I would actually prefer to MAKE it.

But in all honesty I live in an apartment and its hard to find a space with tools to do it with.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Seeing as wood has a seemingly large effect on the sound, I'm not quite sure.
You will get some improvements by switching out some of the hardware, but you won't get a 100% of Adam's Silverburst.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
you couldn't get exactly the same, but you could get really really close
The cheap one there doesn't have an arched top like the one you're wanting it to be like.

Just so you know
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
buy an Epi Les Paul with a carved top and the trapezoid inlays. Then if you want to (epiphones hardwares pretty good i think) you can replace the hardware, The tuners, tailpiece, bridge etc. Then replace the pickups with what ever silver burst guy has. Replace the nut if you wanna be exact. Then (with everything taken off the guitar) sand it down and paint it silverburst. Replace the binding.
The only difference now is that your guitar doesn't have the Gibson logo, headstock and is not made as well as a true Gibson.

Good luck
Quote by guitarcam123
...and is not made as well as a true Gibson.

i beg to differ.

epiphones are made very well. the only hardware bits you might want to swap are the pickups and the nut. everything else is good quality and swapping it will waste money you can spend on your cosmetic changes.
Thank you please.
umm the Epi studio does have a carved top, although if you want the block inlays get an Epi standard. Or you could just buy the Epiphone Silverburst Les Paul....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-104065958-i1168180.gc
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by WH15P3R
The cheap one there doesn't have an arched top like the one you're wanting it to be like.

Just so you know

Ummm...
Quote by Detais On GuitarCenter.com
...and mahogany body with carved top...

The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
search on ebay for inlay stickers and you can find blocks or trapazoids for the fretboard. they just stick on
Quote by savage94
search on ebay for inlay stickers and you can find blocks or trapazoids for the fretboard. they just stick on

no you route the little place for the inlays. They are not stickers and stickers will wear down/ come off and then leave residue on your fretboard. Don't get stickers TS
it's easy to tell if a Les Paul has a carved top if it has a pick guard. the only flat top Les Paul with a pick guard is the Junior, and they're easy to see as they only have one pickup.
settled. i'm building one.

Just not today, but someday soon, and I'd think UG would help me.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
yes,we need more builds on here i'll gladly answer any questions you have to the best of my ability
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.