And I'm not exaggerating when I say that. I really, really can't tune. I don't have a tuner so I know I just sound like a noob right now but tuning just doesn't make sense to me. When I try to tune standard, i try to follow the "make the same sound as the string below on the 5th fret" technique but that doesn't even make sense! How can it make the same sound when the string is thinner/thicker? I doesn't make sense to me. and I tried an online tuner that plays the sample of what the string should sound like but being the deaf person that I am, I don't even know which way to tune! I know if it's lower or higher but I can't get the same sound. I'M DEAF!!!

Will a good tuner solve all my problems or am I hopeless?
When you fret the 5th note it makes the same note as the above on the open string, bar the 5th string which has a kink in the tuning to fit.
buy a tuner > problem solved..
almost everybody uses a tuner
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Definitely purchase a tuner, a lot of people find it hard but you will eventually get it. I never had a tuner so I was forced to learn by ear. Try searching google for a free online guitar tuner, that will help a lot as you'll hear with note the string should be tuned to and you can match it.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Jan 21, 2009,
To this day after 3 years everytime I tune it by ear i'm slightly flat I have to tune to what I think is standard then go a bit more over to compensate.
I'm going to say what everyone else has been saying, buy a tuner. It will really help you out.
Get a tuner - they are pretty cheap, and they tell you if the note is sharp or flat, so if you can't tell by ear yet it doesn't matter.
That's for all the feedback everybody. I'm definitely picking up a tuner next time I get to the music shop. Any tips on what type of tuner. Again, I don't have much knowledge on them, so good tips would be appreciated

I have another question regarding Drop C. Isn't it supposed to be a lower tuning? Because when I'm reading how to tune Drop C on the internet, it always says to "tune it down" and stuff. However, when I follow the rules, it actually leads be to tighten the string, and the entire tuning is higher than standard if you ask me. Same thing Drop D. Is standard the lowest tuning or am I just doing it wrong...
Quote by larrytheguitar
That's for all the feedback everybody. I'm definitely picking up a tuner next time I get to the music shop. Any tips on what type of tuner. Again, I don't have much knowledge on them, so good tips would be appreciated

I have another question regarding Drop C. Isn't it supposed to be a lower tuning? Because when I'm reading how to tune Drop C on the internet, it always says to "tune it down" and stuff. However, when I follow the rules, it actually leads be to tighten the string, and the entire tuning is higher than standard if you ask me. Same thing Drop D. Is standard the lowest tuning or am I just doing it wrong...

You are probably reading which string is which wrong. Try inverting what you're reading
Quote by Stentroll
Are you out of your mind?!

Whale. Nothing goes on my sammich unless it's whale. Fun fact you should learn about me.
If your guitar is in E standard, to get to drop D you tune down your E string down to D (two frets worth, so your bottom string should be the same note on the seventh fret now whereas it used to be the 5th).

When your in D, same goes for getting Drop C etc.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Jan 21, 2009,
if u have a keyboard, u can always tune off that

but yea, i would advise buying a tuner
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
I would advise a chromatic tuner, rather than the standard cheapo type with only lights.

On a chromatic, you get a little screen - like that on a digital watch, but bigger - and there's a needle going from the bottom. The note that you're tuning appears - so as you tune up, it goes from A to A#, B, C, C#, D, D#... you get the picture.

When the pitch goes up, the needle moves across the screen from left to right - and once it gets to the right, it comes to the next note. Once the correct note name appears, you just tune it until the needle is pointing straight up. Very easy to use, and I'd definitely recommend it.
Heh, I usually just enter a single note in Guitar Pro, and tune by ear after that. Though I've been playing for around eleven years now, so I guess I should be able to do that...
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by nugiboy
just do a barrel roll..

lol

Just use a tuner dude
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Farether
buy a tuner > problem solved..
almost everybody uses a tuner

... I think you mean =
Gear:

Epiphone 1966 Ltd. SG
Epiphone SG G-400 (RIP)
Yamaha C310P
Kustom Quad DFX100
Roland Microcube (... I use it as an ipod speaker now XD)
Boss Ns-2 Noise suppressor
Boss Md-2 Mega distortion
Boss Dn-2 Dyna Drive
Vox V847 Wah