Bad title, sorry ^^

Was just wondering if it's ok to take off all the strings, clean the neck but then not put the strings on for a day, would that hurt the neck or something?

Also, lemon oil, how do I use this? Just put some on some cloth thingy and wipe the neck?
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
What kinda fretboard? And yea, I wipe it on, then wipe it off, if its a rosewood board I mean.
Fingerboard is rosewood yeah.

What about the strings question?
should be OK, you could use it as an excuse to set it up again if it's needing it.
quick question, where do you buy lemon oil from? i have a maple neck by the way
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
quick question, where do you buy lemon oil from? i have a maple neck by the way

chemist / supermarket cleaning section
Quote by jimRH7
should be OK, you could use it as an excuse to set it up again if it's needing it.

Was that directed to my leaving the neck "naked" for a day question?
If so, I didn't understand exactly what you meant ^^
Quote by Mr_Pleb_Mgoo
chemist / supermarket cleaning section

Or a music store?
Quote by BroDD
Bad title, sorry ^^

Was just wondering if it's ok to take off all the strings, clean the neck but then not put the strings on for a day, would that hurt the neck or something?

Also, lemon oil, how do I use this? Just put some on some cloth thingy and wipe the neck?

It is perfectly safe to take the strings off, the neck may take a day or two of playing to settle in again so don't mess with the action too soon.

Regarding Lemon Oil, use it as a cleaning agent and wipe off any excess.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by BroDD
Was that directed to my leaving the neck "naked" for a day question?
If so, I didn't understand exactly what you meant ^^

yes. I kept the stings off my bass for about 2-3weeks the last time I was doing up my bass and it didn't do any harm. try and avoid extremes of pressure and humidity if possible while the strings are off, but don't worry too much about that. as long as it's in eg: your bedroom, you should be fine.

"set up" means getting the action and intonation right, it basically consists of turning the little screws in the bridge and trail and error.

(EDIT: post above - you are right It might take time to settle down. if I remember correctly I set mine up (because the way it was was horrendous) and kind of fine-tuned it about a week later, but I don't think you'll have this if they're off for one day)
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 21, 2009,
You don't need to oil maple fretboards. I'm surprised no one has said this yet.
Quote by Pastorius
You don't need to oil maple fretboards. I'm surprised no one has said this yet.

My first thoughts when jst reading this thread. There's a big notice on my bottle of lemon oil that it is *ahem*

NOT TO BE USED ON MAPLE FRETBOARDS

in big letters.

Simply a good wiping will suffice. And there is no detrimental effect of taking strings off, even for years and years. All that will happen is that the neck will exhibit some backbow.
sorry after reading the bass faq it says beeswax, can i get that from a supermarket? im just askin becuase i dont want to walk in there and ask for it and look like a jackass :P:
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Sonsie--look in the household cleaning supplies section. Its a fairly common furniture wax; I'd be surprised if they didn't carry it.
Well, I use bore oil, but you should be fine with lemon aswell. I just think it feels kinda girly when your bass smells off lemon.

It seems that lemon oil is the most popular, and I guess that's for a reason.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Quote by BroDD
Or a music store?

personally never seen lemon oil at a music store, just overpriced 'cleaning' ****.