i was woken this morning by a knock at the. When i opened the door i saw 2 boxes and man with a clipboard. After signing for the box i proceeded to practically tear them open and inside i found A HARTKE LH500 and HARTKE VX4X10

in all it's glory

controls L-R: passive input, active input, volume, bright switch (under the flash), EQ bass middle and treble, Limiter switch, DI out, Power switch

the cab, all shiney and new

this amp is fantastic, i've had it 5 minutes and already i've found my usual tone on it. It's so transparent that you can actually hear the sound of your bass through it, i've never had an amp like that before. It's quite a modern sounding amp but not a clinically clean modern tone, it has a nice growl to the tone because of the class A valve preamp. This thing blows the HA3500 i tried right out of the water. And to top it all off volume, it has **** loads of it. 350 watts at 8 ohms, i'm never gonna need to make a full stack.

Fender coming soon
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
nice (H)
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Nice, man, how growly, dirty can you actually get it, and how does it pair with the vx. Nice setup.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
it pairs up beautifully with the VX, it doesn't get dirty, the tube adds warmth and a slight growl, it doesn't properly dirty
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Very very nice. Congrats! Now go and play some Stu Hamm and make us all quite jealous!
Well growlys good, i see your boosting your eq a bit.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Well growlys good, i see your boosting your eq a bit.

the EQ only boosts, it doesn't cut but it boosts from nothing so the higher you set the EQ the louder it is and if you set the EQ to zero you get no sound. It's odd because what you do on one band affects what how the other band react and sound. It takes some getting used to but it's a system that works. One thing that bugs me is you can't set the EQ perfectly flat. If you set it flat you get a built in frequency curve that is supposed to be a signature hartke tone.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think the eq is passive, from what i hear, or a bit of is anyway. If you have questions, give larry hartke a ring i look up the number if you want it.
I have decide by the end of this week an ashdown mag 600 or one of these baby's. un less ican find an ampeg pro and a peavey 1500 for less then 400.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i completely 100% maybe more prefer this to a MAG600. The MAG colours your tone too much for my tastes, it makes it sound like someones playing an ashdown. Whereas with the LH500 it sounds like you are playing your bass with your tone.

i'd give larry a ring but i don't think i can afford international calls although i do really want to thank him for making such a fantastic amp at such a great price aswell
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Eithier way, i probably get a sansamp to run through the fx loop to help me get my growl. But this does look really nice. Was it a p-bass you ordered aswell, its gona sound sweet me reckons.
Now back to many hours of thinking and no playing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
no it was a jazz bass i ordered, i very much dislike p basses, the tone is too thumpy and they feel odd to me, like the neck is too big and body is too small
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Ok sorry, yep im on the jazz boat as well.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
im guessing 229 for the head and something else for the cab
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
£260 for the head and £220 for the cab (rough figures)
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Dude nice!

I'm rockin the HA2500 and that Cab. so, You've basically wiped the confidence in my amp away.

how does the three band EQ hold up? do you think it would benefit from a graphic EQ?

I'm much to used to a graphic EQ I might get a bit frustrated at only having three knobs.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
i don't really think it would benefit tonally from a graphic EQ, obviously a graphic EQ would make it more versatile but to be honest i don't miss using a graphic EQ, i'm more than happy to just have 3 bands. I find graphic EQs too fiddly, you can get the same sort of tonal shapes from a 3 band EQ with much less work. the only difference being you have more scope to work with them on a graphic EQ. If you're very very fussy about having exact control over your frequencies it's not the amp for you but i love the simplicity of a 3 band EQ.

when you have that much control over you have more chance of making ugly tones, the simpler the setup the easier it is for it to sound beautiful
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by ZaccB
Ugly... or unique?

i suppose that depends on your perspective. personally though of an EQ with every band above 100hz cut isn't a nice prospect tonally
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Sweet amp man. I wish I had one. Which Jazz Bass did you order?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
2009 MIM standard in black with a maple fretboard
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Looks great! I hope you'll have pics of the jazz too Where did you get them from for such a low price?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Great stuff, I so nearly bought a Hartke head (I found they sounded a little compressed though) and I still may invest in one of their cabs.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by fleajr_1412
Looks great! I hope you'll have pics of the jazz too Where did you get them from for such a low price?

GAK, for some reason they jacked up the price of the HA series but didn't touch the LH series.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
GAK, for some reason they jacked up the price of the HA series but didn't touch the LH series.

GAK's been messing up their prices loads recently, constantly upping and then cutting prices.
I assume it's to do with most manafactures upping prices because of the downturn. But from what I know, most of them are not upping the trade price anywhere near as much as the retail so price. So maybe GAK are trying to work out discounts.

Anyway, nice rig. Although my new EBS TD650 head is coming tomorrow. So expect a superior thread then
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
GAK's been messing up their prices loads recently, constantly upping and then cutting prices.
I assume it's to do with most manafactures upping prices because of the downturn. But from what I know, most of them are not upping the trade price anywhere near as much as the retail so price. So maybe GAK are trying to work out discounts.

Anyway, nice rig. Although my new EBS TD650 head is coming tomorrow. So expect a superior thread then

i looked into an EBS rig but theres no way i'm selling my car to buy a rig that i won't be able to transport anywhere because i won't have a car. I do like EBS though, I demand soundclips.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
i looked into an EBS rig but theres no way i'm selling my car to buy a rig that i won't be able to transport anywhere because i won't have a car. I do like EBS though, I demand soundclips.

I figure i'll get the insane purchases out of the way before I get a car.

Hell, my current gear together is probably worth more than what my first car will be.

After the head comes the bergantino cab, but that'll be in a while.
I'll record clips incredibly unproffessinally on my laptop mic but it'll give a vauge idea.

In the meanwhile, weep at a comparison between markbass and the EBS model head under my new one.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IhA7BuTgYWk
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2