Hi, I've owned a '61 reissue SG ('88) for a few years. The entire time I've had it the G and B strings go out of tune after a solo, the G almost half a step down and the B just slightly flat. I'm not sure if its the way I'm stringing it or if it needs to be set up. I bought it second hand, and it was relatively cheap, just wondering if the tuners might need to be replaced and if that would fix the problem.
The stock klusen tuners on Gibsons aren't the greatest. But that being said I have very little problems with mine.

Are you doing the over-under method when you restring? I'd try that if your not. And if that doesn't work I'd replace the tuners.

Youtube and UG have great videos on how to restring properly. Try them before and see if you're doing it correctly. Before you replace the tuners. But then again a new set of locking tuners never hurts.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Also just wanted to double check, the guitar was cheap, but not quite suspiciously cheap, does anyone know if fake '61s even exist? It has a gibson case, and there's nothing I can see to suggest its a copy, I've just always wondered due to the price I paid for it.
Yes fake 61s will exist call gibson and have them check the serial number or go to www.guitardaterproject.org and start there with a serial number check. And if you have a way to post here. There are lots of discriminating eyeballs who will help figure it out.

Good luck.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Well, the serial # checks out at least. Made in 1988 at the Nashville plant. Maybe I really did just get a good deal on it.
I love a good deal. I live on craigslist looking for things that are cheaper than they should be.

I just picked up a origional digitech whammy wh-1 last week for $100.00. I really didn't need it. I just know what they sell for on fleabay. I got 3 days left on it and I'm up to $305.00 as of this morning.

Does your 61 have a trem on it? Love the ones with the trem.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Jan 21, 2009,
Nah, no trem. In australia those wh-1s go for almost $1000AUD. I'm still searching for even a wh-4 for less than $250, not having much luck so far.
99.99% of tuning problems simply come down to you not restringing the guitar correctly. Go check up videos and so forth to make sure you're restrining the guitar correctly, or if in doubt take the guitar to a professional luthier for a full setup so you can be sure it's not something simple like incorrect restringing or a bit of dust in the nut.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.