Hi UG,

I'm looking to buy a PRS guitar; I play a lot of rock/metal music so I need some advise on which one to try and go for please .

I'm gonna say max budget AROUND £1000 for now, as I have until June to save, and my birthday is on the 2nd of that month, so yea.

I especially love good, crunchy rock tones and also achieving good metal tones. I've got a Fender tube amp at the moment which is serving me pretty well, so which PRS would suit my preferences?

Thanks!
i wish i had the money for a prs...but im ok with schecters for now. hope you get it theyre sick
either way its bad - i dont know animals
My advice would be not to buy a PRS.

Don't get me wrong, they're great guitars, but there are a lot of guitars out there which are just as good but cost way less. They're just too overpriced for my liking.
Thanks for the replies guys

Weybl, any ideas what else I could get mate?
For that money you will have enough for a CE22/24/Mira and i have to say that metal is not the CE22s forte by a long way, sounds awesome for everything upto a hard rock tho, it will do metal but not as well as say a ESP or a Jackson. Id be surprised if you get a metal tone outta a CE22 and any fender amp.

Id be tempted with getting a more metal amp like a rev jr or even a nice preamp like the E530 Engl to run into the loop on the fender and say a micheal kelly hex. That should be just shy of a grand.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Weybl Himself
My advice would be not to buy a PRS.

Don't get me wrong, they're great guitars, but there are a lot of guitars out there which are just as good but cost way less. They're just too overpriced for my liking.

They are not overpriced.

They have great sustain good variety of tones, good playability and they have a very good build quality.

There are cheaper guitar's that sound good, but this guitar will be just as playable in 20 years from now.

Gibson's can be overpriced. Their quality is by far not as stable. I played a few Gibsons with flaws.

And PRs can do metal.

Opeth plays PRS lol. This guitar can definitely do metal.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by BlackMist
Thanks for the replies guys

Weybl, any ideas what else I could get mate?

As someone above said, Schecter make some nice machines which could cover your tones well. Some of the non-EMG ESP guitars are also really nice pieces of work. With the ESPs though make sure they're made in Japan EPSs, not the LTD models. Those 2 brands are probably the best bang for your buck guitars I've found. Great tone, great playability and if you want, you can drop some nice replacement pickups in there and get a PRS tone for nowhere near the cost of a PRS.
Quote by Weybl Himself
As someone above said, Schecter make some nice machines which could cover your tones well. Some of the non-EMG ESP guitars are also really nice pieces of work. With the ESPs though make sure they're made in Japan EPSs, not the LTD models. Those 2 brands are probably the best bang for your buck guitars I've found. Great tone, great playability and if you want, you can drop some nice replacement pickups in there and get a PRS tone for nowhere near the cost of a PRS.

Sorry man but iv never heard anything but a PRS get a PRS tone. Plus call me a snob but the only LTD id buy is a highend one and for the amount they cost id want ESP on the headstock, Id have to go for a full on ESP.

As for Schecter, its not really an option in the UK as distribution sucks and the only models we get are either old as hell or way overpriced.

Does anyone know what pickups Opeth are using? I'd be surprised if they were stock.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Last edited by halikus at Jan 21, 2009,
PRS can't do heavy metal tones?;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7zCUtx3g7E

PRS can do anything. They are very expensive, but they are so nicely built.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by halikus
Sorry man but iv never heard anything but a PRS get a PRS tone. Plus call me a snob but the only LTD id buy is a highend one and for the amount they cost id want ESP on the headstock, Id have to go for a full on ESP.

For the record, I did say not to get an LTD.

Also, obviously it's just my opinion on the PRS thing, but I've heard Les Pauls, ESPs, Matons and even some modified Schecters pull tones well and truly on par with any PRS I've played.

I'm not denying that they're great guitars, I just think the cost far outweighs the tone.
I think I know what PRS can and cant do well since iv had one for 6 years now....

Im not saying they cannot play metal music its just they dont do it particularly well, certainly not as well as other styles. Im sure a pickup swap would sort that but then you sacrifice all the versatility you bought a PRS for in the first place.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Just don't get an SE.

That **** ain't worth the wood it's made from.

I do agree that you can get something just as good for alot cheaper from a different company though.

For the cost of a PRS you could get a good Ibanez (Overplayed i know...) and a good amp.

Just make sure you play as many as you can at your local guitar shop, so you can decide which is the one for you.
Hey,

I would recommend going for the PRS CE24 (if you're sticking with PRS idea) as it's the one that's gonna give you the best in terms of rock and metal tones (but as has been pointed out, they're not going to be outstanding).....However, I do have two other pieces of advice, firstly, I'm assuming as it's going to be your birthday present you can't wait, but the problem with the economy at the moment means that all US brands (PRS, Gibson, etc.) are now costing more over here as the pound becomes worth less compared to the dollar. And secondly, if you can, I would try and save up/give towards it for a Custom 24, I got one recently and it's the best sounding and playing guitar I've ever heard, it's amazing!

Taking that into consideration, apart from the PRS, I would look at the ESP Horizon series, very good for metal and will come in at about your budget.....There's probably some Jacksons worth looking at too, but I don't know much about them so I'll leave that to someone else!
Last edited by idiotbox919 at Jan 21, 2009,
Thanks so much for all your help guys, I'll definatley pay attention to what you all said and take a look at those guitars.

Keep it coming!
i would reccomend a custom 24. i have a custom 22 and i can say that it can easily do metal. it has far more balls than my ibz rg thanks to its mahogany body and neck. the pickups roughly as hot. ive never thought that uber hot pickups sounded that good anyways.

the 24 would probably suit you better if you are into the heavier side of music. i feel that the 22 is more of an all rounder despite the fact that both the 22 and 24 are very versitile.
I can't believe you're going spend all that money on a guitar. What do your band mates play and what have they said?
Quote by Free
I can't believe you're going spend all that money on a guitar. What do your band mates play and what have they said?

I'm not in a band; but playing guitar is an utmost passion to me and I want a guitar that I can play for years to come without losing any quality.

What's wrong with that? I thought all guitarists understood that guitars were special?
Quote by BlackMist
I'm not in a band; but playing guitar is an utmost passion to me and I want a guitar that I can play for years to come without losing any quality.

What's wrong with that? I thought all guitarists understood that guitars were special?

Understand that the poster of that is a moron.

Go for the PRS. You will be happy with it, and it will be a lifelong pal.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
I'd go for the prs se custom 22 or 24. Two of my friends have an SE custom 22, and for £350, I doubt you'll find a better guitar for the price. and with a pickup swap you'll be able to get those metal tones your after. Plus, you'll have money for a great amp. And 80% of the tone comes from the amp.

You could spend £1000's on a great guitar, but if you have a shxtty amp, it'll be worthless. But if you dish out on a great amp, then even a strat copy will sound great.