I just found this taylor online

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-210E-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514896

and am amazing it is somewhat in my budget, I'm just about $50 shy but this does not include tax or shipping.

I'm just wondering if these guitars are really any good... part of what i'm after is tone and playability but i'd also really like a guitar that sounds good on stage and one i can plug in directly to record with, AND one with pickups that will pickup a good slap, and i've heard these taylor's can do that.

the picture of the electrics look very good, looks like it has a transducer under the saddle, then on on the top itself which looks ideal for picking up the drum-like slaps i wanna hear a and a magnetic pickup near the neck. Am i correct in assuming this is what i see?

My main concerns are the playability of this guitar. i wish i could save up 250-300 more to get one of the 1000$ taylor, breedlove, or martin guitars but i'm stuck in the 600-700 budget, but i have a $150 gift card to musician's friend.

I was originally thinking of getting something like a good sounding takamine from guitar center for around 600 and then using the $150 gift card for the case. but i've really wanted a taylor for awhile now, partially due to their excellent sound plugged in.

Edit- And what about this 110ce http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-100-Series-110CE-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514494

Does it really have a laminate top????

the 210e has a hard shell case - which is a big turn on for me - even if it doesn't have a cutaway - which i realized i hardly every use
Last edited by redking14ca at Jan 21, 2009,
Is it a good guitar? Yes, it's a well built guitar
Is it overpriced? Yes.

My friend has a 214ce. His is nothing to write home about =S It lacks all tonal complexity. You should definitely try it out before you buy.

As for the playability... Taylors always play very smoothly. Most people will like the feel of a Taylor.

In regards to the electronics, it should be two transducers. One at the neck and one undersaddle. I'm not 100% sure though. Can someone else verify this?

There aren't any $1000 Taylors unless you buy used. The 300 series, which is the next series up, costs about $1500+. You can probably buy used for $1000 though.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
try not to buy anything under $1000 from those high end companies.

meaning, anything less than the 3xx series isnt worth your money for the value
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by captivate
Is it a good guitar? Yes, it's a well built guitar
Is it overpriced? Yes.

My friend has a 214ce. His is nothing to write home about =S It lacks all tonal complexity. You should definitely try it out before you buy.

As for the playability... Taylors always play very smoothly. Most people will like the feel of a Taylor.

In regards to the electronics, it should be two transducers. One at the neck and one undersaddle. I'm not 100% sure though. Can someone else verify this?

There aren't any $1000 Taylors unless you buy used. The 300 series, which is the next series up, costs about $1500+. You can probably buy used for $1000 though.

But what about plugged in? Don't they all have those 2 transducer's and the magnetic pickup?

the ES-T?

Quote by about
try not to buy anything under $1000 from those high end companies.

meaning, anything less than the 3xx series isnt worth your money for the value

what would you suggest? I was going to go to guitar center to try out tak's but then i read how they have a huge amount of lacquer which reduces tone drastically.
Last edited by redking14ca at Jan 21, 2009,
any of the higher end taylors are fine...

i hate takamines, they dont do it for me. the tone is too dull and lacks character. to be honest, every takamine i've picked up sounded the same as the next.

I feel yamaha's are a better option over takamine when in the lower price range.

seagulls/alvarez in the mid price range.

and everything in the higher end beats out takamines.

really it's my opinion, i just don't like takamines.

edit: there's also a small acoustic store near my house in non college-ville called the music emporium. they sell a ton of taylors and martins, as well as blueridge and larrivee. they also sell many custom made guitars (those are expensive, upward 10 grand).

save custom made, the guitars they sell are all very expected price ranges, such as about $1000 for a new taylor 3dn
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Jan 21, 2009,
"Taylor's entry-level guitars; 100-series guitars are made in Taylor's Tecate, Mexico plant while the 200-series are made in the United States." - wikipedia

So i guess the 200's are made with indian rosewood laminate back and sides and the 100's are made with "sapele" laminate. the 100's have a varnish finish while the 200's have satin and gloss.

If it's laminate does it really matter whether it's Indian rosewood or any other nationality?