I recently bought an ibanez S5470 prestige, and i am looking to put new pickups in it. I am reasonably sure that it needs an f-spaced pup in the bridge, but I'm not sure about the neck...

Im probably going to put in a Dimarzio D-sonic, and air norton, with either a chopper of fast track 1 in the middle.

any oppinions on this in an S?
how big is the current pickup from the centre of each outer pole piece to the other.

if it's 51mm it's f spaced if it's 48mm it's not.

I'd assume you need an f spaced pickup as the nut is 43mm.

Quote by dimarzio FAQ
How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.

so you know that it's not just me spouting crap.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jan 21, 2009,
so they measure about 52mm for the bridge pickup and 50mm for the neck...

so im thinking F-spaced bridge, and regular neck, Yes?
I wouldn't.

it's better to have the outer strings within the pole pieces rather than outside.

too big is better than too small. I'd go with an F spaced neck pickup aswell.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
ok i guess that makes sense...

Does anyone have any experience changing the pickups in an ibanez S?
same guitar here. i modified it around april-may last year with dimarzio evolutions and hs-2 (jem copy). i'd suggest pickups with slightly lower output because for better tone i'd rely more on amp power instead of PU power.
i swapped the bridge with f-spaced but just for confirmation ask dimarzio's tech support directly. they reply fast every time i ask.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by necrophilic
same guitar here. i modified it around april-may last year with dimarzio evolutions and hs-2 (jem copy). i'd suggest pickups with slightly lower output because for better tone i'd rely more on amp power instead of PU power.
i swapped the bridge with f-spaced but just for confirmation ask dimarzio's tech support directly. they reply fast every time i ask.

what about the neck? how do they line up?
I'm not completly sure but I thought I read somewhere that the HGD2 bridge pup in the S5470 was modeled off the D Sonic. I think you should consider if spending $100 for the little difference the actual D Sonic would give you is worth it. You should at least switch the pickup so the bar magnet is closest to the bridge before coming to a decision.

I have a d sonic in my RG2550 running though a 6505 and I love it. Because I usually play in D standard and lower I installed it with the bar towards the bridge so that it's tight and clear which is perfect for what I play. I plan on upgrading to an Air Norton in the neck position soon.

EDIT: Wizard necks are 43mm at the nut so they are wide enough for a f space neck pick up. You can double check by measuring both neck and bridge pickups to see if theyre the same length. If the are then both are f spaced.
Last edited by Justin Credible at Jan 22, 2009,
i use standard on neck. no problem.
but you can use f-spaced neck PU if you want to play safe.
just ask dimarzio's tech support, they're great.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain