second hand shops usually have some little gems in.
also try googling it. a few online shops have a second hand/ex-demo section where you can pick up bargains.
Craigslist, if you are near a big city.

It's a mixed bag. You will see people trying to sell crap for high dollar, people asking reasonable prices, and occasionally people will need to sell guitars quick because they need to get some cash to cover some financial shortfall...(what musician hasn't had to offload some gear quick...I have...)

There are so many people who "wanted to learn how to play a guitar", plunked down the money, and the guitar ends up in a case in the bedroom closet. Then, a couple years later, out it comes for sale.

Retail store--usually can take it back, but you pay a higher retail price for the privilege.
E-bay--usually no refunds, you buy it you own it.
Pawn shop--usually no refunds, you buy it you own it.
Private seller--usually no refunds, you buy it you own it.

So, my choice is private seller. The end result is the same, but more opportunity to negotiate a better deal.

If you are going to buy off the secondary market, you should understand how to assess a guitar, or you can get screwed.

With a private seller, you can assess the guitar (check the neck set, twist, action, fret wear, bridge, saddle height, string break, sound, etc) can't do that with ebay.

Everybody thinks their guitar is perfect. Everybody is not a luthier, or guitar tech, so by default, everybody really is not qualified to assess their guitar. You need to be able to.

What does it mean if the area between the fretboard extension and body is opaque?
What does it mean if the saddle is low, and the action is high?
What does it mean if frets are sticking out the side of the fretboard?

All these are clues to the condition of the guitar. If you know how to interpret them, (and,relative to the age of the guitar), it will help you understand if the seller is representing the guitar accurately. Not that they are necessarily lying, they just may not know any better.

Can't do that on e-bay, a pawn shop won't care.

Once I point some of these things out to private sellers, they begin to understand that they need to adjust the sell price.

A seven hundred dollar guitar that needs two hundred dollars of fret work is not a seven hundred dollar guitar anymore.
I've got the government right where they want me.
Quote by fyrefly
Craigslist, if you are near a big city.

It's a mixed bag. You will see people trying to sell crap for high dollar, people asking reasonable prices, and occasionally people will need to sell guitars quick because they need to get some cash to cover some financial shortfall...(what musician hasn't had to offload some gear quick...I have...)

There are so many people who "wanted to learn how to play a guitar", plunked down the money, and the guitar ends up in a case in the bedroom closet. Then, a couple years later, out it comes for sale.

Retail store--usually can take it back, but you pay a higher retail price for the privilege.
E-bay--usually no refunds, you buy it you own it.
Pawn shop--usually no refunds, you buy it you own it.
Private seller--usually no refunds, you buy it you own it.

So, my choice is private seller. The end result is the same, but more opportunity to negotiate a better deal.

If you are going to buy off the secondary market, you should understand how to assess a guitar, or you can get screwed.

With a private seller, you can assess the guitar (check the neck set, twist, action, fret wear, bridge, saddle height, string break, sound, etc) can't do that with ebay.

Everybody thinks their guitar is perfect. Everybody is not a luthier, or guitar tech, so by default, everybody really is not qualified to assess their guitar. You need to be able to.

What does it mean if the area between the fretboard extension and body is opaque?
What does it mean if the saddle is low, and the action is high?
What does it mean if frets are sticking out the side of the fretboard?

All these are clues to the condition of the guitar. If you know how to interpret them, (and,relative to the age of the guitar), it will help you understand if the seller is representing the guitar accurately. Not that they are necessarily lying, they just may not know any better.

Can't do that on e-bay, a pawn shop won't care.

Once I point some of these things out to private sellers, they begin to understand that they need to adjust the sell price.

A seven hundred dollar guitar that needs two hundred dollars of fret work is not a seven hundred dollar guitar anymore.

do you live near sac-town? (Sacramento)

sounds like u could be helpful
www.kijiji.com or .ca in Canada.. tonnes of stuff there.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Quote by redking14ca
do you live near sac-town? (Sacramento)

sounds like u could be helpful

No, sorry, up by Seattle, WA
I've got the government right where they want me.