well,i want to buy a jem 7v,
i love vai and i think the guitar plays great
but is it worth its full extent in dollars/euro's?
apart from being a sig
can i get the same by using a prestige?

halp pleeze
i assume youre referring to ibanez?

the jem is only so much more expensive than the RG series or prestige because its signature and has funky tonally advanced pickups. ive played prestige, jems and i own an RG series, but i dont feel too much of a difference.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

people say you can buy an ibanez prestige guitar and install some evo's and it would be exactly like a jem, without the expensive price tag
i have an RG350DX with evo's, sounds the same, plays near enough the same, doesnt stay in tune as good and doesnt look as good. thats about it really
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
buying something like an rg1570 prestige and switching the pickups is probably the best bang for buck idea. though the basswood body probably doesn't sound exactly like the alder on the jem 7v, though plenty of the other jems are basswood. but yeah, that's the way to do it on the (relatively!) cheap and still have a really good pro quality guitar without skimping on quality.

if you're willing to go up to the price of the jem, see if you can find some j-customs. they're ibanezes built only for the japanese market, but sometimes you can get lucky and find them. if you ask me, they're nicer than jems for a similar price.

other thing is, at the price of the jems you have a lot of options- vigier, suhr, tyler, musicman, etc. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In my opinion- yes. It plays phenomenally. The best playing guitar i have EVER played. It sounds great and looks sexy to boot.

Although, if you are on a budget, you could modify a cheaper ibanez but imo it will never be the same.
You can get a whole heap of sounds with the pickups, its really is a versatile instrument and the neck is like butter, however the price is quite steep. I would probably go with something like a prestige, but hey thats just me.
I'd hunt down an older J Custom model in the 1500-1700 dollar price range before I'd buy a JEM.The people who say things like their low end indo or korean Ibanez sounds and plays like a JEM because they put evo pups in it don't know what they're talking about.If the big price tag is an issue I'd suggest getting a prestige or a J Custom on a sight like Ebay and swapping the pups for an evo set.You could also check the used market for a JEM and see if you can find one in good condition for a discount.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pac_man0123
^^ True, i've seen JEM7VWHs go used for anywhere from $1200-$1600.

Yup,the only ones that get really expensive on the used market are the anniversary models and the older swirl finish models that are big collectors items now.I'd personally rather go for a J Custom if I was in the market for a high end Ibanez since I'm not a huge fan of sig models, and the 2 J Customs I've had the luxury of playing were absolutely flawless tone machines.You can find both of them used for a pretty big discount,but if you buy a J new then shipping from Japan is steep.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i would say it was worth it more than it is now. now the higher end ibz rg prestige guitars have the same specs as a j custom which means that the jem has no real advantage over cheaper guitars.
Quote by no_thing101
i would say it was worth it more than it is now. now the higher end ibz rg prestige guitars have the same specs as a j custom which means that the jem has no real advantage over cheaper guitars.

JEM
Scale/Length-- 648mm/25.5"
a: Width at Nut-- 43mm
b: Width Last Fret-- 56mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret-- 19mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 21mm-- Radius 430

RGT320Z
a: Width at Nut-- 48mm
b: Width Last Fret-- 68mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 21mm-- Radius 430mm

Not a whole lot different but it's noticeable to the point where i prefer the JEM neck. And the JEM has the Ibanez JEM finish on the neck as well. Not to mention an alder body.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jan 21, 2009,
No. I know a musician who owns that, and he told me that an Ibanez Prestige with swapped pickups would be about the same.

IMO, if you're just a bedroom player, why bother with such a high end guitar? As long as you don't play through an MG or Spider or any other lousy amp, any medium range guitar would be good. I'd rather play a Squier through a Mesa Boogie than a Jem 7V through a Spider or MG.What amp are you using?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Pac_man0123
JEM

RGT320Z

Not a whole lot different but it's noticeable to the point where i prefer the JEM neck. And the JEM has the Ibanez JEM finish on the neck as well. Not to mention an alder body.

i know that the necks are different. the jem uses the same shape neck as the NON prestige RGs (wizard II). nothing wrong with that shape though. the new RGs on the other hand use the same neck as the J custom (super wizard).

i also think that the air norton/tone zone combo is more versitile than evos.
Quote by Pac_man0123
JEM

RGT320Z

The RGT has a different neck than regular RGs because it's a neck through. A regular RGs dimensions are much closer.

JEM 7V
Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
a: Width at Nut 43mm
b: Width Last Fret 56mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret 19mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 21mm
Radius 430

RG3550Z
Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
b: Width Last Fret 58mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret 17mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 19mm
Radius 430mm

But JEMs are sigs. They're designed specifically for Steve Vai. The neck dimension differences are not because they're better. The necks are different because that's what HE likes. Wizards, Wizard IIs, Superwizards and the original Wizard can be found on all of their Prestige Guitars. They also make subtle changes to the necks, which is why the Original Wizard neck is different than the Wizard neck we have today. JEMs probably won't change because that's what Vai likes. JEMs aren't different because they're better. When you buy a JEM, you're mainly paying for the fact that it's a sig. Change the pickups in an RG and it'll sound like a basswood JEM. But you can't do anything if you wanted alder. Who knows, Ibanez might start making alder RGs, they have mahogany RGs.
I love Jems too but i have often wondered what would be better value out of a Jem or a RGP-T

out of these two guitars which is more expensive? Surely the RGP-T is the better guitar? neck thru, newer bridge? I would imagine a RGP-T Would technically be a better guitar, but 1 day i will own a Jem just cos i love the looks of them
RG's & Mesa's
It depends which JEM you are talking about. The older discontinued ones (DY's, Florals, swirls, BSB's) are definitely worth it if you get one cheaper. The new ones arent as good as the older models IMO.
Blue Floral JEM ftw.

Great guitars, but nowhere near worth the money...the PGM just about manages to offer decent value for money for a sig model though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The JEM is in the price range of the USA made soloist, which is opposed to the JEM, NOT overpriced.
I too would buy a J-Custom over a JEM anyday. Jem's really are not worth alot more than what they are sold for second hand. So if you ask me: Yes, they are immensly overpriced. So if you have 2000$ or more to spend, please dont buy a JEM, unless you are in love with Vai and want to have everything about him like a stupid teenage girl rockstar fan.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^ +1, basically. of course, if it's worth it to you to have vai's name on it, then that's fair enough. but just be aware that you're paying a premium to have his signature guitar, coupled with a few of vai's idiosyncratic specifications/mods...

Quote by no_thing101

they might have the same specs, but (based on any high-end prestiges i've tried versus the j-customs i've tried) the j-customs were noticeably better. MIJ prestiges are "good" guitars- J customs are "great". They're more in line with things like vigier, tyler, suhr etc. the jems i've tried were kinda in-between prestige and j-custom...

Quote by Broken-pick

IMO, if you're just a bedroom player, why bother with such a high end guitar?

disagree, there's no problem in getting a high-end guitar if it's worth the money. i just personally don't think the jem is as you can get nicer guitars for either the same amount or less money...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 22, 2009,
Personally, I actually prefer my X50 Pro.
This is after playing two different JEM 7Vs.

So I wouldn't spend more than £300 on one.
Is it worth the money?
Well it depends what you think, some guitars can just take you, if you tried say, a few Prestige RGs, other higher end RGs (J-custom, sigs maybe) and a JEM, and the JEM took you more than a paedophile takes an unsupervised child then the JEM's the way to go.
However I see the older JEMs as the better options, I saw a JEM77BSB for £400 ($800) on ebay and nearly cried! (overexaggeration) That's a great deal for such a nice guitar.
But to answer your question, I'd say a new JEM ain't much worth it when you could get an old (possibly better looking (depending on your tastes)) one for cheaper.
No. It is a fantastic guitar. Unless you're rich get something else. You can get a badass guitar for $500. Use the two grand to travel Europe of something. If you gotta have it I understand. I have dropped mad stone on high priced equipment. It is a super guitar; but, it won't turn you into Steve Vai.
Quote by Dave_Mc
they might have the same specs, but (based on any high-end prestiges i've tried versus the j-customs i've tried) the j-customs were noticeably better. MIJ prestiges are "good" guitars- J customs are "great". They're more in line with things like vigier, tyler, suhr etc. the jems i've tried were kinda in-between prestige and j-custom...

were they the 2009 prestige guitars? also i know that there are other subtle differences like the neck joint, the inlays, binding and the ball ends on the frets ect. everything that actually matters however is the same. i do agree what you are saying though. i really wanna try suhr and vigier. i went to japan and found amazing stuff (eg walls of j customs) but what i missed was those two brands. for anyone who has been, ochanomizu pwnz.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Jan 23, 2009,
It IS overpriced (<- coming from a jem owner), there's no sense in getting a new one. Better get J-Custom, or used jem.
Last edited by r4ster at Jan 23, 2009,
Agree'd with the 'gull on the first page....

but seriously, the JEM 7V is like 2200€ right? thats 400 less than a PRS custom 24 birds...

I like ibanez, and I love JEMS, but for me the birds is in an entirely different league

...and yes, the PRS is also overpriced...
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
The RGT has a different neck than regular RGs because it's a neck through. A regular RGs dimensions are much closer.

JEM 7V
Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
b: Width Last Fret 56mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret 19mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 21mm
Radius 430

RG3550Z
Scale/Length 648mm/25.5"
b: Width Last Fret 58mm
c: Thickness 1st Fret 17mm
d: Thickness 12th Fret 19mm
Radius 430mm

But JEMs are sigs. They're designed specifically for Steve Vai. The neck dimension differences are not because they're better. The necks are different because that's what HE likes. Wizards, Wizard IIs, Superwizards and the original Wizard can be found on all of their Prestige Guitars. They also make subtle changes to the necks, which is why the Original Wizard neck is different than the Wizard neck we have today. JEMs probably won't change because that's what Vai likes. JEMs aren't different because they're better. When you buy a JEM, you're mainly paying for the fact that it's a sig. Change the pickups in an RG and it'll sound like a basswood JEM. But you can't do anything if you wanted alder. Who knows, Ibanez might start making alder RGs, they have mahogany RGs.

This guy's right.

If you really want a JEM, get an alder RG body off of Warmoth routed for HSH pickups, put in an Edge Pro/Edge trem, a JEM neck off of Ebay or a company that makes them, add in Vai's pickups, and you're set.

Total cost for a custom built Warmoth JEM is only like $1500 or less.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
jem and j custom are about the same price here but the j custom looks better built.
nevertheless they are of totally different pickups. so this you might have to consider.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by no_thing101
were they the 2009 prestige guitars? also i know that there are other subtle differences like the neck joint, the inlays, binding and the ball ends on the frets ect. everything that actually matters however is the same. i do agree what you are saying though. i really wanna try suhr and vigier. i went to japan and found amazing stuff (eg walls of j customs) but what i missed was those two brands. for anyone who has been, ochanomizu pwnz.

no i haven't tried the 2009 prestiges yet, unfortunately. that's based on older prestiges which i've tried.

i've seen pics of japanese guitar shops, they look absolutely amazing. i'd end up going on holiday to japan and spending 85% of my holiday inside the guitar shops...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quality wise and all that jazz is definitely worth it.

However, whenever I hear someone play something on it, it sounds like VAI on a bad day.

Seriously, Even if you play blues, you still hear an over characterised vai tone. Which works great and I like the tone, but it's all it can do.

Even when playing metal it stil has that vai-ish mid range tone.

I guess with heavy eq-uing and a good amp it can get away from the vai sound, but then why spend 2+ grand on it?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
No the fret inlays are paper under clear parts on the fretboard. I sh*t the not, paper. You're getting raped for a name. Besides Steve Vai's actual guitar is custom made for him not the same its not the same jem for everyone else.
UG's Prodigal Son