im a relatively new player... only been playin for about year... never took lessons... and im learnin some guns n roses n want to tune my guitar down a step...but i have not really developed an ear to tune by ear and my tuner only does whole notes...(no flats/sharps) so i was curious if i play each string on the first fret and tune it to playin on the first fret is that same as tunin it down a step?
That would be tuning up half a step. Just get a tuner that reads sharps and flats
^ yes do that. From the sound of it... you need help with it, so get a tuner that reads them, plus it will be more accurate.
but if you tune 1st frets to E A D G B E then yes it would be tunes down. as mentioned above get a better tuner
GNR Is pretty much always half step down not full step its usually in Eb a full step down would be D Standard
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
k so not to sound ignorant but this makes perfect sense to me

tunin down u just move each note down right? because Eb is lower then E so therefore E would move down on the fret board?
I see what you're saying now. You don't want to tune to the 1st fret, you want to use the 1st fret as a reference.

that might work, either way though, a good tuner is only $20 and worth every penny.
Quote by gymcreep
I see what you're saying now. You don't want to tune to the 1st fret, you want to use the 1st fret as a reference.

that might work, either way though, a good tuner is only $20 and worth every penny.

yeah.. i would but im a broke college student... got work w/ wat i got lol
The thing that Ive found that makes it easy for me to tune in and out of different tunings easily and with OUT a tuner is getting my low E into the tune I need, then its simply a matter of tuning the rest of the strings and listening for them to harmonize.

This doesnt require you to learn the pitch of each sharp and flat, just use your low E as a key and then find the frets you need to turn A through e into the tuning you need and just listen for the strings to harmonize when you tune, then youre in tune.

..if that makes sense (which it does to me)
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Jan 21, 2009,
If you're tuning down by a half-step then just put a capo on your 1st fret and tune to normal EADGBe. Take the capo off and now you're down a half step.
buy a tuner or compaere the tunings of the strings to the 4th fret on the lower string.

so to tune your 1st string you'd make it the same pitch as the 4th fret on the 2nd string instead of the 5th fret. this is the same for the 3rd 4th 5th strings

but when tuning the 2nd string compare it to the 3rd fret of the 3rd string instead of the usual 4th.

for the 6th string tune it similarly to the 5th string, but compare the pitch of the 6th strings 4th fret to the pitch of the 5th sltring played open.

i hope that made sense.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."