The thing that really pisses me off about the Bass is the fact of the extreme lack of resources there is for the bass compared to a regular guitar.I'm currently self teaching myself bass and everyday I find it increasingly harder to learn because there nothing out there that can guide me.For the guitar there's resources like Youtube, DVD's and etc. but for the bass is like everybody forgets that it even exist. I just wanted to know everybody else opinion on this.
There are plenty of resources on the web.

You just havent been bothered to google them yet.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
There's everything for bass that there is for guitar. If you open your eyes you'll see. I have at least two bass dvd's, books, then there's bass guitar magazine, if you look there's youtube lessons.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
*drumroll please*

I personally own over 50 books, yes 50 books on bass alone. Its a severe addiction that is fueled by the fact that the local used book store gets a new bunch in every week. And I always find one I haven't seen before.

You are not trying too hard. A google search will bring up thousands of hits. Take a chill pill and start looking.
Quote by anarkee
*drumroll please*

I personally own over 50 books, yes 50 books on bass alone. Its a severe addiction that is fueled by the fact that the local used book store gets a new bunch in every week. And I always find one I haven't seen before.

You are not trying too hard. A google search will bring up thousands of hits. Take a chill pill and start looking.

this. bass has many videos, I do believe you can watch Flea, Wooten, and Hamm videos online, (not sure on Hamm) you get Hal Leanord, we have a few magazines, albeit crappy ones, and all that jazz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've been playing the guitar for ~13 years and just started to get interested in bass last year. I wanted to start from the absolute basics, taking advantage of my previous guitar knowledge but trying to "hardwire" the new info into my brain in a "different folder" so to speak.

I tried the Hal Leonard Bass Method and even though it's really, REALLY basic stuff, it really helped me out. Beware: You may or may not like the musical exercises in the book.
I think people calling the electric guitar a "regular guitar" pisses me off even more. I still have ears and eyes. I don't need to be spoonfed what to do. Neither do you. Other than to be told that a guitar in the 'bass register' is complete idiocy and people who think it exists with the exception of Anthony Jackson need to attend Corey Lidle Flight School immediately.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by anarkee
Take a chill pill

haha I always thought this was weedgy slang, I didn't think even east coasters would've used it.

I know I'm gonna get ripped to shreds for this, I'd like to point out I've been playing bass for 4~5 years. But there are some parralells between guitar and bass and you shouldn't just write something off because it says "guitar" on the front; I did learn some stuff flicking through my brother's guitar magazines etc. also, If I can't find the bass tab for something on here i'll just open up the chord sheet or the guitar tab and make up my own bassline sometimes if it's fairly simple stuff; also bear in mind power tabs have bass parts aswell half the time - you just click on the bass clef thing.
I wouldn't actually buy a guitar book or DVD, (but then I've never bought a bass book so that kind of isn't relevent ).

I don't know... I'm self taught but I never felt there was a lack of literature on bass - I thinks there's just rakes of stuff on guitar. If you go into a music shop looking for eg: rock keyboard books you'll be lucky to find one or two.
^That.

I NEVER learned pentatonic scales on bass. Never. I learned them on guitar, and then I was able to play them on bass. Also, I'm 100% self taught, and have never had a lesson. There's PLENTY of resources out there for bass.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
isnt it nice to know your first post is a dumb one? there are unlimited resources on the web for bass, you just have to look harder
awww can't the ickle baby find any bass resources?

is the baby gonna cry?

throw his toys out of the pram?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Guitar and bass guitar are pretty much one in my mind, to follow the metaphor used above they are in the "same folder".
Bass guitar vs. upright is where is really gets different.
Well this thread failed.
i mean everyone already said what i have to say. lmao
"Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems"
Yeah try playing drums
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Teachers are good resources too.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
If so then can somebody suggest me some good quality bass dvd's that are out there.
Quote by DCarney9116
Yeah try playing drums

It's so much harder!!
Of course, I say this as a jazz drummer.
Bass and guitar seem simple after "Blue Rondo a la Turk"
But Faubus makes up for it all.
Go cry emo kid, life goes on.

Or you could get a teacher, and then be able to say that you have actual training under your belt.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
if u want to get real crazy, pick up a guitar book and apply it to bass. I've done that with a couple jazz books and I improved a great deal. It really gets you thinking melodically. If thats your thing I cant recommend it enough.
Quote by esposito123
if u want to get real crazy, pick up a guitar book and apply it to bass. I've done that with a couple jazz books and I improved a great deal. It really gets you thinking melodically. If thats your thing I cant recommend it enough.

Good suggestion
"And if God is dead what am I,
a fleck of dirt on the wing of a fly
hurtling to earth
through a hole in the sky"
We're all bassists here, don't see us complainin'. We do just fine. Also, refer to my previous posts.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by froggyman
I'm not up to date on my U.K slang, what is a pram??

a thing babies get wheeled around in by their parents. the full word is perambulator.

do they call them buggy's everywhere else?

oh and it couldnt've been that hard to google the word pram could it?
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=pram&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Jan 23, 2009,
I taught myself almost everything I know just by practicing. I learned some stuff on this website looking at the lessons.
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
Quote by CBNJ
The only thing that bothers me is the lack of bass tabs for most songs.

Don't let that stop you. Listen to it by ear. You'll have to sooner or later. Better start early. Who knows, it might help you play along songs with an impromptu solo to boot!
I apologize if I offended anyone by the way i was ranting but the reason I got so worked up because I'm a visual learner. Its very hard for me to read a book or something and try to adopt it.I do have some books like Bass Guitar for Dummies but I just can't seem to put any of it to practice.That's why I suggested if any of you knew and good quality instructional DVD's for bass that I can use.Something like Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz
Quote by anarkee
^isn't that an album by Elefante?

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Guitar-Lessons-Beginning-instructional/dp/B0009HKUEK

One of many starter bass DVDs etc.

As a matter of fact, it is. But I use it everyday when people say they "didn't find info at Uni or at work"
Quote by soulcentric
The thing that really pisses me off about the Bass is the fact of the extreme lack of resources there is for the bass compared to a regular guitar.I'm currently self teaching myself bass and everyday I find it increasingly harder to learn because there nothing out there that can guide me.For the guitar there's resources like Youtube, DVD's and etc. but for the bass is like everybody forgets that it even exist. I just wanted to know everybody else opinion on this.

In the time it took for you to bitch about a lack of resources, I stumbled across over 4 dozen sites and lessons on Youtube.
You stole my Overture
Quit learning from a page or a screen and start learning from your ears. Play along to the radio, improvise, learn some scales; aside from having to transpose 2 strings, scales are exactly the same for guitar and bass.

You aren't limited by the available resources, you're limited by your misconception that you need them.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i self taught by using youtube and bass tabs and also i haave a DVD and im fine so i think you should open your eyes more
Clearly somebody jsut needs to show the guy how to switch a powertab to the bass part.

What? I'm not gonna do it.... I"M BUSY!