I see alot of places where someone will say"turn the gain down" and whenever i adjust my gain, i can't hear any difference. How is Gain supposed to affect my tone? What is the average amp set on gain?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
It gives a more solid, distorted sound.
Its just preference theres no certain setting
I like R&B Slow Jam & Funk songs best. Comment me if you likey.
Pretty much all music is good to me.
Haters gonna hate
It could be your gear, as the nuances of tone might not be displayed as well with what you're using. That being said, as a lower-end rig the gear you have is by no means bad. That being said, it's more likely you haven't developed the ear to notice the changes in tone all that well yet. Just keep playing and you'll notice what sounds good and what doesn't!
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
One of two possibilities: one, your gear is broken. Two, you haven't developed a very good ear. The latter is more likely.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
One of two possibilities: one, your gear is broken. Two, you haven't developed a very good ear. The latter is more likely.

Probably my ear, my gear is from 1-3 months old
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
no gain= no sound, atleast on my amp. when I turn the gain up, the volume gets louder, and if I put it higher, it overdrives...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
usually when people say "turn the gain down" it's because people crank the gain to 10 thinking it's more "br00tal" to have the gain cranked, then come on UG asking why their tone is sloppy and undefined, when it's because their gain is too high - it really depends on the amp, and your ears, as to where you should have the gain set.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
You may have a clean channel and and a "dirty" channel.

By switching to my dirty channel my gain takes affect, but I don't get gain on my clean channel as noticeabley. Do you have multiple channels?
Quote by Trickycindy
You're a f*cking wanker.

Quote by JC13
@Prole... Magnificent...

Quote by ZanasCross
Thanks sir. Unbanned.
Yes, my amp has a clean channel and an overdrive channel, i can hear the difference when i crank it up on my overdriven channel, just not my clean.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
Yes, my amp has a clean channel and an overdrive channel, i can hear the difference when i crank it up on my overdriven channel, just not my clean.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
I think they are saying that most ppl overdo the gain when they're playing distorted and it can sound way too muffled.. or just like a$$. Rolling it back just a tad will give you more clarity when playing distorted solos and stuff.

If anything, set one pickup like your lead pickup (if you have a pickup selector) to have lower volume than the other and switch to it when you want to play solos and have more clarity...
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Theres a fine line between having enough gain and having too much. The other day I heard an example of too much at the guitar store I almost had to tell the kid to turn his gain down cause it sounded horrible with that much.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor