I was at guitarcenter the other day and I played dozens of acoustics and the only one that sounded as good as my cheap Fender DG-8 was another Fender I don't remember which model it was. Could it be I am just attached to my guitar? The guitars I played sounded rather dull and thin, whereas my acoustic sounds very full.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Sounds like you may be attached to it...
Try a few different acoustics and keep in mind that the strings will make a world of difference.
Check out a Taylor Big Baby... they're not too expensive but sound nice. A bit cheaply made though.

Ive have the same feeling about my Cheap guitar to i love the feel of it and it sounds decent/good,yet ive tried more high end ones in the store but it feelt weird.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
The only other acoustics that I've played that I liked were high end Taylors
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

yea i love my cheap guitar
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Also, don't forget that they set up all the expensive guitars at Guitar Center so they'll sound better. Like the other guy said, strings also make a big difference.
The contoured back on the Bigbaby really makes a difference. Like I said though... it looks a bit cheap for a Taylor, having a bolt on neck and all.
Don't let that fool you, it's a great guitar. Make sure you're trying out the Bigbaby, and not the baby (which is smaller and shorter scale I believe)

Bigbaby's sell for around $450

Quote by Rockinguitar
Also, don't forget that they set up all the expensive guitars at Guitar Center so they'll sound better. Like the other guy said, strings also make a big difference.

Yeah I know which is why I am confused as to why they didnt sound good.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I have a love/hate relationship with my cheap guitar, sometimes it sounds great then other times it sounds awful.

When I went to try out guitars in my local shop none sounded that much better than my guitar, even the high end acoustics, but they do set up the guitars horribly and leave them sat on the shelf for a while.

Anyway.. its always hard to be impartial with a guitar your attached too, try to get some external opinions
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
I'm not in the market for a new one, but I was just wondering if anybody else was like this too.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

So it's not just me! ahaha.

I've got a Rogue RA-100D (one of those cheapo laminates you get for $80) and though I have and love an awesome Seagull S6, I still use my Rogue a lot as my alternate tuning guitar. It's easy to play, sounds good and I love it. haha. =p
I always thought my old acoustic, which I bought on the side of the road in a little town near my cottage for $75 sounded as good as any I'd played in a giutar store, but now that I have a better guitar, I can really tell the difference. I think you just get used to the sound of it..
I wasn't exactly attached to my guitar, but I spent a long time kicking tires thinking nothing was sounding better..or .. enough better to justify cost. When I found my new guitar, which I won't name just so it doesn't start a debat, I knew within just a few strums.

One thing I will say however.... you get used to the sound of YOUR guitar... and the playing position isn't always the best way to judge. Get the sales person or tech to play for you while you stand at different angles and distances away from the guitar. Sound is only part of a guitar upgrade as well. You should find a more expensive guitar should play easier, pride longer notes (sustain), it should keep tune better, it have finer adjustments on the machine heads. I should have a tighter tuning better low and high parts of the neck... etc.
Also, the wood a guit is made of and even methods for mounting strings to the body will affect whether you get a bright sound, or a bass sound, or something more balanced.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Quote by james4
I always thought my old acoustic, which I bought on the side of the road in a little town near my cottage for $75 sounded as good as any I'd played in a giutar store, but now that I have a better guitar, I can really tell the difference. I think you just get used to the sound of it..

This was my experience as well except I bought my first guitar at a store instead of on the side of the road

I do still love my first guitar though. It's a Takamine GS330S. It has a lot of dings and dents and several cracks in the soundboard but it still sounds and plays great and it still gets played!
yes! i love my Dean to death! for some reason i like the sound of cheaper guitars. only a few martins have really made me drool! i find most higher-end guitars to be WAY to bass-y. my dean is bright and loud and just very natural sounding. it just rings out perfectly. *some* higer-end guitars do play better but still sound like sh!t(to me).

i know they are set-up perfecly because ive seen the tech set them up. he is very good and knows his sh!t.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Well, everyone will be used to the sound of their own guitar.

What I should say is this: The reason they sounded dull and thin is because those guitars have the same strings on them that they were strung up with from the factory. Now, mind you, some of those guitars have been in there for a while. They have old, dull sounding strings, and won't give you the true sound of the guitar.

Seriously.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
yes but the tech at my GC sets-up ALL (acoustic) guitars (new and used) within a week of them entering the store. depending on how often they are played and how fast the strings corrode he sets them up AT LEAST 1x a month. some get set up like every 2 weeks. he is very on top of the acoustics and loves the sound of new strings. so its not the strings!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I am absolutely in love with my cheapo Fender DG-7...of course, after changing out the strings, setting the action to how I like, and even frosting the neck to get more of a non-lacquered feel (I hate the glossy finish). As of right now I really can't play better on anything else.
crazy talking animals
Quote by f22master
yes but the tech at my GC sets-up ALL (acoustic) guitars (new and used) within a week of them entering the store. depending on how often they are played and how fast the strings corrode he sets them up AT LEAST 1x a month. some get set up like every 2 weeks. he is very on top of the acoustics and loves the sound of new strings. so its not the strings!

Maybe you were just playing lemons? I don't know what to tell you. I mean, the strings thing would be the culprit at my local GC. No one that works there knows the first thing about guitars.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray