Page 1 of 2
I was playing a gig recently, and as the over-the-top frontmant that I perpetuate, I made a comment before we jumped into our cover of Foxy Lady- "This one is for all you groovadelic chicks out there" and also " "We're Electric Religion, and we play mother ****ing rock and roll so if you came hear to hear Greenday covers, than get the **** out" ... Apparently it was taken as a Joke when I was really serious about it! I get very into my mannerisms... My question is- Can kids deal with over the top, sexually open, intrinsically in your face frontmen anymore? Where's the Hendrx and the Daltrey and the Plant!? seriously it's like anything that isn't some retarded cry for attention becuase a kid lost his girlfriend is not cool for crowd banter

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing? or adjust to taste?
Quote by Highwaytohell
Apparently it was taken as a Joke when I was really serious about it! I get very into my mannerisms... My question is- Can kids deal with over the top, sexually open, intrinsically in your face frontmen anymore?

How 'bout no-one actually takes shit-talking seriously.

Grow up.
Be as filthy as you want. I wouldn't bash things other people might like though. Protest the Hero did that for no good reason when I saw them and I thought it was a bit uncalled for. If you're going to be on the music scene you really shouldn't be up there bashing other people's ****, ideals, way of life, etc... Just make it fun for the crowd.
Quote by Highwaytohell
"This one is for all you groovadelic chicks out there" and also " "We're Electric Religion, and we play mother ****ing rock and roll so if you came hear to hear Greenday covers, than get the **** out" ... I was really serious about it!

You're a c u n t.
Quote by NemX162
Be as filthy as you want. I wouldn't bash things other people might like though. Protest the Hero did that for no good reason when I saw them and I thought it was a bit uncalled for. If you're going to be on the music scene you really shouldn't be up there bashing other people's ****, ideals, way of life, etc... Just make it fun for the crowd.

Hmm good point. Probably should leave out the greenday part next time
I just want to have fun with these kids, it just makes me sad when they think i'm trying to offend them or anything. I don't think i'm taking it too seriously, i'm sorry, I meant in my first post that they were taking it 2 seriously, i wrote it wrong .

Quote by stephen_rettie
you said groovadelic?
you must have been rolling in the pussy afterwords!!

Nobody is smooth enough to say stuff like that now-a-days.
Plant and Hendrix were smooth dudes--nobody is like that anymore, especially the kids.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Nobody is smooth enough to say stuff like that now-a-days.
Plant and Hendrix were smooth dudes--nobody is like that anymore, especially the kids.

Ah you mean the audiance? of course... all these ****ing edgy whiney bitchy kids probly don't understand smooth like we do sleaze... (well i am a kid but I genearlly don't listen to most non-stoner metal / oldschool / experimental music that comes after 1995)
True.
Being a smooth cat is an art lost on this generation.
Same with being classy. (I'm talkin' 'Rat Pack classy'.)
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Banter is dangerous and should be keeped to a minimum, also if you dont know how to swear then you shouldnt. and if you know how to swear then you know what I mean by that.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
Banter is dangerous and should be keeped to a minimum, also if you dont know how to swear then you shouldnt. and if you know how to swear then you know what I mean by that.

Pretty much this.
You don't need to drop the f-bomb or bitch about music you don't like every 10 seconds to be cool.
Quote by SKAtastic7770

oh good, im not the only one who thought it was more than just a little strange.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Banter is all about timing and pacing, get it right and you'll have them thinking you're awesome.

In the space of one well timed joke I brought my band up in status from "the band that plays really long hard rock/ progressive/alternative songs at an indie battle of the bands" to "That cool band that tried something different and was aware of it with out being pretentious"

We were playing last and all the other bands had been decidedly indie, as in the British brand of landfill indie. Jangly guitars, off beat rhythms and forced northern accents. After the first song I said "You may have noticed that we're a bit different from the other bands here tonight" there was a second as people expected me to go "BECAUSE WE'RE ACTUALLY! GOOD LONG LIVE REAL MUSIC YEAAAH!" But what I actually said was "Yes, as you've no doubt become aware by now, we are in fact a soulja boy tribute act." It was smooth sailing from there and we came first that round
Last edited by rizo299 at Jan 21, 2009,
hendrix and all them are 20 years back. sorry about that. But noone takes that seriously anymore. They only care about newer styles of music. Especially the avenged sevenfold cry in your arms crap
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by stephen_rettie
you said groovadelic?
you must have been rolling in the pussy afterwords!!

hahahaha
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by rizo299
BUt what I actually said was "Yes, as you've no doubt become aware by now, we are in fact a soulja boy tribute act."

I'm sorry, but that's really lame.
Whoever thought that was clever and/or witty was sorely mistaken.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
I thought it was clever, considering both the situation AND the fact that he came up with it one the spot (probably).
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Talking about Souja Boy has been done to death.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Talking about Souja Boy has been done to death.

It happened during the time where soulja boy was unavoidable and every where.

If I said it last week it'd be lame, but I said it then and it was topical,self-deprecating and ice breaking.

As I said, timing and pacing.

Don't be a douche.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jan 21, 2009,
I'm not being a douche about it.
I'm merely pointing out that it wasn't as clever as it sounded.
I've seen a lot of bands that say stuff like that and I can never take them seriously.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I've seen a lot of bands that say stuff like that and I can never take them seriously.

It's not about being taken seriously, it's about getting the crowd on your side; because in those situations pretension is a death wish.

If I thought I was a comic genius I'd be doing stand up not playing in a band. I was just giving an example of how timing, pacing and self-deprecation can turn a crowd to your favour; not of brandishing Wildean wit to gain their intellectual approval.
I find it's more important to feel like your part of the audience and get them on your side than to be taken seriously.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by Tig Bitties
hendrix and all them are 20 years back. sorry about that. But noone takes that seriously anymore. They only care about newer styles of music. Especially the avenged sevenfold cry in your arms crap

Since when did Avenged Sevenfold sing about crying in your arms? Quiet, please.

TS, just be who you are. Don't try to be this big mega star onstage, it shouldn't be necessary if your music is great.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ay my last gig I said "I want to thank you all for letting us ejaculate our music all over you."
Crowd reaction?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
If you can't think of something to say, just thank the venue for having you or thank people for organizing. Also acknowledge the audience, tell them they're giving you great energy or something like that, that they're fun to play for. If nothing else talk about your songs, tell them what its about, if its about a girl and you're single say its about someone special, even if its not. Its just something to connect.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
And if you're playing with other bands, always say, "Stick around for _________, you don't want to miss them." It'll get you closer to the other bands.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
THIS is professional banter:

Maynard: ..Mbaaaaa....Mbaaaa....baa...

Devin Townsend: 'Get down here and suck...my buddy's....****!'

^ try to be a little bit more like them.
Just from what you posted your banter seems like it'd be lame and awkward. I mean, groovadelic?
I never thought it would generate so many posts!

Groovadelic ... that way you don't have to say groovy and psychadelic separetly!
Sure it is a bit nerdy... Maybe people just don't get the fact that musicians are wierd... I know I'm a freakin freak

Lol i laughed at this thread.

My bands thing is we call our songs musical babies. One time I actually said, "Alright, we're gonna drop another musical baby on you. We hope you enjoy it." The faces in the crowd were hilarious but they were cracking up so hard we all had a good laugh. It was totally unintentional.
My question is- Can kids deal with over the top, sexually open, intrinsically in your face frontmen anymore?

No, but let's hope the next few rising stars can change that.
I really liked your sample patter - modern music is very sterile and younger audiences need to be introduced to a little bit . But truthfully, have you got the image and talent to match the words, or is it 'all talk and no trousers'?

Any sort of pseudo-arrogant banter like that only works if you sound like you mean it and the majority of the audience are on your side: otherwise it'll come off as lame, condescending and pompous.
For example, shouting "motherf**king rock and roll!" at an acoustic open mic night will make you sound like a complete arsehole, but in front of a big, wild crowd it should do the trick (as long as you band have the chops to match).

That said, one of the best gigs I've ever been to was Joe Bonamassa - who humbly stepped up to the mic and (in his small, sqeaky voice) thanked everyone for their time and attention. Then proceeded to melt the first five rows' faces off with the finest guitar playing I've ever experienced.

Satch is pretty similar, come to think of it. Food for thought.
^ i thought that was funny as for a closing line
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Quote by kyle62
I really liked your sample patter - modern music is very sterile and younger audiences need to be introduced to a little bit . But truthfully, have you got the image and talent to match the words, or is it 'all talk and no trousers'?

Any sort of pseudo-arrogant banter like that only works if you sound like you mean it and the majority of the audience are on your side: otherwise it'll come off as lame, condescending and pompous.
For example, shouting "motherf**king rock and roll!" at an acoustic open mic night will make you sound like a complete arsehole, but in front of a big, wild crowd it should do the trick (as long as you band have the chops to match).

That said, one of the best gigs I've ever been to was Joe Bonamassa - who humbly stepped up to the mic and (in his small, sqeaky voice) thanked everyone for their time and attention. Then proceeded to melt the first five rows' faces off with the finest guitar playing I've ever experienced.

Satch is pretty similar, come to think of it. Food for thought.

Hmmm. I think it's that some people just don't know me as a person, and since my attitude and philosophy and mannerisms are better left out as an excerpt from Easy Rider people really have no idea where I'm coming from. Younger crowds are very, lets just call them, Sensative to openess. Is there any reason though, Why I should not attempt to break a small barrier and come at them with something a little politically incorrect? Don't think so

I suppose the key is context- Obviously I wouldn't say crap like that at a0n acoustic open mic show- Its tougher you know, because most of the gigs around here put us up with indie bands. I really want to get people interested
Powerful Stage presence, in my opinion, is one of the most important things a guy can have.
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Jan 22, 2009,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Should I just keep doing what I'm doing? or adjust to taste?

Pull a G.G. Allen. Do it, you know you want to.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by Sleaze Disease

Gigs aren't about being taken seriously, especially at the stage (no pun intended) of playing at a Battle of the Bands. And humor's not about being clever all the time. It's about timing and demeanor. If someone has just played a very progressive song, and then with a completely straight face, announces themselves to be a Soulja Boy tribute act, and you don't laugh, there's a SLIGHT chance you're too serious. To paraphrase Mart Twain, the funniest of stories is told with the gravest of expressions.
Page 1 of 2