simple question as ive never thought about this before, can you play bass with a guitar head and bass cab? does it work? does it affect your tone its some bad way?

just curious,

thanks
dont think so. i'm not into bass that much but something tells me it wouldnt work.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
It would work, but it would sound really crappy.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
It would work, but it would sound really crappy.

Pretty much. Nothing will get damaged, as the speakers can handle the bass fine. However, the head is likely to have a high pass filter on it, and the EQ will not be set at an effective range for bass. It will work though, but will probably not sound good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It won't sound crappy, it'll sound different. Josh Homme used to do it in the Kyuss days just to get a different sound. Thick and creamy - like somebody spiked Half and Half with 100-proof.
Quote by gm jack
Pretty much. Nothing will get damaged, as the speakers can handle the bass fine. However, the head is likely to have a high pass filter on it, and the EQ will not be set at an effective range for bass. It will work though, but will probably not sound good.

it would probably sound okay if you bi-amped with a decent bass amp and cab and set a crossover so the lows would be sent to the bass head and highs to the guitar head
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by TimboSlice
It won't sound crappy, it'll sound different. Josh Homme used to do it in the Kyuss days just to get a different sound. Thick and creamy - like somebody spiked Half and Half with 100-proof.

If I'm correct he played guitar through a bass amp. Not just through an guitar amp and bass cab.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
im pretty sure ryan martinie of Mudvayne uses guitar heads along with his bass heads live and lemmy uses guitar heads too
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
im pretty sure ryan martinie of Mudvayne uses guitar heads along with his bass heads live and lemmy uses guitar heads too

He only put his highs and high mids through an SWR Workingman 10 through Tribbett's 412 cabs in the studiio. Live it's just straight up bass-ampery.
My buddy does that, sounds awesome. He is also in a band that consists of only a bassist and a drummer. He uses the guitar head mainly for the distortion. I love the sound though, so grimey it's wicked.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
It wouldn't sound right unless you really matched the cab up right. The guitar head handles higher frequencies, so the sound would come out distorted.

I have to say that it's great for soloing though.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
Quote by slaptasticdave
If I'm correct he played guitar through a bass amp. Not just through an guitar amp and bass cab.

My bad, ti;drc. Which is, "too illiterate; didn't read correctly." Which is what I am, and what I did.
Josh Homme played his GUITAR through a guitar head and into a bass cab.
But for the love of god SEARCHBAR!
I made a thread on this (along with some other questions) a while ago.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Your sound can suffer, but not always. It depends on the head. If you've already got a guitar head and bass cab, give it a try.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by TANKER69

lemmy uses a bass head.
granted it's a marshall bass head so it dosnt really change much.
but it was DESIGNED as a bass head
That's how I'm set up. Randall RH-200 through a Hartke 4x10. Personally I like the tone, I can go distorted and get a funky growl (if you do power chords on the D and G string it sounds like a guitar), plus I can switch back to clean for a more traditional bass tone.

-Edit + Fun fact-
The original Marshall amps(and some of the current JCM/JVMs) were based on a Fender Bassman amp, which was (you guessed it) a bass amp. Since a lot of amp head makers design their amps similier to a Marshall, most people are just playing through hot-rodded bass amps.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jan 24, 2009,