Hey i was just wondering why People often add overdrive pedals to their sound- even if they already have a great amp? What does it do that an amps gain can't do?
sometimes and OD pedal can add life, punch and tighten up an amp
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by familybucket
Hey i was just wondering why People often add overdrive pedals to their sound- even if they already have a great amp? What does it do that an amps gain can't do?

Overdrive forces a valve amp to work harder, giving it a more distorted and clipped sound.

Simply, it gives the amp a far harsher tone and more distorted. Suitable for Rock-Metal.

It also sounds more organic than solid state "distortion"
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
-For overdriven/distorted tones at lower volumes because they can't get amp overdrive at lower volumes, mainly non master volume amps

-Some people use them to tighten up their low end, Tubescreamer based overdrives generally are good at that. Something like the ZVex Box of Rock is not the type of OD to use to tighten up your low end.

-Some use them as a boost by turning down the drive knob and turning up the volume on the pedal. I personally hate most overdrives as boosts but some like it.

Quote by vulgarmachine
Overdrive forces a valve amp to work harder, giving it a more distorted and clipped sound.

Simply, it gives the amp a far harsher tone and more distorted. Suitable for Rock-Metal.

It also sounds more organic than solid state "distortion"

The only way it'll push an amp harder if it's set it up as a boost, and not all overdrive pedals act well as a boost. The general point of an overdrive pedal is to try and simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. The pedal uses it's own clipping to do this and there's a number of ways to do it and it's generally done with solid state parts; transistors (including FETs), opamps, and diodes. And I'm well aware of tube overdrive pedals.