Just a quick question on these motions. Picking will primariliy come from the wrist, got that. Elbow should move to change strings, got that. How do you use your forearm when picking? Is it moving your forearm via the bicep and tricep and the elbow joint or using the muscles in your forearm to rotate or twist your wrist?
The first one. Bicep muscle moving your arm up and down, although my wrist rotates a bit when changing strings, but that has to do with the angle changing a bit.
You're kind of confusing joints and muscles here.

The "elbow" movements that change strings come from the bicep and tricep, the finer wrist muscles - including, but not exclusively, the rotatory muscles in the forearm - do the actual picking.

Does that clear things up?
Yeah I think I understand now. It just seems a bit confusing that alot of times when talking about picking the wrist and forearm are talked about seperately.
Quote by Ty17983
Yeah I think I understand now. It just seems a bit confusing that alot of times when talking about picking the wrist and forearm are talked about seperately.

Yeah, it's tricky when people aren't specific, innit? It's just that they expect nobody to actually pay attention to the details.
Yeah, for sure. It's hard to find any good information for just that reason. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
Is it okay that when I tremolo pick I can feel my bicep/tricep tense up a tiny bit? (No pain at all, normal feeling).
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
^Until I discovered this forum my picking arm used to tense up and I could only pick at two speeds-moderate and superfast sloppy useless tense painful picking! Now my technique is getting fast and more relaxed.

It's ok to pick from the wrist. I prefer to pick from the forearm, simply cuz the wrist has smaller muscles and so it gets tired quicker.

Obviously this is more prevalent and noticeable when shredding.

If you keep your wrist light and relaxed, and pick from the forearm, it'll shake your wrist about, making it look like you're picking from the wrist.
Quote by Ty17983
Is it moving your forearm via the bicep and tricep and the elbow joint or using the muscles in your forearm to rotate or twist your wrist?

Both. Bicep/tricep is basically string-to-string translation.

Forearm/wrist rotation is one of the possible wrist movements, the other being side-to-side.
You should pick using your elbow as the joint that moves... It tires more slowly than your wrist and won't cramp up as easily.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Well I think it's a very stupid advice to say that you should pick from your elbow and saying that it doesnt tire so much.. First of all you're hand shouldn't get tired at all when youre playing correctly and relaxed and what comes to me I pick from the wrist and it has never really gotten so much tired even when shredding 'cause when picking from the wrist its by all means more relaxed than from the elbow. Elbow picking is always more tense than wrist, what I've noticed elbowpicking tires my hand a zillion times more than wrist picking, and wrist picking is so much more controlled and less sloppy than elbow. So my advice and I think a majoritys advice: WRIST