I feel like such a noob asking for help about this. I've been playing a good 4 years and electric is really my home but Im getting into acoustical stuff now. I have a dean acoustic, Im not really sure the model, its in the mid range of their product line up. Its not extremely expensive but isn't made cheap. Now for my problem!

The G string doesn't like barre chords, I suppose its because the point of my pointer finger rests over the g string. It always comes out muted. I have to put alot of force into making it come out right, sometimes to the point where The note notes go sharp from me pushing so hard.

Is there anything I can do?
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
I think thats a problem most people encounter when switching from electric to acoustic. I can't really suggest anything other than you'll just have to build up your hands until they're strong enough.

You could also try using lighter strings, unless you're using the lightest available already.
Move your barring finger about a bit and see what posistion you can barre the whole fretboard easiest with.

And as the guy above said, building strength will take time.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
I see I see. I kind of figured that was the only way out of that, other than maybe lowering my action a little? But I have no idea how to do that. I'm currently using 11s on it right now.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
11s are what I use now and they seem fine, the problem with getting a lighter gauge as you'll get a less full sound and its better to develop on higher tension strings.

Is your action particularly high?
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
well, its never been adjusted. I think I could go down quite a bit without getting any fret buzz. Playing an F barre chord is almost impossible.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
I think you should run by a music store ... or someone you know who plays and get them to jam on it a bit... . see if they encounter the same problem. If they do, you know it's the guitar.. if they don't.... they you've got some finger exercises to do.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Hmm, how difficult is it to set it up? Do you have any guides. Because I'm pretty sure its the guitar.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
I found this on a Dean guitar blog. I think it gets the idea accross quite well.

On any Dean acoustic guitar, underneath the saddle, they've added 2 extra strips of plastic. Why? Well I'm glad you asked. I'm guessing they figured that one could adjust the height of the saddle by removing these 2 strips. Yea i adjusted it alright...took my palm sander to it and knocked it down some more after that...and then again.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
ill be sure to try that when i change strings. What about up at the top of the neck? should i file those down too a little?
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
The fact you siad an F is very hard to play in particular, I'd say it sounds like you're nut is too high. I think a replacement nut would sort out your action that end, which would probably help you the most.
What do you mean by the 'point of your pointy finger mutes the G string'?

When playing an F barre chord the pointer finger (and I presume you mean your first finger) is only barring the low E, B & high E strings. The second finger plays the G string. (A)

??